89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Matchroom fight camp - 4 weeks of fights

Some quality matchups again tomorrow night

Hearns Whyte fears....

Eddie Hearn, promoter for Dillian Whyte, is worried that his boxer will physically attack his upcoming opponent, Alexander Povetkin, while the two boxers are quarantined at the Fight Camp hotel.

Whyte will collide with Povetkin in a clash for the WBC interim-heavyweight title on August 22nd at Matchroom's Fight Camp in Brentwood.

Hearn explains that Whyte is not a pleasant person during fight week, and he's going to be roomed on the same floor as Povetkin.

Hearn is considering the possibility of moving Whyte away from the floor, to avoid the scenario of a pre-fight brawl with Povetkin.

"Look, we’ve had fighters in the last three weeks that haven’t been the superstar names and they’ve been a delight to deal with. Next week, the egos come to town," Hearn told Sky Sports. "No criticism of the fighters, but we’re talking about undisputed champions. We’re talking about number one ranked heavyweights. We’re talking about Olympic gold medallists.

"And all of sudden the setup changes completely and having spoken to Dillian Whyte I have to raise concerns to the British Boxing Board of Control about people like – and this is my main concern – Dillian Whyte and Alexander Povetkin being in the same hotel. Because the issue is not just they’re in the same hotel on different floors, they’re on the same floor. They’re on the same corridor. If Dillian Whyte bumps into Alexander Povetkin in the corridor, or out here on the grass, we can’t be responsible for the consequences.

"Katie Taylor and Define Persoon is super icy, they don’t like each other and there’s already bad blood, but I think they’ve got enough about themselves to keep themselves to themselves. What we don’t want to see is Alexander Povetkin and Dillian Whyte rolling down that hill, onto the A12 and having a tear up. We’ll save that for Saturday night, Sky Sports Box Office. But I do have concerns that I’m raising to the British Boxing Board of Control. I spoke to Dillian Whyte earlier, we’re talking about potentially hiring a Winnebago for him to live in, in a secluded area, quarantined off, attached to the hotel.

Bit quirky I know, but I’m struggling to find another solution. We’ve got these regulations and responsibilities in place in terms of quarantine and testing, but we also have a big concern that everybody is on top of each other. You can’t ignore people, you can’t stay away from people. And Dillian Whyte in fight week is not a pleasant individual, to be honest with you. So for the safety of the event I would like to find a way to segregate Whyte and Povetkin for next week."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cash dominating the first round but got wobbled by a left hook that shook him down to his toes.

1 nil Cash
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cash wobbles Welborne with a big right hand in the 2nd round. Cash looks a class above so far.

2 nil Cash.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Welborne trying hard in round 3, Cash gets a telling off for low blow by the ref. Messy round.

3 nil Cash

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cash the better fighter but a clash of heads at the end 4th round seemed to have hurt Welborne.

4 nil Cash

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Point deducted from Cash at the start of the 5th round for low blows but Cash knocks down Welborne twice with a series of attacks and the corner throw in the towel.

Ref stops the fight in the 5th round with Cash stopping Welborne.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is shaping up to be a good night of boxing

Alen 'The Savage' Babic faces huge step up at Fight Camp

Croatia’s explosive Heavyweight contender Alen Babic will battle Shawndell Winters over eight rounds on the undercard of Dillian Whyte’s defence of his Interim WBC Heavyweight World Title against Alexander Povetkin at Matchroom Fight Camp in Brentwood, Essex, on Saturday August 22.
    Babic (3-0, 3 KOs) can enhance his growing reputation as ‘The Savage’ when he faces American Winters, live on Sky Sports Box Office, as Fight Camp reaches a finale with Katie Taylor’s eagerly awaited rematch with Delfine Persoon and Whyte’s crucial clash against Povetkin.
    Whyte has spent the last few weeks in punishing sparring sessions with Babic, who is yet to be extended beyond the third round in his professional career. But Winters has proven his toughness in 13 victories, with just three defeats, and he ruined the unbeaten record of Oleksandr Teslenko last September.

