Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing Records You Admire the Most/Least

Most: Hank Armstrong. Held world titles in three different weight divisions simultaneously, all three titles were undisputed championships.
    least: Pacquiao -eight division titles

Hank didn't need no darn tootin catchweight fights. His record = mas macho!
    '

Pac's record IMO doesn't register as legendary to me because had he fought in 1930s 1940s, 50s, 60s, he'd have to go from smallest to heavyweight to do that!
    Flip the script, had Hank Armstrong fought in his era, whose to say he would have won 9 or 10?

I love Pac as an action fighter, great power, speed, will, but that record IMO is kinda bogus, especially considering that he never held 2 belts in any division, let alone clean it out.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing Records You Admire the Most/Least

Floyd fake 50 and out. Then claims he is the best ever when he is so far from it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bear with me but Sanderline Williams . Ok sure he finished with a 24-15-1 but stopped just once. In two years loses split to Merqui Sosa, Nigel Benn, Iran Barkley and draws with a young James Toney. Sprinkled in takes distance L's to Toney, Reggie Johnson, Frank Tate, Herold Graham and Gerald McClellan.

Gotta agree with Master on Floyds fake 50. He made history on a novice and carried him.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Broner and Santa Cruz as weight weight Champions as least.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Recently Usyk unifying all 4 belts at Cruiserweight in 15 fights on the road and against unbeaten opposition.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tyson as youngest champ is one thing, but the fact that he unified it solidifies the record as legit. While each champ wasn't world class but decent, Tyson in stride annihilated them all.

Holyfield is what? 4 time HW champ, not that impressive if he couldn't sustain his rule. And this is coming from a Holyfield fan. It kind of insinuates that he was an inconsistent champ.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Tyson as youngest champ is one thing, but the fact that he unified it solidifies the record as legit. While each champ wasn't world class but decent, Tyson in stride annihilated them all.

Holyfield is what? 4 time HW champ, not that impressive if he couldn't sustain his rule. And this is coming from a Holyfield fan. It kind of insinuates that he was an inconsistent champ.
    That is why Evander should not be on an all time heavyweight champions list. He lost to Moorer !!!!!!!!!
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not a record broken as much as a milestone maybe?

Ray Robinson took 133 times before he lost his 2nd bout.
    Who will do that?
    No one.
    129-1-2

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Broner and Santa Cruz as weight weight Champions as least.
    There are many fighters in this same conversation now who are 3 or 4 weight class title holders that are far from HOF worthy. Robert Guerrero comes to mind. I know there are many others.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most: Hank Armstrong. Held world titles in three different weight divisions simultaneously, all three titles were undisputed championships.
    least: Pacquiao -eight division titles

Hank didn't need no darn tootin catchweight fights. His record = mas macho!
    '

Pac's record IMO doesn't register as legendary to me because had he fought in 1930s 1940s, 50s, 60s, he'd have to go from smallest to heavyweight to do that!
    Flip the script, had Hank Armstrong fought in his era, whose to say he would have won 9 or 10?

I love Pac as an action fighter, great power, speed, will, but that record IMO is kinda bogus, especially considering that he never held 2 belts in any division, let alone clean it out.
    I agree. While it is certainly impressive what Pacquiao did, there are a lot of factors which make it a little fake. While, as you said, Armstrong just went out and held 3 titles at the same time without in between weight classes. Also, Armstrong was more widely disliked since he was black and could have held the middleweight title too but got a draw when most thought he deserved to win.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Robinson and Pep’s records were impressive. Winning over 100 fights with only 1 loss. Although they obviously fought some lower opposition during it, they fought some really good fighters and didn’t get the time off to rest from injury or get to have training camps like they do today. That’s tough to keep winning.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I totally agree with the Henry Armstrong, Ray Robinson and Mike Tyson mentions. I would add Joe Louis making 25 defences of the SINGLE UNIFIED UNDISPUTED heavyweight championship.

Chevez win streak was impressive too. I don't care that some of the opposition was weak. You could fight my grandmother 80 times and she would get lucky with a haymaker at least once.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​Whilst Mayweather was a magnificent fighter, who I think would have been competitive with anyone .... I don't put much store on his 50 and 0, especially since he made it against a literal novice who he carried for most of the fight.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

El Kabong Guest

Joe Louis 25 consecutive successful title defenses in a row and that is with losing time to World War II

Evander Holyfield he owns at least 1 win over each of the biggest rivals he had: Qawi, Tyson, Lewis, Bowe, Foreman, Moorer, I'll even throw Ruiz in there.

Willie Pep, Archie Moore, Roberto Duran, Ray Robinson...just boatloads of fights numerous wins.

Ali beating Patterson, Liston, Moore, Frazier, Lyle, Foreman, Norton, etc lots of great fighters

Marciano 49-0-0

Wlad had MANY successful title defenses, recovered from a really poor run of form to be a very impressive champ for a long time and ducked nobody.

Vitali struggled a bit with injury through his career but one of the biggest punchers and best KO artists ever and to have been a champ in kickboxing too is impressive.

Hopkins long time reigning champ at 160 and after he was passed it still taught some big time boxing lessons to some younger fighters.

Joe Calzaghe did extremely well throughout his career

Hatton & Cotto fought anyone and everyone but each other good hardnosed boxers.

Larry Holmes

Floyd Mayweather Jr.....sure he picked & chose his way through his later fights, but he's a fucking smart fighter and businessman. He could probably still do Canelo right now.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

That is why Evander should not be on an all time heavyweight champions list. He lost to Moorer !!!!!!!!!
    Blaspheme . Could also be an indicator that he fought the very best of his era, sometimes twice. Whatever health situation he had going on, the fact the Moorer 2nd round was scored 10-10 with KD handing Moorer the belts was asinine. And he bounced him like a ping pong ball in rematch.

Thread Information