Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Most Disciplined Boxers Throughout Their Careers

Never seen a time when Joe Calzaghe, Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao had to get back in shape for a fight.

What other boxers were disciplined throughout their entire career. Sure there has to be dozens.

Those 3 are on another level.

I've heard Duran had the ability to get back in shape, meaning at some point he probably could guzzle down some beer and liquor, eat more than he should, but come fight camp- he was on his A game.

Not with these 3. They seemed to live the life of an athlete.

This seconds Bhop just popped in my mind, so now I am up to 4!

I can't even say Roy Jones, because it is obvious his last 5+ years showed a change in his physique to accompany his loss of hand & foot speed, reflexes as well.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Most Disciplined Boxers Throughout Their Careers

Marciano was one of the hardest trainers and the most focused, disciplined guy between fights.

Before the 1950's, it seems harder to compare because the Fighters boxed so often they didn't really have time 'in between' fights.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Marciano was one of the hardest trainers and the most focused, disciplined guy between fights.

Before the 1950's, it seems harder to compare because the Fighters boxed so often they didn't really have time 'in between' fights.
    Good one on Rock.
    As far as the 1950s, no problem that was 70 years worth of fighters ago for us to choose then!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Evander Holyfield at his peak.

Maybe Floyd Mayweather.

AJ seems to always be in shape.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Evander Holyfield at his peak.

Maybe Floyd Mayweather.

AJ seems to always be in shape.
    Holy for sure, I didn't include him because over the years I have been slowly convinced he may have had uh...supplements.
    Of course Floyd, man, he fights at his walk around weight. Training is for the advanced only

But Joshua? Dude is only 7 years old in boxing years....revisit this thread in another five years!!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At the pro, elite level, I think a list of un-disciplined boxers might be shorter (seems to me). The notable outliers were the ones who blew up between fights and then had to lose weight like mad in order to get back in shape. I think fighters at the elite level only stayed that way by staying in fighting weight and shape throughout their careers. No small feat considering the extended times between fights in today's era.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm gonna smack myself but what about a Wlad. Took discipline and maybe some scary flashbacks to stay behind that phone pole jab and sometimes stink out the crowd. Always seemed to keep his nose clean. Hopkins has as tunnel vision as they came. Self motivated self committed man always in top shape. Always in a zone. Holyfield on fitness and form but had a knack for throwing out the jab and movement and would often settle right down for an exchange. Ricardo Lopez always came of as a consummate professional and definitely wasn't slamming beers and scarfing donuts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was never a big fan of Wladimir as a fighter ..... but he was definitely focused, dedicated and a consummate pro who was a dignified champion, never in the news for the wrong reasons.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    At the pro, elite level, I think a list of un-disciplined boxers might be shorter (seems to me). The notable outliers were the ones who blew up between fights and then had to lose weight like mad in order to get back in shape. I think fighters at the elite level only stayed that way by staying in fighting weight and shape throughout their careers. No small feat considering the extended times between fights in today's era.
    Ricky Hatton comes to mind. Definitely James Toney.

People like Ray Mercer always looked in shape, but alcohol was his nemesis- Michael Dokes another. no discipline to drink at least in moderation.
    Riddick Bowe another.

Guys who succumbed to drug binging in between like Johnny Tapia to Ray Leonard. I was shocked to find out at one point Tyson had ballooned up right before he was set to fight Holyfield. SO If I give it some more thought I think there are more than a few.

Not sure where to place RJJ at- as his last few years his physique turned quite regular. In his prime he was on his game.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Frank Bruno was obsessed in keeping in shape to this day.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

People like Ray Mercer always looked in shape, but alcohol was his nemesis- Michael Dokes another. no discipline to drink at least in moderation.
    Riddick Bowe another.

Guys who succumbed to drug binging in between like Johnny Tapia to Ray Leonard. I was shocked to find out at one point Tyson had ballooned up right before he was set to fight Holyfield. SO If I give it some more thought I think there are more than a few.

Not sure where to place RJJ at- as his last few years his physique turned quite regular. In his prime he was on his game.

Bingo.

Hatton was the poster child for ballooning up to twice his weight and then shedding it all before a fight. I'm sure he's not alone... but at that level, he's got to be in the minority because I truly believe most fighters at that level HAVE to stay in some sort of reasonable shape. I think Duran lived it up after the 1st SRL fight and was caught woefully out of shape before the "No Mas" fight.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Riddick Bowe another.

Bingo.

Hatton was the poster child for ballooning up to twice his weight and then shedding it all before a fight. I'm sure he's not alone... but at that level, he's got to be in the minority because I truly believe most fighters at that level HAVE to stay in some sort of reasonable shape. I think Duran lived it up after the 1st SRL fight and was caught woefully out of shape before the "No Mas" fight.
    Tyson Fury can get a bit out of shape when he is not fighting regularly.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Riddick Bowe another.

Bingo.

Tyson Fury can get a bit out of shape when he is not fighting regularly.

You're right. For some reason I tend to leave heavyweights off the list... but you've got Fury and you've got the poster child for the heavyweights................ Andy Ruiz Jr.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Naz comeback has never really and truly been quashed so I'm nominating him as the undisputed king of blowing up 'between fights'.

Carl Froch always stayed in great shape.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Talking of Ruiz. He's fighting Chris Areola isn't he? That could one awesome jiggle fest.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information