Babic vs. Winters lands on a huge night of action that sees Irish legend Taylor (15-0, 6 KOs) put her WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO and Ring Magazine Lightweight crowns on the line against Belgium's Persoon (44-2, 18 KOs) in the biggest rematch in women’s boxing, Luther Clay (13-1, 5 KOs) defends his WBO Global Welterweight Title against Chris Kongo (11-0, 6 KOs) and Super-Middleweights Jack Cullen (18-2, 9 KOs) and Zak Chelli (7-1, 3 KOs) meet over eight rounds

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor Persoon is the fight of the night. The first was a cracker. I said before the Taylor needs to find a gear, or hope that Persoon loses one. Persoon was relentless and Taylor got dragged into the fight too often. Taylor is a superior boxer to everyone that she's fought and she should keep it that way, don't fight down to your opponents level. By that I mean don't fight at all, especially with someone like Persoon who's a machine and unless she's lost a step in the last year, will just keep plodding forward. She needs to invest in the body as well. She hits the body pretty good, but not enough. She needs to sort out her barnet as well. Constantly in her face after a few rounds.

Whyte Povetkin. Good fight. Good trade fight they'd call it. I know they've chucked a trinket in the mix but essentially it's two good fighters having what should be a good fight. Povetkin is getting on, but he's a better technical boxer than Whyte, he's a better boxer than most heavyweights even now and will give anyone a decent fight if they can't overpower him like AJ/Wlad did. Whyte should be winning this and I suppose the consensus will be that Povetkin will be game early on, before getting ground down in the second half. Simple formula. It's still an intriguing fight for me. Whyte isn't as big or as powerful as AJ and he just wont fight him in the same way. AJ boxed really well against Povetkin who was pretty lively right up until the stoppage. He kept him largely at distance, used mainly the jab and right hand, the left hook was long when he used it, more of a jab turned around the corner. Dillian wont do that, he'll get closer to Povetkin to do his work and he's going to be actively committing the cardinal sin of hooking with a hooker. Dillian talks about his left hook plenty, it's a decent hit but not very cultured, more of a whack. Povetkin can still bang and his hook is far more compact than Dillian's so there will be windows for him to score big on the inside. The right hand is still decent as well.

All that said, still got to go with Whyte. Fresher, bigger, Povetkin won't shy away from the fight but you'd think Dillian will have the bigger appetite for it as well.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Took me a while to come around to women's boxing but i've started to enjoy more and more of it. Thought Harper-Jonas was more skillful/entertaining than many a good level man's fight. Courtney-Ball was good at a lower level too (people in the know had it right off, Ball was gambled from 6/1 into evens before the off). And the women are less divas than the top men, as Katie Taylor is showing by rematching a girl who was apparently "robbed."

One thing though, which is probably sexist on my part, I prefer they stick to 10x2 minute rounds.

As usual I see the majority writing off Povetkin, even though he's never once been humiliated. I recently reminded an "expert" channel that Povetkin was actually a World and Olympic amateur champion not a face first Rocky Balboa. Whyte is obviously the favourite being fresher but if he's not in great condition i'll be backing the old boy for the upset.

(on another note - this card is a pony PPV. I know why it is, but for once you ponces deserve a moan and grumble.)
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Matchroom fight camp - 4 weeks of fights

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Taylor Persoon is the fight of the night. The first was a cracker. I said before the Taylor needs to find a gear, or hope that Persoon loses one. Persoon was relentless and Taylor got dragged into the fight too often. Taylor is a superior boxer to everyone that she's fought and she should keep it that way, don't fight down to your opponents level. By that I mean don't fight at all, especially with someone like Persoon who's a machine and unless she's lost a step in the last year, will just keep plodding forward. She needs to invest in the body as well. She hits the body pretty good, but not enough. She needs to sort out her barnet as well. Constantly in her face after a few rounds.

