59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: George Floyd murdered by cops

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    I agree I am definitely not an advocate of letting the guy just run away and tried to catch him another day. Why didn't they fire a warning shot? Why didn't they aim for the foot or the calf or the arm?

It's easy for us to say I guess we also do have to consider the perspective of the police officer who may indeed be quite angry after just getting punched
    You trained to fire center mass. Warning shot it's not a cartoon bud . And then burning down the Wendys ffs because a manager called the cops. Crazy days man.
    I dont think firing a warning shot or shooting at the legs is a cartoon bro. Its not a bad move as the guy had his back turned running away. also I didnt support the Wendy's arson.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you don't shoot someone in the back. firearms one o one
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

See, now I lean to the flip side. Firstly does a cop not get due process of any sort. Here's all I know, the man was found to be operating a vehicle while intoxicated. resisted arrest, punched a cop, disarmed him and subsequently turned and fired at him. A taser yep a taser but a taser is a weapon. I'm not all 'hey blast the crap out of him' but I don't think any of us can say we'd not rattle under exactly 2-3 seconds in that situation. Devils advocate but I just think we're entering an unrealistic load on people who are in a position to stop crime. It's a whole different world when we start saying 'let a guy go who just assaulted cops and attempted to target them' get away for another day. We say the cop knew he had a taser did the suspect know it was a taser. It sucks and no one should have died but this is a whole new can of worms requiring a cop to throw their hands up and walk away from literally 4,5 crimes committed. Things are going to get real messy.

I just think it's quite a distance between perceiving a threat to your own life (if you're the cop), and just not wanting someone to get away. Shooting fleeing suspects in the back is becoming all too common and, if that's gonna be the standard from now on...... police forces should just come out and say it, instead of blabbing on about only using deadly force when it's absolutely necessary.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    See, now I lean to the flip side. Firstly does a cop not get due process of any sort. Here's all I know, the man was found to be operating a vehicle while intoxicated. resisted arrest, punched a cop, disarmed him and subsequently turned and fired at him. A taser yep a taser but a taser is a weapon. I'm not all 'hey blast the crap out of him' but I don't think any of us can say we'd not rattle under exactly 2-3 seconds in that situation. Devils advocate but I just think we're entering an unrealistic load on people who are in a position to stop crime. It's a whole different world when we start saying 'let a guy go who just assaulted cops and attempted to target them' get away for another day. We say the cop knew he had a taser did the suspect know it was a taser. It sucks and no one should have died but this is a whole new can of worms requiring a cop to throw their hands up and walk away from literally 4,5 crimes committed. Things are going to get real messy.
    Well who could have seen this coming?
    People lose perspective and the necessity to differentiate. We're in a world of 'all or nothing' now and are eroding middle ground.
    Can’t say the shooting was justified at this point. Also can’t say it’s as blatantly disgusted as the cop pressing the knee to a pinned guys neck. It looked like the arrest was going well until the dude struggled and grabbed the cops stun gun. Why didn’t he just comply and take the DUI charge? If it’s his first one it would be Wiped clean anyway. The cop will have an issue as a stun gun is not a deadly weapon so I’m not saying it’s justified I’d like to see the courts handle this. So that Burger King was burnt down. Really though it doesn’t serve you well to resist arrest and run. It opens the door for crazy things to happen. It’s a shame to see a dui arrest end in death, shit it’s something like one in every 10 people have a DUI. It would be nice if we could all pause and take a breath. I’ve had police guns drawn on me. Fortunately I froze I imagine if I made any quick movements I’d be full of holes. God knows the timing on this couldn’t have been worse. An article was written in response to this about police in the past being tazed after a suspect got it off the which incapacitated the cop then the suspect got the cops gun and finished him off. I heard the cop was already fired and charges are pending.

It’s not pleasant trying to discuss these things right now. One of my new coworkers spent some time as a cop, he’s not white not that it matters but I’ll be curious to see what he says about this. He was shot in the line of duty I didn’t press for info I’m sure he’s still dealing with some shit. I can say he is a very nice guy and I could see him being a decent cop.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

twice had guns drawn on me, Brooklyn and Jersey City. I froze like a motherfucking Abominable Snowman on Quaaludes.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

did anyone see a muzzle flash?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In fact... no.

