Boxing Forums


.



User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,850
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    414
    Cool Clicks

    Default Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Cory Spinks was 2-3 going in against DeAndre Lattimore and lost his last 2.
    Lattimore went in at 19-1 riding an 8 fight win streak and his previous bout stopped Sechew Powell whose loss was to a red hot Kassim the Dream Ouma, turned around and beat Ishe Smith who was rising in status with a lone loss to Sergio Mora but he beat ESPN's then haymaker Randal Bailey.

    So Lattimore was in good status going in against a faded reflexive fighter.
    1st few rounds of Lattimore vs Spinks IMO had change of the guard written all over it. Cory's legs were gone, his timing off and seeing that he had little power this appeared to be a slow drubbing he would take.
    But something happened mid way into the fight!!


    Spinks seemed to accept fate that he had no mobility, so he set down on what shots he could and a nice fight broke out. Shot legs, shot reflexes forced Spinks to scrap his way to a victory
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,333
    Mentioned
    1537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2768
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Simon Brown somehow beat and upset Terry Norris when he was way past his best. Brown lost the return.

    Julius Francis who had lost to a number of domestic fighters as well as Vitali, Schulz and Mavrovic beat an undefeated Pele Reid and Danny Williams to get a pay day against Mike Tyson.

    Larry Holmes on his last legs beat Ray Mercer.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    22,197
    Mentioned
    484 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1711
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Simon Brown somehow beat and upset Terry Norris when he was way past his best. Brown lost the return.

    Julius Francis who had lost to a number of domestic fighters as well as Vitali, Schulz and Mavrovic beat an undefeated Pele Reid and Danny Williams to get a pay day against Mike Tyson.

    Larry Holmes on his last legs beat Ray Mercer.

    That Larry should've asked for a rematch against Tyson. Bwahahahahahaha!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    60,212
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3048
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Pacquiao over Thurman has to rate....I mean no way is Pac anywhere near what he used to be after JMM laid him out.

    Jesse James Leija over Francisco Panchito Bojado certainly ranks up there
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,171
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    829
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Mike Weaver 15th Round KO clearly losing and then two left hooks and as Howard Cosell would have put it, "Done goes Tate."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,333
    Mentioned
    1537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2768
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Simon Brown somehow beat and upset Terry Norris when he was way past his best. Brown lost the return.

    Julius Francis who had lost to a number of domestic fighters as well as Vitali, Schulz and Mavrovic beat an undefeated Pele Reid and Danny Williams to get a pay day against Mike Tyson.

    Larry Holmes on his last legs beat Ray Mercer.

    That Larry should've asked for a rematch against Tyson. Bwahahahahahaha!
    Holmes got a real title shot after that mercer win against Holyfield. Tyson was in jail so Larry probably could have beaten him at that point.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    40,158
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4786
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Good thread, by shot are we talking greatly declined on the tail end of it regardless of opponent more than big underdog though. I'd say like a Edwin Rosario who had been written off more times than losing lotto stubs. He pulled out a come from behind KO over Anthony Jones for a 135 trinket..then gets absolutely battered in next out losing rematch to Juan Nazario. Barely beats a journeyman and looks slower and choppy, then a year later walks into Sacramento as the assumed 'name' doormat for streaking hometown 140 champion Loreto Garza and destroys Garza.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    7,499
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    299
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    2 of those 3 loses for Spinks coming in were nothing to be ashamed of. He had Taylor going backwards all night as the smaller man. Some could argue he even did enough to win the Middleweight Championship that night. The next loss before Latimore was another split decision to hard nosed veteran Verno Phillips.

    What about Jhonny Gonzalez over Hasegawa and Mares?
    They live, We sleep

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    4,850
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    414
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

    Larry Holmes on his last legs beat Ray Mercer.
    Good pick, Holmes may not have been shot as much as just past his prime going in against a should've been sure bet to lose.


    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Good thread, by shot are we talking greatly declined on the tail end of it regardless of opponent more than big underdog though. I'd say like a Edwin Rosario who had been written off more times than losing lotto stubs. He pulled out a come from behind KO over Anthony Jones for a 135 trinket..then gets absolutely battered in next out losing rematch to Juan Nazario. Barely beats a journeyman and looks slower and choppy, then a year later walks into Sacramento as the assumed 'name' doormat for streaking hometown 140 champion Loreto Garza and destroys Garza.
    You called it. I wasn't sure of him back then- in terms of his losses, didnt know if he was a hot n cold fighter in contrast to when his skills faded. Stopped in 92' & 93' yet ended his career on a win streak.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    2 of those 3 loses for Spinks coming in were nothing to be ashamed of. He had Taylor going backwards all night as the smaller man. Some could argue he even did enough to win the Middleweight Championship that night. The next loss before Latimore was another split decision to hard nosed veteran Verno Phillips.

    What about Jhonny Gonzalez over Hasegawa and Mares?
    Agreed on Spinks losses, they were legit, but that Lattimore fight he walked in looking like the boxer that got old in the ring.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    38
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Hopkins vs Kelly Pavlik maybe?
    Not sure Hopkins was considered shot, but he was well into his 40 and coming off the loss to Calzaghe. Pavlik was smashing everyone to pieces at that point, it was a big win when everyone had written Hopkins off.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,333
    Mentioned
    1537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2768
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
    Hopkins vs Kelly Pavlik maybe?
    Not sure Hopkins was considered shot, but he was well into his 40 and coming off the loss to Calzaghe. Pavlik was smashing everyone to pieces at that point, it was a big win when everyone had written Hopkins off.
    Hopkins still got some impressive wins against Cloud and Pascal.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    60,212
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    3048
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    How could we forget The Cinderella Man himself James J. Braddock? He became Heavyweight Champ after he was written off!
    "Drown in a vat of whiskey.....death where is thy sting?" - W.C. Fields.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On the levee
    Posts
    40,158
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    4786
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Gotta pull out a favorite and say Michael Carbajal. Very much on the tail end after being tko'd by literal buzzsaw Baby Jake Matlala. Walks away for a year and a half and comes back with a few low level wins and lands a shot at champ Jorge Arce. Old, stiff and taking shots from every angle..but that right hand remained! Trailing massively on all cards he scores the shocker come from behind tko in 11th, takes the belt and finally retires for good right into the HOF.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    19,547
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    1550
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

    Julius Francis who had lost to a number of domestic fighters as well as Vitali, Schulz and Mavrovic beat an undefeated Pele Reid and Danny Williams to get a pay day against Mike Tyson.
    C'mon
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

    Charley Burley

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    58,333
    Mentioned
    1537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    2768
    Cool Clicks

    Default Re: Shot Fighters Who Pulled Out a Win!

    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

    Julius Francis who had lost to a number of domestic fighters as well as Vitali, Schulz and Mavrovic beat an undefeated Pele Reid and Danny Williams to get a pay day against Mike Tyson.
    C'mon
    OK maybe Francis was not shot more shit but you know Pele knocked out Vitali in kick boxing which is his claim to fame.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 06:44 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 01:38 AM
  3. Fighters that were shot in their 20s
    By generalbulldog in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 12:37 PM
  4. < Fighters who you think deserve a title shot >
    By CutMeMick in forum Boxing Talk
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 11:54 PM
  5. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 10:12 AM

Bookmarks

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  





Boxing | Boxing Photos | Boxing News | Boxing Videos | Boxing Forum | Boxing Books | Boxing Posters | Learn to Box | Advanced Fighting Methods | Boxing Rankings | Boxing Schedule | Auctions | Fun and Games | Boxing Equipment

Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Saddo Boxing - Boxing