Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Food That Tastes Better/Worse Over Time

Alright I'm def not starting a thread for it but...what's up with air fryers?! All I see are raves and recipes that basically consist of only cooking times. If my grandma saw her offspring frying chicken in something called an air fryer she may rise and just keel over again. But they sound quite efficient..

Corn and flour tortillas as severely underrated. Especially on a skint week. Fry them fold them stuff them, whatever. Be amazed what you can make quality tostados with. Homemade chips too.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Alright I'm def not starting a thread for it but...what's up with air fryers?! All I see are raves and recipes that basically consist of only cooking times. If my grandma saw her offspring frying chicken in something called an air fryer she may rise and just keel over again. But they sound quite efficient..

Corn and flour tortillas as severely underrated. Especially on a skint week. Fry them fold them stuff them, whatever. Be amazed what you can make quality tostados with. Homemade chips too.
    I have my own cast iron tortilla press and make my own, we eat Mexican food weekly as its fresh and vibrant. Nothing nicer than homemade hot corn tortillas with home made salsa and guacamole and of course soured cream.
    Been to Mexico many times and love the food and people.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Air fryers are healthy and cheaper than using an oven. We have a big one but they are not large enough for the food we want to put in there.

Have been using them for the last 4 years.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was skeptical of air fryers at first, of course having been used to a lifetime of frying in some kind of oil.

To my surprise, however, some things come out rather well from air fryers. My wife has become quite adept at it... and french fries and wings come out great!

Microwaves aren't good at reheating some things (they become soggy)... and air fryers are a good alternative.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Air fryers are good for some things, just like microwaves are.but they’re not the coming of the next messiah.
    Some things are better deep fried for a reason.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.maytag.com/blog/kitchen/...of%20the%20oil.

"Deep fryers will give a traditional taste and are best for thick or wet batters, as wet batter may drip through the air fryer basket before it sets. Foods with dry exteriors work best in an air fryer and can still create crispy, caramelized foods using a fraction of the oil."

Makes sense. BTW... this conversation is making me hungry.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah they are a big deal lately -- Master how "big" FFS is the food you'd like to put in there?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cake soaked in rum and left on the table for a week

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Air fryers are just convection/toaster ovens:

Mexican food is just shit wrapped in other shit.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I was skeptical of air fryers at first, of course having been used to a lifetime of frying in some kind of oil.

To my surprise, however, some things come out rather well from air fryers. My wife has become quite adept at it... and french fries and wings come out great!

Microwaves aren't good at reheating some things (they become soggy)... and air fryers are a good alternative.
    That's what popped to my mind, really suited for quick snack fry ups. The size is pretty limited from what I've seen and you cannot 'stack' or make a full 3,4 person meal. Microwave is all reheating here. Maybe scrambled eggs in there, which really aren't bad. And reheat teas of coffees.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

I have my own cast iron tortilla press and make my own, we eat Mexican food weekly as its fresh and vibrant. Nothing nicer than homemade hot corn tortillas with home made salsa and guacamole and of course soured cream.
    Been to Mexico many times and love the food and people.
    True Al definitely. We used to do that more when we lived on the West coast and homemade tamales. Think the older I got my patience ran out though . In the habit now of using larger ones for homemade crunch wraps etc. Give me some grilled peppers, romas, steak, onions and quac and it's on! Mexican food is stacked with options and variations.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Air fryers are just convection/toaster ovens:

Mexican food is just shit wrapped in other shit.
    Blasphemy bro just blasphemy .

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    cake soaked in rum and left on the table for a week
    A proper Christmas cake should be in a tin and fed (injected with booze) for many weeks.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My neighbor had a pound cake, just like a yellow cake inside. It had a few raisins in the Cake part. It was a double layer cake. In between the layers he had poured Myers dark Jamaican rum. On the top he made a banana buttercream icing.

What happened was, he left the cake out on his table for about 1 week. Uncovered. So this cake became a bit dehydrated and firm. The icing on the top became kind of like crunchy, and the cake became almost crunchy. It had the most exquisite taste and texture, much better than when it was fresh.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    My neighbor had a pound cake, just like a yellow cake inside. It had a few raisins in the Cake part. It was a double layer cake. In between the layers he had poured Myers dark Jamaican rum. On the top he made a banana buttercream icing.

What happened was, he left the cake out on his table for about 1 week. Uncovered. So this cake became a bit dehydrated and firm. The icing on the top became kind of like crunchy, and the cake became almost crunchy. It had the most exquisite taste and texture, much better than when it was fresh.
    Sounds like leaving a King Cake out for a while. We have them coming out the arse right now with Mardi Gras. The sugar hardens on the filled ones, I'm a sucker for cinnamon apple, but warm it up and taste remains. Never thought of Jamaican rum though . Hey there's always tomorrow.

Thread Information