Damn about a year and a half, maybe two years ago I bought a (new to me) used car. I ended up renting a car and driving to another state to buy one as it was several thousand difference in price. While I was car shopping I checked out carvana, the online car dealership. You pick the car out online, review all the pictures and specs, they deliver and you have a certain number of days to drive the car around and if you don’t like it you can return it. Anyway I thought it was a cool idea, there were a lot of fees added on during the process so I didn’t end up purchasing anything from them but I never forgot the idea. I said to my wife, “we should buy stock in this company.” I think it was trading around 12 bucks at the time. I looked at the financials and the ratings at the time and they were generally pretty bad. So we passed, it’s not like you can buy every stock you want. Anyway I just saw on the financial channel the stock is around 235 bucks a share. It has a 52 week low of 22 dollars a share so most of those gains are in the last year. A COVID friendly stock if you will. Had I bought it back then it obviously would have worked out well.

I also screwed up on peloton. That company that sells workout equipment and everyone is working out online. My wife bought some shares. I got a little mad (showed her the fundamentals they were losing 20 cents a share) suggested she sell some ASAP. Well she sold most at a profit but now. Because of covid, the stock just keeps pumping. She held on to a few shares. Mind you this is just a side hustle we are into. We just play around with it no earth shattering amounts are flowing through our accounts.

Individual stocks are risky anyway. I had a talk with someone recently. Someone much more into the market than I. He has been nailing it, especially on down days. He moves quick and often. But this dude did it professionally for a number of years and now just does it on his own. He was saying it’s hard to really enjoy market gains with so much suffering going on. It really is. The financial impact of Covid, the shutdown, the fear, it really is hurting many more millions than the disease itself is. That’s not a political statement just a fact.

So anyway just one of those things. I babbled on a bit but really I was just thinking about carvana. I think that’s another thing that makes the market fun, all the what if’s.