Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Your Favorite & (Least) Favorite Boxing Records

This is an argumentative type thread- So I'm prepared to be scorched here.

Hank Armstrong's record of winning & defending 3 weight classes simultaneously is a mas-macho type record IMO.
    Vasily Lomachenko. IS it 13/14 successful title defenses in his 1st 15 fights?
    Nice!

Love Pac's style & what he brought to boxing, but I am so unimpressed with (HOW) he got that 8th title. I play it on opposites: I'd rather win in just 4 weight classes, but unified them all, than to win in 8, but never held 2 or 3 major belts at same time, let alone cleaning out the division.
    My go to weight class is LW, just horrible to fight for one title David Diaz of the lot Not Lineal Champ then Casamayor, then undefeated Baby Bull Diaz.

I am overconfident that any of the old time ATG from Benny Leonard, Saddy Sandler, Willie Pep, Ray Robinson, put them in an era with 16 weight classes, they'd win 6,7,8 divisions too. With all those belts, possible they would've unified a few of them as well, for whatever reason, each time Pac fought for more than one belt he went 0-2-2.

That final belt IMO was the result of a wheeling-dealing promoter. What did either Pac or Margarito do to deserve a title shot at 154? With a catchweight clause? IMO Henry Armstrong's idea was no matter weight -you will catch an ass whooping, not let me catch you at your least best weight. IMO Pac did that because he followed his promoter, not that he wanted to win that way.
    IMO It's a tainted record.

Tyson's youngest HW champ record is impressive.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Your Favorite & (Least) Favorite Boxing Records

Slim, bro, you've really been pulling rabbits out of hats lately, great threads, entertaining!

Gotta love Brown Bomber's 25 title defenses.
    Archie Moore's most knockouts ever.
    Marciano 49-0
    Armstrong's 3 simultaneous
    Tyson's youngest ever

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Least fave.....hmmmmm..... Need time on that one.

Oh, I forgot Foreman rewinning title 20 years later for Most Fave list

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate Marciano 49-0 record because it has created its own mythology that really should not be there.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For me it's not so much a record but something that you just don't see nowadays and would never see

Sugar Ray Robinson was 40-0 when fought Jake La Motta. He'd already beaten La Motta even though he was a welterweight and La Motta was a middleweight (The 14 pounds difference didn't matter to him). They fight a second time and La Motta wins 15 round UD war but guess what ? They fight again 21 days later.

And if that doesn't impress you then this is just mind blowing..... Ray Robinson fights a ten rounder in between and then goes on to beat LaMotta again a week later !

After that Sugar Ray Robinson goes undefeated for 80 fights

Then he fights Joey Maxim for the light heavy weight title. When you think that SRR was 159 pounds and Maxim was 170 pounds but he didn't care about giving away 10 pound advantage. In those days you had to weigh in on the morning of the fight. Many people want this brought bk as they say it prevents injuries.

The fight was scheduled for Saturday at Yankee stadium but due to the weather it was called off and reschedule for Monday and they had to weight in again on Monday !

If that was today they'd be 10-15 pounds over weight due modern day fighters bulking up the night before.

SRR lost. His corner pulled him out due to exhaustion even though he was ahead on the cards. Another incredible fact was that bk then fighters didn't drink water between rounds.

Sports science wasn't really a thing bk then and hydration wasn't part of the trainers arsenal. It was so hot and tiring the ref past out in the 10th and a replacement ref comes in.
    Last edited by Denilson3.0; 05-30-2020 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post
    For me it's not so much a record but something that you just don't see nowadays and would never see

Sugar Ray Robinson was 40-0 when fought Jake La Motta. He'd already beaten La Motta even though he was a welterweight and La Motta was a middleweight (The 14 pounds difference but didn't matter to him). They fight a second time and La Motta wins 15 round UD war but guess what ? They fight again 21 days later.

And if that doesn't impress you then this is just mind blowing..... Ray Robinson fights a ten rounder in between and then goes on to beat LaMotta again a week later !

After that Sugar Ray Robinson goes undefeated for 80 fights

Then he fights Joey Maxim for the light heavy weight title. When you think that SRR was 159 pounds and Maxim was 170 pounds but he didn't care about giving away 1a 0 pound advantage. In those days you had to weigh in on the morning of the fight. Many people want this brought bk as they say it prevents injuries.

The fight was scheduled for Saturday at Yankee stadium but due to the weather it was called off and reschedule for Monday and they had to weight in again on Monday !

If that was today they'd 10-15 pounds over weight due modern day fighters bulking up the night before.

SRR lost. His corner pulled him out due to exhaustion even though he was ahead on the cards. Fighters didn't drink water between rounds. Sports science wasn't really a thing bk then and hydration wasn't part of the trainers arsenal. It was so hot and tiring the ref past out in the 10th and a replacement ref comes in.
    Science: Knowledge!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is why peak SRR v SRL at welterweight would be the ultimate boxing match.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Multi-weightclass titles don't mean anything to me. For sure, in this era, if anyone unified all the belts in two or three divisions it would be an amazing achievement, one that would be true Mount Rushmore stuff, however, it's virtually impossible and will never be done. The most important factor on any record is simply who you beat/fought.

Armstrong weighed 134lb for the Welterweight/Lightweight defence. IF we had one champion today can you seriously envisage a lightweight beating a top welterweight? Look at the recent mismatch between Spence-Mikey? And it also puts into perspective the amount of weight given away on fight night these days.

Broner being a 4-time champion means what? Sounds impressive but he didn't beat a single fighter HOF-worthy or even considered standout for the weightclass. His best win is arguably Paulie (and even that was contentious). And i'm not picking on Broner, hardly any multi-weight champs have more than one or two actual HOF title wins.

Pacquiao's career is just as impressive as any old-timer (imo). He's had arguably three different HOF-worthy careers. From the "mexicutioner" era to the incredible 2008 welterweight run combined with his 20+ year "world" championship reign from flyweight to current status.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Controversial i know but 'Eye of the Tiger' is pretty shite
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it is safe to Say Archie Moore's 132 knockouts in 219 fights will survive until a new civilization or breed of humans takes over.
    Impressive.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    I think it is safe to Say Archie Moore's 132 knockouts in 219 fights will survive until a new civilization or breed of humans takes over.
    Impressive.
    Yes that was the third record that I thought of. Nobody is going to beat that. 132 knockouts is mind-boggling.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Willie Pep's 2 unbeaten streaks of 62 and 73 respectively.
    Henry Armstrong's 5 world title fights in 22 days.
    Jimmy Wilde's 104 fight unbeaten streak.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My least favorites are any recent ones that involve weight classes and titles. They are all so watered down even if they are impressive.

My favorite one is Harry Greb going 45-0 in 1919. I get that many of them weren’t world beaters but he fought 5 HOFers a total of 10 times. He also fought in 21 cities in 8 states. That’s a lot considering the time. Also, Greb got some injuries during the year and had to cancel a few more fights because of them. Again, I understand that all of these fights weren’t against top notch opponents, but still it’s insane having to fight that many times in one year while battling injuries and winning them all.

Thread Information