Whyte Povetkin. Good fight. Good trade fight they'd call it. I know they've chucked a trinket in the mix but essentially it's two good fighters having what should be a good fight. Povetkin is getting on, but he's a better technical boxer than Whyte, he's a better boxer than most heavyweights even now and will give anyone a decent fight if they can't overpower him like AJ/Wlad did. Whyte should be winning this and I suppose the consensus will be that Povetkin will be game early on, before getting ground down in the second half. Simple formula. It's still an intriguing fight for me. Whyte isn't as big or as powerful as AJ and he just wont fight him in the same way. AJ boxed really well against Povetkin who was pretty lively right up until the stoppage. He kept him largely at distance, used mainly the jab and right hand, the left hook was long when he used it, more of a jab turned around the corner. Dillian wont do that, he'll get closer to Povetkin to do his work and he's going to be actively committing the cardinal sin of hooking with a hooker. Dillian talks about his left hook plenty, it's a decent hit but not very cultured, more of a whack. Povetkin can still bang and his hook is far more compact than Dillian's so there will be windows for him to score big on the inside. The right hand is still decent as well.

All that said, still got to go with Whyte. Fresher, bigger, Povetkin won't shy away from the fight but you'd think Dillian will have the bigger appetite for it as well.
    Very fair summary this and I would go along with that.

I think Povetkin probably needs to gamble, and go in early to try and take Whyte out. We've seen him hurt before by Parker, but that was too late and I'd suggest Povetkin digs as hard as the Kiwi. But we all know age can catch up with a fighter, and Dillian is a big, tough lump himself who can pack a punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    As usual I see the majority writing off Povetkin, even though he's never once been humiliated. I recently reminded an "expert" channel that Povetkin was actually a World and Olympic amateur champion not a face first Rocky Balboa. Whyte is obviously the favourite being fresher but if he's not in great condition i'll be backing the old boy for the upset.
    One think I hadn't considered was Whyte's conditioning in the lead up to this fight and with the restrictions. Wouldn't be a suprise if he has slacked off and isn't very fit, which could cause him some problems. He doesn't seem the most disciplined even in normal times without lockdown restrictions.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whyte tires quite rapidly late in the fights and he has been dropped more due to exhaustion so Povetkin does not have to rush it.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cant help but like Dillian. Mad bastard, loves a ruck. Some of his decision making has been odd. Should have taken the Joshua fight for whatever was on offer, that's his call obviously and you have to respect his decision. But a crack at several belts against a bloke he's desperate to rematch, who he thinks he's got the beating of now that his shoulder is fixed, for a fuck load of money, rip their arm of man. The Tibbs thing as well. Dillian painted a picture of an amicable parting of professional ways but everyone immediately saw through that. I've no idea who's training him now?

He's put together some good wins over the last few years but they've all been at a cost. Life and death with Del Boy twice, boxed quite nicely against Rivas but it was by no means a canter and however iffy it was (more of a knock over than a knock down if you know what I mean) he still managed to find himself on the deck. Life and death with Parker, on the deck again and clinging on for dear life at the end. Looked like turd against Wach. He's doing the distance when he needs to but his conditioning doesn't 'look' great.

I hope he's in good shape and up for this and I hope he wins. I'm not suggesting that anything is conspiring against him here, but that good run of form on paper, doesn't tell the whole story of the ringer he's been through to get there. And lets be honest, a few peoples lives would be made a whole lot easier if he came a cropper and fell off the radar for a bit.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cant help but like Dillian. Mad bastard, loves a ruck. Some of his decision making has been odd. Should have taken the Joshua fight for whatever was on offer, that's his call obviously and you have to respect his decision. But a crack at several belts against a bloke he's desperate to rematch, who he thinks he's got the beating of now that his shoulder is fixed, for a fuck load of money, rip their arm of man. The Tibbs thing as well. Dillian painted a picture of an amicable parting of professional ways but everyone immediately saw through that. I've no idea who's training him now?

