Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: "Iron" Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr

Actually stayed up to hear them both talk.

Mike was super gracious, when it was obvious from the get-go he could've stretched Roy out from the very 1st round. Not hating on Roy... just a fact.

Of course the fight was ceremoniously called a draw... what else were they going to say?

Bottom line... Mike looked very good for his age. Not good enough to be competitive against today's heavyweights... but pretty damn good.

Roy... well... he's an ATG as well.

I'd see Mike do another exhibition. Roy... not so much.

Damn... it's late.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Evander Holyfield could be Mike Tyson’s next fight after naming price for trilogy

Mike Tyson could fight Evander Holyfield for a third time in his next fight after battling to a draw against Roy Jones Jr in his comeback last weekend.

The exhibition, which lasted the full eight, two-minute rounds, saw Tyson and Jones Jr accept a draw at Staples Center.

And Tyson, who has worked himself back into shape after rediscovering his love for the sport, is sure to continue fighting, despite being 54 years old.

The Baddest Man On The Planet confirmed his intent to continue fighting: “Of course I’ll do this again. I’m content with the draw because what really mattered was entertaining the fans.”

Tyson accepted a $7.5 million (£6.7m) purse for last weekend’s action, but a trilogy against the Real Deal would see him earn much more.

Holyfield is demanding at least $25m (£22.4m) to get back into the ring with Tyson.

Given Tyson would likely command parity at least with his long-standing rival, who has two victories over Iron Mike.

The second win of course came via disqualification, after Tyson took out a chunk of his ear with a desperate bite in 1997.

"It definitely wasn't me," Holyfield told the I Am Athlete podcast. "I wasn't getting in the ring for less than $25 million.

"I beat him twice. I felt it was wrong for me to have to ask him to fight me. I don't know (if he's scared). I would never ask a person that.

"If they called me to fight in two days, I'd be there to fight in two days."

More funds will likely be required to pay for the undercard, with YouTube star Jake Paul commanding a solid payday with a second-round knockout of former NBA player Nate Robinson.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/eva...130017561.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

‘I’m not going to be Fat Mike anymore’: Mike Tyson vows to stay in fighting shape after Roy Jones Jr draw

Mike Tyson has said he will stay in fighting shape following his draw against Roy Jones Jr at the weekend.

The 54-year-old competed for the first time in 15 years at the weekend when he took on his 51-year-old opponent in an exhibition bout at Los Angeles’ Staples Center.

And that match-up was just the start of the latest chapter in Tyson’s career, the former heavyweight champion said, expressing his intention to fight “every two months” from here on out.

“I’m going to work out,” Tyson said in his post-fight press conference, per MMA Fighting.

“It’s become my lifestyle now. I’m never going to be that guy: ‘Fat Mike’ and stuff, ‘Cokehead Mike’ – I ain’t going to be that guy no more.

“I [once] had 15 fights in one year, let’s just try to work closer to that. It has to be competitive where it’s constant, nobody can get out of shape because everyone’s fighting.

“It would be consistent. I would like to have [a fight] once every two months, my personal opinion. I’d like to fight every two months.”

Tyson admitted, however, that one hurdle will kicking his smoking habit.

“Listen, I can’t stop smoking,” he is reported by USA Today as saying.

“I smoked during fights. I just have to smoke, I’m sorry. I’m a smoker… I smoke every day. I never stopped smoking.”

Old rival Evander Holyfield is Tyson’s preferred opponent for his next fight. American Tyson lost twice to his compatriot during his career, and is keen on a trilogy bout.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/m-not-goin...143844366.html

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, he does own a cannabis farm, so nice plug there Mike
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why is no one asking Jones Jr. if he's going to fight anymore?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Roy did not look great in the ring and was not in the best of shape. Tyson looked quite decent.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Roy did not look great in the ring and was not in the best of shape. Tyson looked quite decent.

I was being satirical.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hasn't anyone noticed that Mike has nipples like chapel hat pegs in these photos?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Hasn't anyone noticed that Mike has nipples like chapel hat pegs in these photos?
    If it was a woman I would have but as it is a man I tend not to look there. It may say more about you.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mike Tyson-Roy Jones Jr. fight reportedly brought in $80 million

Boxing fans don’t care about Mike Tyson’s age, they just want to see him fight. Tyson’s comeback fight against Roy Jones Jr. reportedly brought in $80 million in pay-per-view purchases, according to the New York Post.

Those figures come courtesy of Triller — the fight’s distributer — and Tyson’s Legends Only League. If accurate, those numbers would make Tyson-Jones among the top-10 most purchased PPV fights ever.

Tyson and Jones both benefited from those buys. Tyson, 54, reportedly made $10 million as a result of the fight. Jones, 51, reportedly made $3 million. Despite their age, both men lasted eight rounds. The fight wasn’t officially scored, but the celebrity judges called it a draw. Yahoo Sports’ Kevin Iole scored the fight 78-74 for Tyson.

Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield could fight next

Given the financial success of the Jones fight, Tyson has every incentive in the world to hold a rematch against Evander Holyfield. The two haven’t fought since 1997, when Tyson bit off a piece of Holyfield’s ear. The fight was called after that, giving Holyfield the win. Holyfield also defeated Tyson when the two met a year earlier.

Despite winning both fights — and the whole ear thing — Holyfield, 58, wants to get back into the ring to face Tyson a third time. Holyfield said his side tried to schedule a rematch with Tyson, but Tyson’s side avoided it. After watching Tyson and Jones go at it, Holyfield said he could “see why [Tyson] wanted a tune-up fight before thinking about fighting me.”

