Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Whyte vs Povetkin Rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
    Anyone else a bit sick of these rematch clauses in any semi important bout?
    Especially when these guys fight once a year or so. And it generally is always the case of when the guy that was supposed to win losses. Why didn't Parker get a rematch against Whyte for instance? He had him in all sorts of trouble at the end buy lost on the cards, rightly so. Maybe there was a rematch clause they wasn't taken up, I don't know, but my mind says that's unlikely.

It'll never happen because it is kind of a safety net for a promoter to get their guy back in to make up for the loss, but they should probably only be allowed to exercise a rematch clause if the fight was a close fought contest. As in either both guys went down at some point in the fight (maybe one got the stoppage eventually but was in trouble earlier), or the case of Whyte-Pasrker above warrented a rematch or if it the fight is a close decision.

It is annoying and as far as I'm concerned Povetkin has earned the right to fight the Fury v Wilder winner.
    He beat the mandatory fair and square so should occupy that position now.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We all saw it coming didn't we? Didn't expect it, especially after the fourth round but we knew the danger was there and Povetkin delivered. It was a perfect storm if you like. Change of trainer, last minute corner changes, on the cusp of a title shot (apparently) no crowd, dominant previous round. Whyte was coasting. It all added up to 'something' happening.

I thought Dillian fought a good fight. I thought his instructions were good. I don't buy the argument that he let him off the hook. The two knockdowns were good. The first left hook was a bit of a knock over but the two right hands Povetkin ate prior we're full blooded, they did the damage. The second was a cute inside left hook that Dillian likes and is good at. Povetkin was never really on queer street though was he? Good knockdowns, decent punches landed but he was up pretty quickly, looked OK and the round was over before he could do any more damage. The fight was over after 20 seconds of the fifth round. Other than running across the ring at the bell and throwing the kitchen sink what else was he supposed to do? Dangerous puncher across the ring from him, he's breaking him down at a canter, keep doing it and let the finish come in the next round or two.

I think it was Joshua that peddled this finish him off stuff wasn't it? The window was tiny, barely there, and Joshua of all people should know better.

In Dillians head, he gets a December rematch, wins it and all is well in the World. He's back to where he started. Given what he's been through to get there the first time, does he really think he's going to be fighting for a title in two fights time? No one was knocking down any doors for him before hand.

It's a bit of a double edged sword the manner of the loss. He got chinned good and proper, one punch knockout. We've seen it happen to better fighters than Dillian Whyte and we've seen the result reversed. I just got unlucky, careless, I was bossing the fight etc..

It has to change your mindset though. And for someone that screams maximum violence, going into your shell even a bit, just isn't good enough. A great run of form over a number of years hasn't been good enough to force a title shot. Carefully getting past Povetkin in a safety first rematch won't sell it either.

I mentioned it last week and Al has here. That good run of form has taken a toll on Dillian. He picked up some good wins but all at a cost and he's ridden his luck on a few occasions. Difficult to say after that thunderbolt but the resistance might not be what it once was. The two times he's faced powerful blokes with a bit of technique who can land those big punches with precision, rather than agricultural whacks like Del Boy or Rivas, he's come unstuck and been knocked out badly.

I hope he gets the rematch, I hope he wins it and gets his title shot. He's earned one. First time around it was a case of Dillian too big, strong, fresh, but Povetkin can still punch and that left hand....

Now, a rematch is fifty fifty and no amount of dominance for the first four rounds will change that. Dillian is stronger, bigger, fresher, but Povetkin only needs to land once.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Fury and Wilder had been facing the competition Whyte has the big three wouldn't exist. Best thing that ever happened to Wilder was swerving Povetkin and there's a reason Fury fights a bunch of "gimmes" before any "top" guy.

Ironically Dillian looked better than ever. Just got outplayed by a brilliant veteran who's continually underrated because he's a Russian not American. Povetkin has a highlight reel of one punch KO's against top opposition going back donkey's years. And his finish was a piece of art.

And fuck the Fury-Wilder winner. Why do we need that again? It's done. And fuck Joshua-Pulev mandatory too. Fuck the belts. The modern day "hardcore" fan is more gassed by belts and bling than ever. If any fan says they're not interested in Fury-AJ without the belts they're not a boxing fan. Fact. Wilder and Fury should have been facing Povetkin, Whyte, Ruiz, Rivas, Uysk, Ortiz, Parker, Chisora etc a long time ago. Fuck the big three. We need one clear champion then everyone mentioned is a viable elite world-class challenger. (sorry, got a bit carried away with the rant)
    Last edited by Fenster; 08-24-2020 at 12:50 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post
    Whyte goes down hard against Povetkin the ref doesn't count the full 10. Fury goes down just as hard against Wilder but the ref counts the full 10 and Fury get up to get a draw.

I can't stand the refs who waves fights off without counting the full 10. Makes my blood boil.

Yes. Whyte would not have beaten the count anyway. But that's not the point. From 1sec to 5sec he was in the exact same comatosed state as Fury.

There needs to be mandatory rule that you always give the full count of ten.
    Do you suspect the ref last night was a racist?
    What do you think ?

I think you have serious issues, you'll be telling us that Howard Foster was Gingerphobic next because he stopped George Groves controversially.
    I haven't said or claimed anything. You brought race into it. Not me.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What is the stand down period in the UK after being stopped? December might be a bit soon.

A rematch will probably be another case of who can take what the other has to offer.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty sure you have to wait a full month before you can even spar after a KO loss.
    I know Fury did after the first Wilder fight

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eddie Hearn insists Dillian Whyte 'has to rematch Alexander Povetkin by the end of November at the latest' before Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder III so winner can push WBC for title shot

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/bo...-November.html

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
    Anyone else a bit sick of these rematch clauses in any semi important bout?
    Especially when these guys fight once a year or so. And it generally is always the case of when the guy that was supposed to win losses. Why didn't Parker get a rematch against Whyte for instance? He had him in all sorts of trouble at the end buy lost on the cards, rightly so. Maybe there was a rematch clause they wasn't taken up, I don't know, but my mind says that's unlikely.

It'll never happen because it is kind of a safety net for a promoter to get their guy back in to make up for the loss, but they should probably only be allowed to exercise a rematch clause if the fight was a close fought contest. As in either both guys went down at some point in the fight (maybe one got the stoppage eventually but was in trouble earlier), or the case of Whyte-Pasrker above warrented a rematch or if it the fight is a close decision.
    I had my modest £10 on Povetkin at 3-1, only to find that bastard Hearn wanted money to watch the fight! So I went to bed and picked up the next day. Anyone who thinks a rematch will sell on PPV is deluded.

Thread Information