Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I don’t like lumping men and women together in rankings

This seems like it’s slowly becoming a trend in boxing and UFC. Some people in UFC are starting to put women on p4p lists. ESPN did a list for top 25 boxers under 25. They added a woman.

Now women can do whatever they want. The issue is that all lists should be separate between men and women. They aren’t really comparable. I just think with all sports they should be their own separate entity. It’s just something I’ve been seeing lately even in other sports. I don’t like the trend.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I don’t like lumping men and women together in rankings

p4p lists to me have always been in large part a marketing tag. Guarantee this one will go down the political-social rabbit hole but if a case is to be made I'd have to say far better chance and applicable to females in ufc than womens boxing, by far. Skills are skills I really don't care whats in your pants. Then again I used to disregard top ten p4p lists just for including 2 or 3 heavyweights too .

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But p4p means if they were all the same weight, who is the best. If women were the same weight, they still wouldn’t be the best. Therefore, to include them in the p4p debate, it doesn’t make sense. It would have to change to p4p and g4g (gender for gender).

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dunno I just think that gets into the whole subjectivity of what a p4p list actually is. I've always thought of them as a view on the more all around set of superior skills and career accomplishment rather than hypothetical on if they were physically matched but good point.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't follow UFC and basically came into the thread hoping it wasn't about boxing.

Lumping men and women together in p4p rankings is a huge mistake, if only because it's a grave injustice to women. Imagine being by every consensus the #2 or 3 p4p woman fighter in the world..... only to find yourself at #15 or 20 in the lumped-together list. Doesn't make sense to me.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    This seems like it’s slowly becoming a trend in boxing and UFC. Some people in UFC are starting to put women on p4p lists. ESPN did a list for top 25 boxers under 25. They added a woman.

Now women can do whatever they want. The issue is that all lists should be separate between men and women. They aren’t really comparable. I just think with all sports they should be their own separate entity. It’s just something I’ve been seeing lately even in other sports. I don’t like the trend.
    sexist
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I dunno I just think that gets into the whole subjectivity of what a p4p list actually is. I've always thought of them as a view on the more all around set of superior skills and career accomplishment rather than hypothetical on if they were physically matched but good point.
    I just think that if they can’t fight each other then they shouldn’t be grouped together. Just like any sport. Just like I wouldn’t rank an amateur among the professional ranks.

And even if we aren’t talking p4p, sports are getting into combining stats. Like if a woman boxer ends up having 26 defenses of a title, all of a sudden she beats Joe Louis’ record. I don’t think that should happen. They should be separate records that aren’t compared.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I just think that if they can’t fight each other then they shouldn’t be grouped together. Just like any sport. Just like I wouldn’t rank an amateur among the professional ranks.

And even if we aren’t talking p4p, sports are getting into combining stats. Like if a woman boxer ends up having 26 defenses of a title, all of a sudden she beats Joe Louis’ record. I don’t think that should happen. They should be separate records that aren’t compared.

This is a good point and a major reason for not combining p4p rankings.

Technically..... they're two separate sports.

Thread Information