He's put together some good wins over the last few years but they've all been at a cost. Life and death with Del Boy twice, boxed quite nicely against Rivas but it was by no means a canter and however iffy it was (more of a knock over than a knock down if you know what I mean) he still managed to find himself on the deck. Life and death with Parker, on the deck again and clinging on for dear life at the end. Looked like turd against Wach. He's doing the distance when he needs to but his conditioning doesn't 'look' great.

I hope he's in good shape and up for this and I hope he wins. I'm not suggesting that anything is conspiring against him here, but that good run of form on paper, doesn't tell the whole story of the ringer he's been through to get there. And lets be honest, a few peoples lives would be made a whole lot easier if he came a cropper and fell off the radar for a bit.
    Definitely gotta feel a bit sorry for him always being cast aside, and frankly I'm quite surprised he's still sticking with Matchroom given his biggest rival is Eddie's golden boy and main priority.

He has earned his shot and got some good wins, but he's hardly been dominant as noted. I see him as a crude slugger, who can take a shot and get digging, which makes him live and dangerous. But I don't think he would beat Joshua, who himself is much better than he was in their first encounter. Has a shot against Wilder, but could easily be knocked out cold also while Fury would box rings around him.

Whyte might just about be the number 4 guy in the division, which probably reflects how poor it is as a whole.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearns got him 2 Winnebagos in the car park of the hotel that Povetkin and his Mafia looking crew are staying in to keep them well apart.
    The worry was Whyte would kick off if they were both staying on the same hotel floor.
    Probably a wise move.
    Heard Povetkin was 3-1 odds this morning and with the incentive of becoming the mandatory should he win should bring out the best in him.
    Can see Whyte possibly slipping up here.
    Tough to call this one.
    Really like this matchup 😎

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post

Definitely gotta feel a bit sorry for him always being cast aside, and frankly I'm quite surprised he's still sticking with Matchroom given his biggest rival is Eddie's golden boy and main priority.

He has earned his shot and got some good wins, but he's hardly been dominant as noted. I see him as a crude slugger, who can take a shot and get digging, which makes him live and dangerous. But I don't think he would beat Joshua, who himself is much better than he was in their first encounter. Has a shot against Wilder, but could easily be knocked out cold also while Fury would box rings around him.

Whyte might just about be the number 4 guy in the division, which probably reflects how poor it is as a whole.
    I never really go in for the 'division is poor' stuff. Generally speaking, not just this crop. It's the party line, rolled out for every era and the answer is almost certainly the same every time, it kinda has to be. Would a 20 odd fight (insert anyone you like here) who's half way through their career, have beaten their counterpart from yesteryear who's completed a generally illustrious career at the top level. Of course they're not.

The deck is stacked against them to say the least and people paint a very rose tinted version of the past.

Take Joshua and stick him up against Lewis. I got no problem with anyone saying Lewis is better than Joshua, I'd probably go along with that. Again though, Lewis has completed an illustrious career, Joshua is half, three quarters through his? People will have you believe that Lewis existed on a vastly higher plain to Joshua, and so did the people he fought. It's just not the case though is is?

I don't spend a great deal of timing looking or thinking about this stuff because it's fantasy. But when I do, I tend not to look at A versus B. I go for A versus everyone B fought. That's what we're trying to establish here. Would A, the representative of this crop, have competed against the crop from yesteryear. For me the answer is an easy yes. Save for two or three names, would anyone have any issue with saying that Joshua dispatches them all in the same manner Lewis did?

Holyfield, Klitschko. I got no problem with anyone thinking Joshua loses those fights. Everyone else though? I ain't having it. Mercer? Mercer fought an inspired fight against Lewis and gave him hell. sandwiching that fight are also some pretty average fights against some average competition. Bruno? Ain't no way Joshua ain't knocking Bruno into next week for me.

Take Joshua as is and transplant him into the 90's early 00's. He'd be one of the names people fall all over as proof that the current crop couldn't compete.

would Joshua, Wilder, Fury or Whyte have beaten the best of the 90's and early 00's? Maybe, maybe not. But they would have been in there with a shout, no doubt about it as far as I'm concerned.

Charley Burley

Thread Information