Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jose Ramirez vs Viktor Postol

Jose Ramirez is motivated by the prospect of facing some of the biggest names in boxing as he plots a move to welterweight - but not before he has a unification showdown with Josh Taylor.

The reigning WBC and WBO light-welterweight champion, Ramirez defends his titles on Saturday when he takes on experienced challenger Viktor Postol in Las Vegas.

It is a bout that looks set to finally go ahead at the third attempt, as initial dates in February and May were scrapped due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The postponements have seen Ramirez inactive for over a year, yet the Californian says the time since his impressive stoppage win over Maurice Hooker in July 2019 has gone by like a "blur".

While he must deal with Postol first, the 28-year-old is already plotting ahead as he targets Scotsman Taylor, who currently holds the WBA and IBF titles, and is willing to travel to make it happen.

"I do want that fight, for sure. That's the fight I want next. That's still my plan," Ramirez told Stats Perform News.

"Not to be insincere, I know he has a mandatory late September so if the fight doesn't happen this year, it could happen early next year.

"Now, as far as the venue, I would be excited to go to the United Kingdom and fight there. I would be more than happy and motivated to do that.

"I think it would be lovely for me to be able to showcase my talent in front of a whole different crowd, different fans. I would be willing to do that, whatever it takes for the fight to happen and wherever it's going to bring the most momentum."

Whenever and wherever the Taylor fight takes place, Ramirez acknowledged that he has a limited amount of time left at the 10-stone limit. A switch to welterweight not only makes life easier on the scales but also opens up a number of lucrative possibilities, too.

Terence Crawford holds the WBO title, while Errol Spence Jr has the IBF and WBC belts. Then there is the legendary Manny Pacquiao, who sits in the position of 'super' champion with the WBA.

"I think there's two more fights at 140 [the light-welterweight limit], hopefully, and then I move to 147," Ramirez said when asked about his long-term future.

"It's time for me to let my body grow and see how much I can develop and let my power also develop and put some extra mass and be a bigger fighter that I know I can be.

"If it's Terence Crawford or any other champion, my goal will be to become a world champion at 147 as well."

He added: "I think those things motivate me the most. So, two more fights and I will be happy to make that move to 147, especially if I fight Josh Taylor for all four belts.

"There wouldn't be any reason to stay at 140. I know there's some good 135-pounders out there, but nothing motivates me [more] than the names Crawford, Pacquaio, Spence – those types of champions.

"I know if I let my body grow, I know I could be a much better 147-pounder than a 140-pounder."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/ram...120000298.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jose Ramirez vs Viktor Postol

Jose Ramirez v Viktor Postol: Unification plans put at risk in Las Vegas bubble

Finally, Jose Ramirez will get to defend his WBC and WBO light-welterweight titles against Viktor Postol on Saturday.

The duo had two different fight dates cancelled previously due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, but it appears set to be third time lucky as they prepare to top the bill inside the MGM Grand's bubble in Las Vegas.

On the face of it, Ramirez has little to gain and much to lose against an opponent who, while not known for his hard-hitting power, has the durability to suggest he should prove a tough obstacle to navigate with a unification bout looming on the horizon.

The champion from California was impressive last time out, stopping Maurice Hooker in sensational fashion to claim the WBO belt.

However, that was over a year ago. Training camps leading up to planned bouts in February and May proved fruitless. Still, after the frustrating delays, a determined Ramirez is ready for action.

"I took a few weeks off to get reset and just enjoy my family for a few weeks before I came back to the gym," he told Stats Perform News. "Now it's been a good solid nine weeks of training camp to get ready for this fight, which I'm looking forward to."

The 28-year-old knows there is more than just titles at stake here. Win and a showdown with Scotland's Josh Taylor, who holds the IBF and WBA straps, could be next, potentially even before the end of 2020, according to promoter Bob Arum.

A move up to welterweight appears likely at some stage in the future too, yet for now the focus has to be firmly on Postol, a 36-year-old with plenty of experience and out to prove he's far from past it. The Ukrainian is unlikely to freeze on the big stage either, despite being nicknamed 'The Ice Man'.

If Ramirez plays it cool and prevails, big opportunities beckon. Defeat, though, will suddenly ruin those grand plans for career-defining nights.

RECENT HISTORY

A former Olympian - he was part of the United States' boxing team at the 2012 Games, Ramirez collected more gold when he impressively put paid to Hooker's unbeaten record in July 2019.

