Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How good was Steve Collins?

I recently watched the panel Sky Sports did years back with all the super middleweights.

I'm a big fan of Eubank, Calzaghe and Roy Jones, but I never really knew much about Collins. Just knew him as a guy who beat Eubank and Benn when they were near or at their end. He came off very arrogant on the panel, bit of a blow-hard, and took offense when Eubank insinuated that he dick-tucked out of the fight with Calzaghe.

How good do you guys reckon Collins was in his prime, and how do you think he would have done if he had went through with the Calzaghe fight? Do you think he could have given any trouble to Roy Jones in the 90s? From the little I've seen of Collins it's hard to imagine he beats either guy.

It's a good watch if you've not seen it. All seem very respectful. I get the feeling Calzaghe is a bit miffed that Collins ducked out of the fight, even if he plays it cool.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How good was Steve Collins?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
    I recently watched the panel Sky Sports did years back with all the super middleweights.

I'm a big fan of Eubank, Calzaghe and Roy Jones, but I never really knew much about Collins. Just knew him as a guy who beat Eubank and Benn when they were near or at their end. He came off very arrogant on the panel, bit of a blow-hard, and took offense when Eubank insinuated that he dick-tucked out of the fight with Calzaghe.

How good do you guys reckon Collins was in his prime, and how do you think he would have done if he had went through with the Calzaghe fight? Do you think he could have given any trouble to Roy Jones in the 90s? From the little I've seen of Collins it's hard to imagine he beats either guy.

It's a good watch if you've not seen it. All seem very respectful. I get the feeling Calzaghe is a bit miffed that Collins ducked out of the fight, even if he plays it cool.

I remember watching this years ago.

Hate the fact JC beat an old RJ but I’ve grown to like JC and rate him as one of the best at 168.

Collins beat Benn and Eubank waaaaay past their prime..great chin though.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He came up tough in the States. His losses were in Elite/top company, McCallum, Kalambay....forget the other one

People were crying out for someone to come and beat Eubank, ironically when Collins did it no fucker liked him either. Tough man, underrated skill level.

He would have been going head to head with prime Jones Jr and a young powerful Calzaghe. He gets beat up by both doesn't he?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was a good watch! Steve walks off before the end of the show.

Love how Eubank holds Collins to account for not fighting Calzaghe. I heard Collins got knocked out and suffered a brain injury which is why he did not meet Joe.

Steve Collins comes across as bitter against Roy Jones and not telling the truth about avoiding Calzaghe. It seems Collins wanted to set up a fight with Roy at the time. It never did happen which is good.

Collins lost to the top USA fighters and came back to the UK to revive his career.

Steve Collins was lucky to beat an old Benn and jaded Eubank, he still would have had the style to give Benn trouble because he had a strong chin.

Roy Jones was the best and comes across very well. They hardly mention Roy losing to Joe.

Richie should not have been there at that table.

Chris Eubank did not want to talk about his second son boxing.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A very tough and skilled competitor. Don't think he'd have been an inside the distance win for any of those mentioned in their prime.

Seeing Nigel quit not once but twice against him still upsets me but can't fault Collins as he did what he had to do - he acknowledged he wasn't the Benn of old.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wonder if JC would have beaten Eubanks in his prime?

Would he have beaten Benn?

Jones
    JC
    Eubank
    Collins
    Other

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post

Jones
    JC
    Eubank
    Collins
    Other
    Joe could have beaten prime Benn, Eubank, Collins and Watson but not a prime Roy.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Jones
    JC
    Eubank
    Collins
    Other
    Joe could have beaten prime Benn, Eubank, Collins and Watson but not a prime Roy.
    It’s one of those rare times when I Actually agree with you masterclass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Jones
    JC
    Eubank
    Collins
    Other
    I think you're right on that, I can picture Joe beating those guys (not that it would be an easy night for either guy) but it's hard for me to picture someone beating Roy at 168.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Collins was a good, strong and tough fighter. He did everything quite well, and nothing poorly so he was a well rounded boxer. He did come up tough in the States and was a much better fighter than he was known for in the U.K.

He definitely beat Benn and Eubank at the very tail end of their careers, when both were in serious decline. However, he did have the style to cause both of them serious problems even if they were in their primes. His stamina and engine would have given Eubank fits, as Chris always struggled with the weight and stole time constantly throughout all his fights. His good chin might have allowed Collins to survive an early Benn onslaught and then stop Nigel later on.

Whilst Collins didn't do anything badly, he didn't excel at anything either - I can't see how he would beat Jones or Calzaghe.

He did come across as a twat in this interview.

Ive met Richie Woodhall many times .... a genuinely really nice bloke and one of the best technicians you will see in the ring. A World Champion and an Olympian. A very good pundit and commentator with no axe to grind and as modest as they come. I'd say he belongs around that table anytime.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Richie does an excellent job with his BT sports analysis show when big fights are near..I like his commentary on the big fights..and Duke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post

Ive met Richie Woodhall many times .... a genuinely really nice bloke and one of the best technicians you will see in the ring. A World Champion and an Olympian. A very good pundit and commentator with no axe to grind and as modest as they come. I'd say he belongs around that table anytime.
    I remember his fight with Calzaghe was terrific. He was over matched as JC was a tremendous force, but he fought with a lot of skill and gusto. And seems like a great guy on this panel!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X View Post

I remember his fight with Calzaghe was terrific. He was over matched as JC was a tremendous force, but he fought with a lot of skill and gusto. And seems like a great guy on this panel!
    Richie is a nice guy but that place was for Nigel Benn. He said himself he was not a patch on anyone on the table.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good all round fighter, strong, good chin , good stamina, good workrate.
    Limited ability but was only beaten by very good fighters.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When this was filmed Collins and Roy were trying to sell a fight between them. I kid you not. Collins probably deserves more credit for the wins over Benn and Eubank (Benn went clubbing after the ankle "quit" and Eubank had great fights after Collins).

He was world-class without any standout attributes. He simply didn't have the speed or dynamic power to ever beat genuine elite level like Roy or Calzaghe or the skill level to be a McCallum. A Glenn Johnson type, hold his own with everyone but never beat an elite (pomp elite, of course). Chris Pyatt knockout is his "best" win.
    Last edited by Fenster; 07-03-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information