If Tyson continues his comeback, a third Tyson-Holyfield bout feels inevitable. Both men seem open to the idea, probably because there are boatloads of money to be made.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/mik...163025069.html

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I for one hope Tyson and Holyfield never get back in the ring..... even under the guise of "exhibition." The Tyson-Jones Jr. match was one thing... with Tyson visibly letting up on Jones Jr., who was huffing and puffing throughout the (cough) "fight." Tyson-Holyfield would be quite another. Lest anyone forget, Holyfield is two years away from 60. SIXTY. It's not like Borg and McEnroe trying to relive their famous tennis matches of the '80's. This is boxing... and that would be two guys in the ring who once the bell rang would likely go for the knockout.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tyson in the ring again. He proved he's in admirable shape, plus..... he himself knows and said he's only interested in exhibitions. I thought he spoke quite well after the Jones Jr. "draw." But please... not against Holyfield. That is just inviting disaster.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IT was those bodyshots that made RJJ look drained. Not saying he would've ran circles around Mike, but his post interview proved he was still feeling the effects. I'd imagine 5 Tyson body shots for a 51 year old Jones was the equivalent of 8-12 rounds of body snatching from Mike McCallum.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate to be the bad guy in this thread... and especially since we're talking about two beloved, 1st-ballot HOF'ers and ATG's who provided us boxing fans with countless wonderful moments of boxing prowess each in his own division.

But.................

Bad guy I'll have to be.

Jones Jr. should stay the hell away from any boxing ring from here on out. Even from the get-go, you could tell the difference between him and Mike... and I'm not just talking about the fact that one was a heavyweight and the other who although ventured up to HW, was a great somewhere south of that.

Mike looked boxing-fit. Admirably so at his 54 years of age. Roy looked like a paunchy old man, having just gotten off the couch to go fight.

People rave about his "no-look" jabs. Please... he was basically blindly throwing his left at no one in particular while getting the hell outta Dodge.

It was an exhibition... yes. But then at the end they were both being interviewed and Mike was just happy to be there and could give a rat's ass about the fight predictably being called a draw, which of course it wasn't.

Roy babbled something about not liking draws and something or other.

Yes, yes... I know all about this being an exhibition and nobody expecting anything. Believe me... my own expectations couldn't have been any lower.

I was just taken a bit aback by the contrast between Mike and Roy in the shape they were in, and the way they looked in the ring.

Body shots? Believe me... if Mike had really put his weight behind any of those body shots during the fight... he would've ended up breaking the rules (no knockouts).

Credit to Mike, who sold the effort like a champ. He really tried to make Roy look good in there.

All this from a fan of both fighters.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate to be the bad guy in this thread... and especially since we're talking about two beloved, 1st-ballot HOF'ers and ATG's who provided us boxing fans with countless wonderful moments of boxing prowess each in his own division.

But.................

Bad guy I'll have to be.

Jones Jr. should stay the hell away from any boxing ring from here on out. Even from the get-go, you could tell the difference between him and Mike... and I'm not just talking about the fact that one was a heavyweight and the other who although ventured up to HW, was a great somewhere south of that.

Mike looked boxing-fit. Admirably so at his 54 years of age. Roy looked like a paunchy old man, having just gotten off the couch to go fight.

People rave about his "no-look" jabs. Please... he was basically blindly throwing his left at no one in particular while getting the hell outta Dodge.

It was an exhibition... yes. But then at the end they were both being interviewed and Mike was just happy to be there and could give a rat's ass about the fight predictably being called a draw, which of course it wasn't.

Roy babbled something about not liking draws and something or other.

Yes, yes... I know all about this being an exhibition and nobody expecting anything. Believe me... my own expectations couldn't have been any lower.

I was just taken a bit aback by the contrast between Mike and Roy in the shape they were in, and the way they looked in the ring.

Body shots? Believe me... if Mike had really put his weight behind any of those body shots during the fight... he would've ended up breaking the rules (no knockouts).

Credit to Mike, who sold the effort like a champ. He really tried to make Roy look good in there.

All this from a fan of both fighters.

Hell yeah Roy should stay away from the ring! But that is where I go badder guy! Mike...that was a punkish move to call out Roy. Don't call him out and he'll hopefully chase elderly chickens around the coop!

But I liked his comment that he wears drawz...but don't like receiving them...funny pun!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I for one hope Tyson and Holyfield never get back in the ring..... even under the guise of "exhibition." The Tyson-Jones Jr. match was one thing... with Tyson visibly letting up on Jones Jr., who was huffing and puffing throughout the (cough) "fight." Tyson-Holyfield would be quite another. Lest anyone forget, Holyfield is two years away from 60. SIXTY. It's not like Borg and McEnroe trying to relive their famous tennis matches of the '80's. This is boxing... and that would be two guys in the ring who once the bell rang would likely go for the knockout.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tyson in the ring again. He proved he's in admirable shape, plus..... he himself knows and said he's only interested in exhibitions. I thought he spoke quite well after the Jones Jr. "draw." But please... not against Holyfield. That is just inviting disaster.
    Literally exactly what every writer and announcer said when they finally met . They openly feared for his life.

Honestly can't get behind the seniors tour but I get it for charity etc. Did huge numbers but anyone ever get specifics on how the charities made out off of this? Holyfield had a great little promotion going last few years. Love to see all these geezers get far more involved in a corner, promoting and likewise.

Thread Information