Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Are you getting a flu shot this year

I had to get another covid test a week or so ago. I was at work and had some symptoms. It was very annoying I knew 99.9% I didn’t have covid but I work with a vulnerable population. I couldn’t in good faith go by my gut. Also a large percentage of the people I work with don’t follow any safe practices when in public and in many cases have poor hygienic practices. So I’d be concerned of both getting it from them but more so giving it to them. I used an hour and half of sick time and went and got an instant test which was negative. I asked the doctor what to do in such cases, he told me to try Tylenol and or allergy meds first. He called me in some allergy meds.

So I go pick up the allergy meds. The pharmacy is giving out free flu shots. I know those flu shots can be hit or miss and I’ve gotten one in the past and felt kinda shitty from it but then I start thinking if allergy’s makes me miss work imagine the flu. My place being in the medical field is already talking about mandating the flu shot but that is a different story. So with all the crap going on I got the shot. My state had a less than 1% transmission rate but things are still all screwed up. I’m trying to get people services and with the shutdown so many people are suffering and everything is done by phone I have literally spent 3hrs of my 8hr work day on hold (via phone) yes I use speaker phone so I can do paperwork etc but in some cases that isn’t possible. So, long babble but I thought all things considered this is the year to get the flu shot, even though I have no clue what’s in the damn thing and yes I felt like crap the next day.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are you getting a flu shot this year

Here is a list of some of the morbidities our clients have. Major depression, bi-polar, diabetes, schizoaffective d/o, borderline personality d/o, paranoid schizophrenia, autism, many have poly substance abuse to the point where one was misdiagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and is now thought just to be on the spectrum but he was strung out on meth for years I guess a doctor in California slapped that label on him and to this day he is getting billed as a paranoid schizophrenic as once a doc puts a label on you it’s hard to shake which is screwed up. That is just a sample of the illnesses a lot of diabetics as well I don’t know if that is from medications, diet hereditary or whatever I’m just dealing with what’s in front of me I can’t make that call

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Along with a flu shot I might order Spence vs Garcia

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I should also mention the administration made sure the CDC flooded the country with the flu shot hoping most people will get the shot for various reasons. Those are the pharmacist words not mine. I don’t recommend it to anyone that’s a decision we all have to make ourselves but I’ll just tell you the injection site was sore for several days and for a day or two I felt a little crappy but bounced back quick. I’m not a big advocate of these vaccines just seems prudent now if you are out and about. It’s kinda sad to see we have a less than 1% transmission rate but businesses are still closing left and right as our governor won’t relent. I’m not saying open 100% but we have met and surpassed to federal guidelines to move into another opening phase but nope, businesses just closing all over here

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Our work place offer a flu jab every year but I never take up their offer. They also offered health checks but stopped that now.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You knocked back something free? You've changed.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To each's own. I guess for me: follow what our grandparents did (or grandmoms) the food/practice usually were the best for our immune system. Eating out was a rarity and the food she cooked, today are called booster for the immune system. I remember her getting ill/flu like symptoms just once in my life. She lived close to 90. Not saying dont get one, but my mom has to get one based on her healthcare provider and I am disgusted by it because she has caught the flu 2 out of 4 shots. or bad reaction to it? Whatever is at the pharmacists? Seems 50/50. if not lesser odds.

Funny looking back on how my grandmother (mom's side) would get on our case for small stuff like we couldn't put anything in refrigerator without wiping it down, I thought it was silly, but today her practice would be considered on point for airborne illness/infectious agents surviving on surfaces, bottles etc.

My dad's mom past before I was 3, but heard she was similar, ate to live as opposed of living to eat what taste good.

Social/societal wise its a double edged sword. Ideology for liberals and conservative IMO are both careless, hypocritical always quick to point out what others are doing wrong for prevention of covid, yet quick to justify when they do it, so seems in your field take the pill of- damned if U do, damned if you don't.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would get one like from a neighborhood pharmacist. It seems pre 1970s, corner pharmacists knew their customers, from members and their ailments and usually offered 2 remedies
    1st was natural and the 2nd was a pill/shot.

