Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Bowe v Lewis should NEVER HAPPEN in boxing AGAIN!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bowe v Lewis should NEVER HAPPEN in boxing AGAIN!

Thank God Fury and Wilder got it on. But we should never have a Bowe v Lewis happen again, where the fight never happened.

Fury should fight AJ ASAP.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bowe v Lewis should NEVER HAPPEN in boxing AGAIN!

Wholeheartedly agree with this.

It's been almost 30 years, but it still narks me that this fight never happened; even moreso when I see Bowe trolling, insulting & trying to goad Lennox Lewis into a having a fight that he himself ducked out of in '93.

I don't 100% blame Bowe, as I think he was badly advised by his manager, Rock Newman, but ultimately, he could have insisted & the fight would have been made as Lewis was more than up for it.

Bowe missed his chance big time, because had they fought in '93, I think Riddick would have won.

Bowe was in his pomp, whereas Lewis was still learning; he was quite reckless and over reliant on his big Right hand.

In that period before Manny Steward got hold of him, he would have been vulnerable to a top quality operator like Bowe.

After McCall 1, when Steward took over Lennox's training, I don't think Bowe would have beaten him then.
    The legend of Drederick Tatum!Hidden Content

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well said. Newman really thwarted Bowe's legacy, then again, Bowe could've have went on with or without Newman.
    We were deprived.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bowe made some easy money throwing the WBC title in the bin and avoiding Lennox. So he made the right choice financially and Lennox was a risky fight for him.

Bowe did get fat and unmotivated after he won the titles so he knew that Lennox was going to be too much for him. He can hide behind Newman all he likes but he was the one who ultimately decided that he could not beat Lennox Lewis.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are far too many people and far too much money involved in getting A and B in the ring for Bowe Lewis not to happen again. According to Frank Maloney (as was at time of writing) it was all Rock Newman's fault making ridiculous offers and counter offers. For the most part I don't think A and B are the problem, I don't think for one second Bowe was afraid of Lewis or vice versa. For the most part A and B do what the fuck they are told and that's the end of it.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

El Kabong Guest

B-b-b-but it never happens all the fucking time!

Look at how avoided the Klitschko brothers were by Valuev. Look at AJ vs Wilder/Fury. Look at how long it took for Pac & Floyd to happen.

This is why boxing needs some sort of league or tournament system to determine champions. The best of the best should be the fighter who is able to beat everyone and is willing to face anyone.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Newman was a fast talking dope and once Bowe started casually talking about blueprints for a new home with a refrigerator in his bedroom you knew it rubbed off. Irony is that it's now Wilder v Fury III that puts Fury v AJ in jeopardy. What really makes the Lewis and Bowe falling apart all the more of a pisser is that it was all arranged and agreed to prior to the foursome, Ruddock, Bowe, Holyfield and Lewis actually facing off. The work was done and victories earned, the politricks is what screwed it all up.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Newman was a fast talking dope and once Bowe started casually talking about blueprints for a new home with a refrigerator in his bedroom you knew it rubbed off. Irony is that it's now Wilder v Fury III that puts Fury v AJ in jeopardy. What really makes the Lewis and Bowe falling apart all the more of a pisser is that it was all arranged and agreed to prior to the foursome, Ruddock, Bowe, Holyfield and Lewis actually facing off. The work was done and victories earned, the politricks is what screwed it all up.
    Bowe got intimidated by the unexpected, devastating knockout, win Lennox had against Ruddock. Oddly enough Lennox was far from impressive against Tucker and Bruno. He lost to McCall when he was due to fight Bowe who realised Lennox was not as good as he thought.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Bowe got intimidated by the unexpected, devastating knockout, win Lennox had against Ruddock. Oddly enough Lennox was far from impressive against Tucker and Bruno. He lost to McCall when he was due to fight Bowe who realised Lennox was not as good as he thought.
    Dunno if he was intimidated so much as just being sold on terrible advise and negotiations from the carnival barker Newman when they were first set to meet. Second time around was all on Lewis getting sacked out of nowhere. I do think between the two it was Bowe who would ultimately prove not to be as good as we first witnessed that night with Holyfield.

Thread Information