Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  35
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1,420
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    33
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    All great reasons there above. Master has interestingly named a single boxer as one of his reasons which is really cool. Its amazing how one single person can influence someone's life like that. Tyson was a ferocious force, I was scared of him in 1985 when he was coming up and Holmes was fading out. The brutality of it, the fierceness, you could feel this guy was more than a nightmare. I remember one night in 1987 I heard his fight was being shown in some dormitory on campus, so at 9 p.m. I sprinted like a mile and a half just to get there and pay $5 to get in and see his fight with Pinklon Thomas. Here's what happened:

    pink1.jpg

    pink2.jpg

    pink3.jpg

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1,420
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    33
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?


  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In my own little Universe
    Posts
    9,308
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1977
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    Hooray, a thread actually about boxing

    1. Grace under pressure. When you watch someone under the greatest physical threat and they can rise above it and be cool and calculated. Never losing the technique. Ali against Foreman. Or just about against anyone to be fair. Archie Moore. You never saw Joe Louis waste a punch. Ray Leonard.

    2. Control. Making the other guy fight your fight on your terms. Dictating tempo, distance, space and time. Duran. Early Tyson. Pacquiaio. Hagler. De la Hoya was good at this, this is what separates the elite from the rest.

    3. Splattering some motherfucker. Again, Tyson. Nigel Benn, Golovkin, Marciano, Dempsey, The Hit Man. Elemental and beautiful in its controlled savagery. Each supposedly random wild swing being the result of thousands of hours of practice
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,163
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    823
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    When I was a child there was a man who was in charge of a group of us fidgeting children after church and he was good because he had a library of fights and it got our attention with Sugar Ray Robinson, Jersey Joe Walcott, Joe Louis. Rocky Marciano and Henry Hank Armstrong and to this day I wondered how many arms he had. The pocorn soda, ice cream and cake spoiled dinner for all of us every Sunday after church. I learned to box at thitirteen and never got serious until I was fifteen after seeking revenge to have a fight with an opponent that never materialized. The third reason was I was always in front of the TV on Saturday afternoon continuing the tradition of those church basement showings and I remembered that movie projector smoking three hours later and I sat on my livingroom floor with my pup and two plates of chips and a beer for me and one for my pup. One thing I forgot to mention was that when I took an active part in boxing for a short while, I found the event to not be as exciting and fulfilling as the effort to prepare. Three reasons are not enough to love boxing as a spectator and I am going to continue to salute. any man with the courage to build himself up in friendly com bat and remember it is a contest.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    48,969
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    As a kid it was just something that drew me in more than other sports. Football was okay, but it didn't have that genuinely unpredictable element of 2 men in close proximity trying to hit one another and avoid punches too. That proximity brings with it an intensity that no other sport can. I was enthralled by those domestic fights as a kid and Benn and Eubank and Watson and old Bruno there were all exciting to me.

    Memphis does bring up death, but I cannot say that the prospect of death ever drew me to someone like Calzaghe who I enjoy above all other fighters with Toney up there of course, who likewise was not really a murderous puncher, especially later on. For me, watching that it was more about artistry and body fluidity, seeing those combinations and seeing punches from such unorthodox angles. It was impressive to see Calzaghe use that ballet like fluidity to make his opponents look silly at times. Or Toney make his opponent miss and then swiftly counter. The sweet shot.

    The death aspect is certainly there and maybe some enjoy that and I do have a reputation for not enjoying early stoppages when I think the fighter has a chance, but I don't really enjoy that side. I will never forget poor Ricky Hatton out cold like that almost in a coma. That side is horrible, but then if it is Manny out cold do I get the satisfaction? I would prefer a stoppage that did not result in being unconscious. However, we do get into the moment and if your fighter is down then a dramatic KO is what you are hoping for.

    It is a very brutal sport at times and it wouldn't be the same without the drama and the risk. Humanity can claim to want utopia and perfection, but with boxing around, we are always reminded of our darkness.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,522
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    403
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    . I was enthralled by those domestic fights as a kid and Benn and Eubank and Watson and old Bruno there were all exciting to me.