But since pharmacists have been turned into business chains- some young kid gives U the prescription and the head pharmacist may talk to you if it is some heavy drugs being administered. And doctors for the most part are never involved in giving shots.
    Walgreens or CVC pharmacist asks questions, that back in the day, corner-neighborhood pharmacist knew by dealing with the family for years. In Milwaukee it was a guy named Dr. Carter aka Carter Pharmacy -

https://www.tmj4.com/news/coronaviru...-public-spaces

Here is how the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel identified him when asking his take on the pandemic

Beloved Milwaukee pharmacist Dr. Lester Carter shares advice for returning to public spaces

Look at how upright in the video this 88 year old man still is! Walks pretty darn good too! To this day he offers immune-remedies, not magical cures. When giving flu shots or pills he gives his staff knowledge on what pills or shots replaces- that was once used.
    His position- is wearing a mask is ok, but rather than preference on this thing called social distancing- why not STRESS on boosting the IMMUNE SYSTEM!!
    In other words we can social distanced from here until 2030...wear masks and eye goggles, that shit aint gonna eliminate what a man who has fought in Korean & Vietnam wars says he has never seen a disease or virus have the impact on people the way this covid -19 has.

He gives it take on George Floyd's death being used by bad people to tear up businesses- not related to this topic- but the video in that links offers that.
    I'd wager in every major city there is still a Dr. Carter. Be it in an all white, or Hispanic community- their customers I'd wager are the least likely to succumb to covid deaths, flu deaths because they have their priorities str8!

My point is- when he says he is now assisting some customers who have brought their kids aka (3rd generational) he knows about them. Knows what ails them, which family members have bad reactions from drugs.
    That's who is supposed to administer our pills, our shots.

A Pharmacist that can say- You want condoms? I remember when you were a baby and your mom bought talcum powder for your bottom! That's the one who requests a flu shot? Then get one. His/Hers!!
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 09-07-2020 at 03:35 PM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Our work place offer a flu jab every year but I never take up their offer. They also offered health checks but stopped that now.
    I don’t know how that would work if the company mandated it here. I don’t think they would supply it, just say you had to get one. But like I said it hasn’t been enacted yet so who knows. I just heard it was brought up in a meeting with the higher ups. I’m just a grunt so these things trickle down and you take them as they come. I do need to get a yearly physical and I need to take care of that but that is kind of a wash since my insurance covers yearly physicals. IMO if these places mandate shit they should cover the tab. I could bring that up I’m sure they would be very interested in my opinion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly haven't had a flu shot since I was in my teens.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Understood. And I usually don’t get them. But are you thinking of getting one with what’s going on now. Like I said my area has a less than 1% transmission rate but I figure it won’t hurt to be overly cautious this year. Or are you definitely abstaining. I support either way just curios

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

According to what I’m reading the flu vaccine decreases your chances by 40% to 60% of getting it so even that is a gamble. Even that last covid test I got mentions the possibilities of false positives and false negatives. Makes you scratch your head a bit.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Understood. And I usually don’t get them. But are you thinking of getting one with what’s going on now. Like I said my area has a less than 1% transmission rate but I figure it won’t hurt to be overly cautious this year. Or are you definitely abstaining. I support either way just curios
    It's weird like that. I've just honestly never thought about it. Back in the day we'd get loaded up in the beater Station wagon and taken annually to the Doctor for shots. I'm not in the anti-pro vaccination hub bub but in a way have to wonder if you're opening oneself up to more potential problems introducing any vaccine after 30 years dormant .

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    It's weird like that. I've just honestly never thought about it. Back in the day we'd get loaded up in the beater Station wagon and taken annually to the Doctor for shots. I'm not in the anti-pro vaccination hub bub but in a way have to wonder if you're opening oneself up to more potential problems introducing any vaccine after 30 years dormant .
    Ya, I’m not sure of that one either. Not sure of very much lately tbh. Like I said I’m not against vaccines I just don’t usually get them. If not for this other thing going around I probably wouldn’t have bothered

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They normally inject a flu strain from the previous year and you become immune to that particular one. However you could still get a different flu and the thought of getting injected for no good reason does not appeal to me.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information