Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
For me, the Art of boxing is overrated; while it is an art (think Ali, Robinson, Leonard, Mayweather) it is far too often random, lucky, spontaneous openings that appear, and the dumb luck of being, say, out of position or on the wrong foot, which allowed you to score a KO when it never wouldve happened had you been in the "correct" position at that moment. I have seen far too many flukes/miracles/inexplicable, beauteous, spontaneous actions and reactions in fights, that there would be NO WAY to practice it or plan for it. THAT is what boxing is for me, not so much an art (of course I am not discouraging the fundamentals of defense and footwork and training and learning the combinations or how to throw/adjust a jab, feints, etc.) but all that goes out the window "the minute the first punch is thrown" (I think we remember which all time great said that!)

The Art of Boxing for me is not a corny "to hit and not get hit" (it's like telling someone the secret of success is to save money.......duhhh......Captain Obvious there), but rather it is SENSING IN THE SPLIT SECOND WHAT IS UNFOLDING, and CAPITALIZING ON IT. And THAT, my buddies, cannot be TAUGHT.
Sensing in the split second not to get hit and then counter to hit your opponent is capitalising on their mistake.

Tell Mayweather that’s corny..Duh

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about what the art of boxing Is but try not to over think things?!
What I meant by corny is that we should try to use our own words to describe that strategy rather than just repeat the same old words we have always heard about it and not get hit

Perhaps I was not clear enough. I am not over-thinking anything I am saying to think less is better. as Mike Tyson famously said all the best laid strategies and plans and techniques in the world go right out the window the minute the first punch is landed

@imp that's what I was saying.
Cool.
A now elderly british boxing trainer told me years ago , boxers are born, not trained, all a trainer does is to make sure they are fit. I believe that, just look at Naz.