Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Yildirim V Canelo

I haven't seen a cliffhanger this tense since EastEnders was in it's pomp. Would it be Yildirim V Canelo, or Smith, or Canelo, or Saunders, or Canelo, or Benavidez.......or Canelo.

Well who'd have thunk it. Canelo gets the shot.

The World Boxing Council has ordered a fight between Canelo Alvarez and Avni Yildirim for its vacant super middleweight belt.

The title was left vacant when David Benavidez failed to make weight ahead of last Saturday's bout against Roamer Alexis Angulo.
    I know people will rubbish Yildirim. I can hear it now. He got battered by Eubank Jnr for fucks sake!!!?

Bear this in mind. Yes he got hammered by Eubank Jnr. But he also has a win over a 57 year old Lolenga Mock (majority decision ) which is no mean feat.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Yildirim V Canelo

Wow I guess I was wrong about the WBC.

Here all this time I've been thinking that they're just a corrupt "Canelo-friendly" boxing organization, making up belts and titles for Canelo and giving him preferential treatment over everyone else.

Now it turns out they're making him face the feared and often-ducked Avni Yildirim.

I didn't think they would have the guts to do that..... exposing Canelo to the mighty and dangerous threat of "Mr. Robot."

Finally....... a meaningful and well-earned belt opportunity for Canelo.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Billy Joe Saunders slams ‘cherry picker’ Canelo Alvarez after WBC order Avni Yildirim fight for vacant world title

Billy Joe Saunders has branded Canelo Alvarez a ‘cherry picker’ after hearing the latest news over his possible next fight.

The pound-for-pound star is still searching for an opponent to return against this year, with his planned date of September 12 no longer on the table.

It’s been reported that there are issues behind the scenes with broadcaster DAZN, who are rumoured to be attempting to drastically reduce the amount Canelo is contractually guaranteed for every fight under their deal.

Now, the Mexican and his team have seemingly made a move in response.

Last Friday, highly rated WBC super-middleweight champion David Benavidez failed to make weight for his fight with Roamer Angulo and so was stripped of the title.

As a result, the belt is now vacant with Turkish mandatory challenger Avni Yildirim waiting to contest it.

Over the weekend Canelo requested to face Yildirim for the title and, on Tuesday, the WBC officially granted the request by ordering that fight.

The decision has been met by widespread disappointment among boxing fans, most of whom don’t believe the Turk – who was knocked out in three round by Chris Eubank Jr back in 2017 – will be competitive with Canelo.

Saunders reacted: “Didn’t see Canelo wanting the WBC when David Benavidez had it a week ago. Cherry picker.”

It is still yet to be seen if Canelo’s issues with DAZN can be worked out, and whether the broadcaster will approve the Yildirim fight.

Billy Joe previously also told iFL TV: “Listen, I’ll tell you the best thing for Canelo to do.

“Wait until December and come to a proper super-middleweight, a proper champion.

“Wait until December, then let’s go. December, we’re ready, let’s go.

“Fair, even playing field, no robbery.

“I’ll you what I’ll do – the money I’ve signed for, keep it. I swear to God, I’ll let you keep it.

“If he wants to come to England I’ll let him keep it and I’ll fight him for free.

“If I beat him, pay me what I’m contracted. If I don’t, don’t pay me.

“That’s how fair I can be. That’s how confident I am of beating him.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/7...avni-yildirim/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As poor as that is from the WBC and Canelo, Billy Joe Saunders is a gobshite and needs to pipe down!! Desperate to be heard and get his Canelo pay day.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And we wonder why the franchise fighter of the sport sits idle on a couch waiting for a UFC fight to finish up before taking the ring. Nothing like setting your goals high, now he just has to batter Yildirim worse than Eubank and Dirrell and statement made!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

david is to blame for not making weight & ggg should have taken the fight with canelo in september
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    david is to blame for not making weight & ggg should have taken the fight with canelo in september
    Canelo should be blamed if he takes this fight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    To some extent, but he can also only beat those who are put in place by the rankings, for whatever title.

We all know that titles are really not the be all and end all, but let's face it they add allure and prestige to a fighter, if he's draped in belts at the end of a fighter, the 80% of people watching are casuals and don't really have any idea that there are so many bodies and belts available.

The WBC have placed at guy at number 1 who has been beaten the TWO times he has stepped up against anyone remotely close to a "contender".
    Yes there are much more engaging and better fights there for Canelo but who can really blame him for taking an easy fight, for a recognised title, that he will still make a boat load of money for. Given his last 5 fights include GGG twice, Danny jacobs and Kovalev, I certainly see the sense in him taking an easier fight.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    To some extent, but he can also only beat those who are put in place by the rankings, for whatever title.

We all know that titles are really not the be all and end all, but let's face it they add allure and prestige to a fighter, if he's draped in belts at the end of a fighter, the 80% of people watching are casuals and don't really have any idea that there are so many bodies and belts available.

The WBC have placed at guy at number 1 who has been beaten the TWO times he has stepped up against anyone remotely close to a "contender".
    Yes there are much more engaging and better fights there for Canelo but who can really blame him for taking an easy fight, for a recognised title, that he will still make a boat load of money for. Given his last 5 fights include GGG twice, Danny jacobs and Kovalev, I certainly see the sense in him taking an easier fight.
    Dazn should be blamed if it allows this fight.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why would it be DAZN's fault? Do you mean explicitly? We're generally grasping at straws with this stuff but the news is that DAZN don't want this fight. They've got a massive investment in Canelo and they want a return on it. I guess Canelo alone is a big sell for a fight, but who he fights matters. They're pushing for the third GGG fight. They've apparently knocked back several options. They have to have him fight in September and he has to fight someone.

On the face of it, Goldenboy pitch opponents to DAZN, so from Canelo's end they must think those opponents are alright. At some point DAZN have got to say yes or they lose out.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why throw around blame everywhere but where it squarely belongs?

Canelo..... as much as he's thrilled about collecting another empty belt against a dead body..... did not go out and force anyone to pit him against Yildirim.

DAZN is just another medium and will put out there whatever fight involves Canelo.

GBP.... as low a credibility Fishnets has..... is going to twist and spin ANY fight involving Canelo into a life-death struggle..... in which Canelo is in real danger of losing.

Let's face it.

The entirety of the blame for this one falls squarely on the shoulders of none other than the................

We

Blow

Canelo

It's gotten to a point where it's not even disguised.

"Yeah..... we look after our coddled countryman. We make up belts for him....... we make up bogus titles for him...... we protect him like he was our firstborn child. What of it?"

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

WBC

We do it Because we Can

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The quicker boxers decide to sack off the belts and alphabet bodies rankings the better.

I once held out some hope that The Ring title was the one that mattered and that boxers would strive for. But then De La Hoya bought the magazine and that put paid to any kind of "independant" label they had.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no one forced david to miss weight. david is the only reason the title is vacant
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Light at the end of the tunnel. Looks like DAZN can't stomach WBC's choice of a sacrificial lamb to give Canelo another meaningless trinket.

Good for them.

Thread Information