    .
    I didn't see there fights reel time, looking back on it, must of been something special to witness Benn & Eubank in their primes! And Bruno gave a damn good showing against Lennox. He had to grind that win out.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    48,969
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    . I was enthralled by those domestic fights as a kid and Benn and Eubank and Watson and old Bruno there were all exciting to me.

    .
    I didn't see there fights reel time, looking back on it, must of been something special to witness Benn & Eubank in their primes! And Bruno gave a damn good showing against Lennox. He had to grind that win out.
    I couldn't see that live but remember listening on the radio and it sounded like he was doing so well. I watched it on You Tube and think the same. Bruno on his day was good, I think he would have a good shot if his time was today. If he lands hard on any of them it is tough and I am not sure Fury could hurt him. Bruno would be more likely to get hurt against a Joshua or Wilder, but he could well get there first too. He could box well when he wanted to. A very good jab.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,065
    Mentioned
    1518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2758
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    . I was enthralled by those domestic fights as a kid and Benn and Eubank and Watson and old Bruno there were all exciting to me.

    .
    I didn't see there fights reel time, looking back on it, must of been something special to witness Benn & Eubank in their primes! And Bruno gave a damn good showing against Lennox. He had to grind that win out.
    I couldn't see that live but remember listening on the radio and it sounded like he was doing so well. I watched it on You Tube and think the same. Bruno on his day was good, I think he would have a good shot if his time was today. If he lands hard on any of them it is tough and I am not sure Fury could hurt him. Bruno would be more likely to get hurt against a Joshua or Wilder, but he could well get there first too. He could box well when he wanted to. A very good jab.
    Other than Tyson, most fighters would wait for Bruno to tire to beat him. Today's top fighters would try to do the same against him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1,420
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    33
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    . I was enthralled by those domestic fights as a kid and Benn and Eubank and Watson and old Bruno there were all exciting to me.

    .
    I didn't see there fights reel time, looking back on it, must of been something special to witness Benn & Eubank in their primes! And Bruno gave a damn good showing against Lennox. He had to grind that win out.
    I couldn't see that live but remember listening on the radio and it sounded like he was doing so well. I watched it on You Tube and think the same. Bruno on his day was good, I think he would have a good shot if his time was today. If he lands hard on any of them it is tough and I am not sure Fury could hurt him. Bruno would be more likely to get hurt against a Joshua or Wilder, but he could well get there first too. He could box well when he wanted to. A very good jab.
    Other than Tyson, most fighters would wait for Bruno to tire to beat him. Today's top fighters would try to do the same against him.
    I think he had the lowest percentage body fat of any fighter in history

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,065
    Mentioned
    1518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2758
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    . I was enthralled by those domestic fights as a kid and Benn and Eubank and Watson and old Bruno there were all exciting to me.

    .
    I didn't see there fights reel time, looking back on it, must of been something special to witness Benn & Eubank in their primes! And Bruno gave a damn good showing against Lennox. He had to grind that win out.
    I couldn't see that live but remember listening on the radio and it sounded like he was doing so well. I watched it on You Tube and think the same. Bruno on his day was good, I think he would have a good shot if his time was today. If he lands hard on any of them it is tough and I am not sure Fury could hurt him. Bruno would be more likely to get hurt against a Joshua or Wilder, but he could well get there first too. He could box well when he wanted to. A very good jab.
    Other than Tyson, most fighters would wait for Bruno to tire to beat him. Today's top fighters would try to do the same against him.
    I think he had the lowest percentage body fat of any fighter in history
    I could believe that, he was musclebound and ripped but that was what made him tire so much late in the fights.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1,420
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    33
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    . I was enthralled by those domestic fights as a kid and Benn and Eubank and Watson and old Bruno there were all exciting to me.