Hooker had home advantage in Arlington, Texas, but it did him few favours. Caught by a left hook, the local boy was stopped in the sixth when taking a flurry of shots while stuck against the ropes.

Ramirez was somewhat less convincing when recording a majority decision verdict over Jose Zepeda earlier in the year, but he still managed to retain the WBO belt he claimed with victory over Amir Ahmed Imam in 2018.

As for Postol, his only two defeats - both on points - have come against high-class opposition. Having gone the distance with Terence Crawford in 2016 before losing his WBO strap on the scorecards, he went 12 rounds with Taylor two years later.

Since that second reverse, he has recorded victories over Siar Ozgul and Mohamed Mimoune in low-key 10-rounders.

TALE OF THE TAPE

JOSE RAMIREZ

Height: 5ft 10ins (178cm)
    Weight: 9st, 13lbs, 8oz
    Reach: 72.5ins
    Professional record: 25-0 (17 KOs)
    Major career titles: WBC, WBO light-welterweight

VIKTOR POSTOL

Height: 5ft 11ins (180cm)
    Weight: 9st, 13lbs, 7oz
    Reach: 73.5ins
    Professional record: 31-2 (12 KOs)
    Major career titles: WBC light-welterweight

THE UNDERCARD

Chief support is provided by another clash between two light-welterweights, as the undefeated Arnold Barboza Jr - who boasts a stoppage win over Mike Alvarado on his professional record - takes on Canadian Tony Luis over 10 rounds.

The rest of the card sees prospects in action hoping to catch the eye in Vegas, including lightweight Raymond Muratalla and welterweight Elvis Rodriguez.

WHAT THE FIGHTERS HAVE TO SAY...

Ramirez on Postol: "He's a very complicated fighter so hopefully I overwhelm him and my pressure and my power, my skills, my speed, and hopefully I surprise myself too in how much I've grown as a fighter. I'm more focused on seeing that from myself rather than to be worried about what he's going to bring to the table."

Ramirez on the delays: Everything happens for a reason. I'm a man of faith so I stay optimistic. I don't lose my faith. I don't lose myself in many distractions. I stay very focused. I'm very focused on August 29.

Postol on his preparations: "This camp was tough, because I came three months before this date. But I feel good, I feel ready. Ready to fight."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/jos...210051467.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alright. Go time! Just glad this fight is actually happening . Third times the charm. Feel it would have been better for Postal earlier and think he'll have a hard time keeping up with Ramirez once he gets rolling.

Didn't even realize Lara is fighting for yet another 154 trinket tonight..WBA of course . Like to see the PBC primetime cards on a Saturday. Unfortunately my local channel is showing repeats of Saints seasons ffs.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Current state of boxing

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting seeing them up close. Postal is looking pretty bulked and beefy. Better style Postal but Ramirez getting work done with left hooks and knocking him back on heels. Gonna have to sit down at some point and keep him off

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Best jab at 2 minute mark for Postol stands Ramirez still for a minute. Better 2nd for Postol the jab was accurate upstairs and downstairs. Someone get Time Bradley some decaf. Just called Postol 5 different names and left him talking to himself

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ramirez gives Postol a little dip but looked balance more. Steady stride now for Postol and Ramirez trying to calculate between that stutter step herky jerky stab and move stuff Postol does. Ramirez needs to get in those ribs.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2-2 even up

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

3-2 Postol styling doing as he pleases. Ramirez has to switch it up, he's pressured off and looking like a spectator this round

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have it 4-2 for Ramirez after 6. Postol is definitely having his moments but Ramirez is overall doing better I think.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good on Bradley calling out Ward . Credit to Postol he's picking his shots, accuracy on and gave him last 3.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Good on Bradley calling out Ward . Credit to Postol he's picking his shots, accuracy on and gave him last 3.
    I actually agreed with Ward. I always feel like Bradley is like the little brother that Ward talks down to.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh nice left hook snaps Postol up in corner and had him crossing along the ropes. Postol steadies at end but round Ramirez on doing the hurt. 4-3 Postol

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I actually agreed with Ward. I always feel like Bradley is like the little brother that Ward talks down to.
    If I had a mute button for Tim I'd use it . But 4-0 clear Ramirez was a little wthuh.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From the beginning of the fight, this fight just seemed like Ramirez would eventually land something big and stop Postol. Ramirez is started to land a little more now and I think it will end up happening.

Thread Information