I did get to see a video with sound though... and I thought I heard the officer yell "Bang! Bang!" just before the suspect threw himself down on the ground.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

did you see the one where the guy lifts his arm up? what did the cop drop after banging into the car?

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree I am definitely not an advocate of letting the guy just run away and tried to catch him another day. Why didn't they fire a warning shot? Why didn't they aim for the foot or the calf or the arm?

It's easy for us to say I guess we also do have to consider the perspective of the police officer who may indeed be quite angry after just getting punched
    You trained to fire center mass. Warning shot it's not a cartoon bud . And then burning down the Wendys ffs because a manager called the cops. Crazy days man.
    I dont think firing a warning shot or shooting at the legs is a cartoon bro. Its not a bad move as the guy had his back turned running away. also I didnt support the Wendy's arson.
    No I gotcha man. Just I've actually said that to johnny law friends I know and it's mostly something you see in movies etc. And what goes up must come down, we learn that every year around here at New Years eve and stray bullets catching people. Have to think the same with targeting limbs in a split second. Seems it goes against everything taught shooting down range and intentionally aiming off target to again have rounds flying who knows where. Then again as the discussions are going..why'd he have to fire at all with a guy turned around to him. I get that too.

The burning of the place is insane to me. We're at a place where any connection to police involvement that rightly or wrongly but both tragically results in a mans death now results in direct violent retaliation?! What next, target the workers? And seems the City officials just shrug their shoulders and 'oh well' it off. It's one giant clusterfuck trying to sort through events today.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I just think it's quite a distance between perceiving a threat to your own life (if you're the cop), and just not wanting someone to get away. Shooting fleeing suspects in the back is becoming all too common and, if that's gonna be the standard from now on...... police forces should just come out and say it, instead of blabbing on about only using deadly force when it's absolutely necessary.
    Yeh true. The first thought I had was the one a couple of years ago where the cop was allowed to plea out..at first..for shooting Walter Scott in that park. But the cop stopped to take a firing position and just unloaded on the poor guy who was fully turned and completely unarmed. That shat even ended in a hung jury, insanely enough, if I remember right. But again with this one it's all in an instant and I can't get into a cops head after a violent altercation. I just think with the way detractors and defenders are rolling out scenarios that we'll see tons of like reaction now even if Brooks had stopped and was still pointing the taser directly at him.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cops aren’t trained to wound. They are only supposed to use their firearm in “that guy is going to kill me or others” so it’s a deadly force thing. Now a police sniper might try shooting a weapon out of someone’s hand but that’s a different situation. A cop would be fired for shooting a warning shot in the air. Who knows maybe these things can be changed. By the way as far as my coworker being shot on duty he did not tell me that directly, I heard that from people I speak with at the job. I’m not big hearsay but the coworker who told me is a very cute girl of Indian descent and she doesn’t strike me as a bullshitter.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Well who could have seen this coming?
    People lose perspective and the necessity to differentiate. We're in a world of 'all or nothing' now and are eroding middle ground.
    Can’t say the shooting was justified at this point. Also can’t say it’s as blatantly disgusted as the cop pressing the knee to a pinned guys neck. It looked like the arrest was going well until the dude struggled and grabbed the cops stun gun. Why didn’t he just comply and take the DUI charge? If it’s his first one it would be Wiped clean anyway. The cop will have an issue as a stun gun is not a deadly weapon so I’m not saying it’s justified I’d like to see the courts handle this. So that Burger King was burnt down. Really though it doesn’t serve you well to resist arrest and run. It opens the door for crazy things to happen. It’s a shame to see a dui arrest end in death, shit it’s something like one in every 10 people have a DUI. It would be nice if we could all pause and take a breath. I’ve had police guns drawn on me. Fortunately I froze I imagine if I made any quick movements I’d be full of holes. God knows the timing on this couldn’t have been worse. An article was written in response to this about police in the past being tazed after a suspect got it off the which incapacitated the cop then the suspect got the cops gun and finished him off. I heard the cop was already fired and charges are pending.

