Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Alvarez sues DAZN, Golden Boy Promotions and Oscar De La Hoya

Saul ‘Canelo’ Álvarez is suing longtime promoter Oscar De La Hoya and streaming service DAZN over their alleged failure to deliver as promised on a $365m contract.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/7...ya-boxing-sue/

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Alvarez sues DAZN, Golden Boy Promotions and Oscar De La Hoya

I actually respect Canelo for this. DAZN made a dumb move with that contract. It was too long and too much money. Basically they couldn’t control who he fought well enough and kept rejecting certain opponents.

This isn’t like a sports league to where you know who you are playing. There are way too many factors for fighters because there are two sides and you aren’t always going to get who you want. And the pandemic really threw off the economics of boxing. That’s a risk you take when you contract someone for so long. You have no idea how it’s going to turn out.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DAZN made a stupid move, no doubt about that. The greed in boxing is only surpassed by the sheer stupidity of the people making the moves. And yes... the pandemic was an unpredictable circumstance that has thrown the proverbial monkey wrench into long-term contracts such as this one.

Yet not long ago, some of us were singing the praises of DAZN for refusing to knuckle under to Canelo and his protection agency, the WBC, for laughingly suggesting Canelo face Avni Yildirim for yet another meaningless trinket.

DAZN is the big loser in all of this. Damned if they do.... damned if they don't. Forced by the pandemic to almost be strong-armed by Canelo and his people to allow him to face whatever cadaver they put in front of him.

Is it DAZN's responsibility to get a deal worked out with the REAL, LIVE opponents that exist out there for Canelo?? Like the white elephant in the room??

No. So zero respect from this side....... and make of that what you will, since you obviously know why I don't like Canelo.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can’t fault Canelo for taking the deal. This is on DAZN. There should have been major stipulations in the contract for his fights. I remember when they first set the contract I had a lot of questions about it. Basically at this point, they are proving that the contract was completely ridiculous. It seemed to give Canelo anything that he wanted. Again, this is on DAZN.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No one faults Canelo for taking this deal.

If my place of employment offered me a long-term contract for multiples times what my work was worth, without any regards for future occurrences or developments..... I'd snatch it up faster than you could say "coddling."

DAZN behaved stupidly, and Canelo & Co. were only too happy to take advantage.

Of course it's on DAZN. No one is claiming otherwise.

It doesn't change the fact that Canelo & Co. have wanted to force cadavers down DAZN's collective throat.

In case you're wondering.... it makes no difference what nationality Canelo happens to be.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I bet Covid will have a big part to play in the outcome of all this, technically Canelo has DAZN by the balls here

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    No one faults Canelo for taking this deal.

If my place of employment offered me a long-term contract for multiples times what my work was worth, without any regards for future occurrences or developments..... I'd snatch it up faster than you could say "coddling."

DAZN behaved stupidly, and Canelo & Co. were only too happy to take advantage.

Of course it's on DAZN. No one is claiming otherwise.

It doesn't change the fact that Canelo & Co. have wanted to force cadavers down DAZN's collective throat.

In case you're wondering.... it makes no difference what nationality Canelo happens to be.
    The issue is that they are saying that Canelo wasn’t taking enough “premier” fights. The issue with that is that’s subjective. I guess DAZN is claiming that Jacobs and Kovalev weren’t “premier” fights but fighting Oscar in his comeback fight would be as well as fighting UFC fighters like Masvidal and Khabib.

Again, it’s all subjective so DAZN has no ground to stand on. It’s just a bad move to contract that many fights for that many years in boxing. It’s way too hard to make every fight a “premier” fight for the most part especially if you aren’t obviously an ATG like Pacquiao or Mayweather.

Thread Information