    .
    I didn't see there fights reel time, looking back on it, must of been something special to witness Benn & Eubank in their primes! And Bruno gave a damn good showing against Lennox. He had to grind that win out.
    I couldn't see that live but remember listening on the radio and it sounded like he was doing so well. I watched it on You Tube and think the same. Bruno on his day was good, I think he would have a good shot if his time was today. If he lands hard on any of them it is tough and I am not sure Fury could hurt him. Bruno would be more likely to get hurt against a Joshua or Wilder, but he could well get there first too. He could box well when he wanted to. A very good jab.
    Other than Tyson, most fighters would wait for Bruno to tire to beat him. Today's top fighters would try to do the same against him.
    I think he had the lowest percentage body fat of any fighter in history
    I could believe that, he was musclebound and ripped but that was what made him tire so much late in the fights.
    I have often heard it said that he was on steroids but I have no information about that. Do you think that was possible?

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,065
    Mentioned
    1518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2758
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    . I was enthralled by those domestic fights as a kid and Benn and Eubank and Watson and old Bruno there were all exciting to me.

    .
    I didn't see there fights reel time, looking back on it, must of been something special to witness Benn & Eubank in their primes! And Bruno gave a damn good showing against Lennox. He had to grind that win out.
    I couldn't see that live but remember listening on the radio and it sounded like he was doing so well. I watched it on You Tube and think the same. Bruno on his day was good, I think he would have a good shot if his time was today. If he lands hard on any of them it is tough and I am not sure Fury could hurt him. Bruno would be more likely to get hurt against a Joshua or Wilder, but he could well get there first too. He could box well when he wanted to. A very good jab.
    Other than Tyson, most fighters would wait for Bruno to tire to beat him. Today's top fighters would try to do the same against him.
    I think he had the lowest percentage body fat of any fighter in history
    I could believe that, he was musclebound and ripped but that was what made him tire so much late in the fights.
    I have often heard it said that he was on steroids but I have no information about that. Do you think that was possible?
    No way. He trained hard and it was all natural.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    48,969
    Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    0
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    Bruno still trains today. He seems to be someone who needs that routine in his life. Many fighters let thrmselves go but I don't remember any fat Bruno period.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    1,420
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    33
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    . I was enthralled by those domestic fights as a kid and Benn and Eubank and Watson and old Bruno there were all exciting to me.

    .
    I didn't see there fights reel time, looking back on it, must of been something special to witness Benn & Eubank in their primes! And Bruno gave a damn good showing against Lennox. He had to grind that win out.
    I couldn't see that live but remember listening on the radio and it sounded like he was doing so well. I watched it on You Tube and think the same. Bruno on his day was good, I think he would have a good shot if his time was today. If he lands hard on any of them it is tough and I am not sure Fury could hurt him. Bruno would be more likely to get hurt against a Joshua or Wilder, but he could well get there first too. He could box well when he wanted to. A very good jab.
    Other than Tyson, most fighters would wait for Bruno to tire to beat him. Today's top fighters would try to do the same against him.
    I think he had the lowest percentage body fat of any fighter in history
    I could believe that, he was musclebound and ripped but that was what made him tire so much late in the fights.
    I have often heard it said that he was on steroids but I have no information about that. Do you think that was possible?
    No way. He trained hard and it was all natural.
    Ok

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,001
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    546
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: What are your Top 3 reasons for your LOVE of Boxing?

    I just like to see guys fight and often times, get beat up. lol...

    I don't know? I just always liked the fights. Even as a boy, I just remember them. First time I noticed the fights was when I was reading an old magazine with Tyson upercutting Marvis Frazier. Then after that I think the first fight I remember was Tyson vs Spinks. After that I was hooked. lolol...
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

    Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Top five reasons why boxing will always be better than MMA
    By albsur2006 in forum Mixed Martial Arts
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 08-08-2010, 10:57 PM
  2. I Love Boxing But....
    By ElTerribleMorales in forum Mixed Martial Arts
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 12:50 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 01:42 AM
  4. Why I love boxing
    By hackey100 in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 12:04 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2019 Saddo Boxing - Boxing