It’s not pleasant trying to discuss these things right now. One of my new coworkers spent some time as a cop, he’s not white not that it matters but I’ll be curious to see what he says about this. He was shot in the line of duty I didn’t press for info I’m sure he’s still dealing with some shit. I can say he is a very nice guy and I could see him being a decent cop.
    It's a very tough spot. No one needed to die but the talking head reactions and faces flocking to the cameras are really quite bizarre and honestly none of us know all the facts. They're releasing all the footage now. See that's just it...people are already grouping it with Floyd, an obvious defenseless murder of a fully detained person imo. I just listened to a guy insist on 1st degree murder on the cop because Brooks was 'forced to fight for his life'. By what resisting arrest and arming himself after pistol whipping a cop? I didn't even realize that on the initial encounter they literally told him to 'go park and sleep it off' and that was the end. It was only after he fell back asleep at the wheel in the middle of the lane that the cop came back over. His lawyer said 'they should have let him just go' before the body cam footage was out. Truth is it seems that was attempted at first. I just can't see a scenario where the second guessing of cops going hands on will ever again happen without a trial by public opinion rapidly unfolding. They're even talking murder charges for his partner who was many feet back and never drew his sidearm by looks of the footage. I dunno either way a man is dead and we're again bubbling up.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There was a case in nyc a while back where someone was trying to commit suicide by cop and was standing in a busy area with a gun pointed at a cop. The cop has his gun drawn and didn’t fire. He talked the guy down. They played some bystanders footage or it could have been the cruiser cam but I always remembered that. The guy was pointing his gun at the cop and for whatever reason he new the guy wasn’t going to shoot, he was just looking to get shot. It was impressive to see I don’t know if any of you remember it. I think that would have been a justifiable shooting. I’m glad it turned out the way it did. This country has a lot of fucked up shit going on but we have a lot of positives. I used to have cocktails with a Bank of America executive who came here from Africa as a kid. Obviously he was very bright, I knew him through a friend who owned a restaurant, we used to play cards and smoke cigars. He used to tell us how his father had to travel half a day to get water for the family. I’m just saying I hope all the good isn’t lost in this because there is a lot of it. I’m not trying to gloss over the problems, but there is a lot of good out there.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the police are just another group. another division. treat each person by their own actions not by the label or group as a whole

Titofan:

Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Yeh true. The first thought I had was the one a couple of years ago where the cop was allowed to plea out..at first..for shooting Walter Scott in that park. But the cop stopped to take a firing position and just unloaded on the poor guy who was fully turned and completely unarmed. That shat even ended in a hung jury, insanely enough, if I remember right. But again with this one it's all in an instant and I can't get into a cops head after a violent altercation. I just think with the way detractors and defenders are rolling out scenarios that we'll see tons of like reaction now even if Brooks had stopped and was still pointing the taser directly at him.

I agree, man... and I can totally see where this can quickly turn into a snowball of shit. Overreactions or mob mentality is something I remember from sociology class in high school. That, and the pendulum theory. We seem so fucking maddeningly unable to separate the facts from the myths in individual cases..... it just becomes a giant human feeding frenzy. I'll mention @El Kabong in here, as I've been arguing pretty heavily on the side of the black men lately.... and I know in theory we're all on the same side. Believe me..... last thing I want is for police officers to have to say, "Wait..... let me pull out the 1,000-page handbook that tells me what I'm allowed to do with your fist-swinging ass." Sort of like the scene from Demolition Man where the cops were trying to take down Simon Phoenix using harsh language.

I think this snowball of shit has already formed, and unfortunately I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. For the life of me, I wish someone with common sense had a giant megaphone and could yell to the whole nation some even-headed message. Something along the lines that yes..... police reform is sorely needed. But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....... do not punch cops, try to disarm them, and then run off and expect a slap on the wrist. Detainees could use a few tanker-fuls of common sense when interacting with police.

Having said this, I still don't think Brooks deserved to be killed with shots in the back. He had been totally ID'ed..... and he wasn't going to get far. Throw his ass in jail and fuck him up with a big enough fine, so he'll learn how to behave when confronted by law officers with guns.

Thread Information