Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Rip Alan Minter

I just found out Alan Minter has passed away a fine fighter very sad indeed RIP Alan Minter.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default British boxing legend Alan Minter passes away at 69

UK boxing lost an icon today as the news filtered through that former two-belt middleweight champion Alan Minter had died. Minter succumbed to cancer at the age of 69. During his heyday, Minter won British, European, and world championships at 160 pounds. He traveled to Las Vegas to dethrone Vito Antuofermo in March 1980. He then repeated the win three months later. In the same year, just six months on from his most-famous win, Minter fought Marvin Hagler in what was a memorable bout. After being stopped in three rounds at Wembley Arena, British fans rioted as Minter was halted due to facial damage. Retiring in 1981, ‘Boom Boom’ will be fondly remembered. Minter ended his career with a 39-9 record. Tributes poured in via social media to the southpaw. Commentator Spencer Oliver said: “Just heard the very sad news that boxing legend Alan Minter has passed away. One of my childhood hero’s growing up, my thoughts and prays are with the minter family at this sad time.” British referee Marcus McDonnell added: “Just hearing sad news that Alan Minter has died after a long battle with cancer RIP Champ.” Irishman Gary ‘Spike’ O’Sullivan also commented. He stated: “Sad to hear of the passing of the great #AlanMinter former @WBCBoxing, European and British champion #RIP Champ.”

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rip

RIP

Not old enough to remember him as a fighter but him and Conteh were two names I remember as a kid when my dad and grandad talked boxing.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rip Alan Minter

I read his auto biography and it was a good read. He killed an Italian boxer during a European title fight from memory. Prone to cuts but a class southpaw boxer who had a British rivalry with Kevin Finnigan.

Former world middleweight champion Alan Minter has died aged 69, the British Boxing Board of Control has announced.

Crawley-born Minter won Olympic bronze at Munich in 1972 and went on to capture the British and European middleweight titles before he was granted his opportunity to fight on the world stage.

He claimed the WBC and WBA titles with a split decision win over Vito Antuofermo in March 1980 in Las Vegas but Minter’s reign lasted a matter of months as he was beaten by the great Marvin Hagler at Wembley Arena.

The Sussex southpaw ended his professional career the following year after being stopped inside three rounds by compatriot Tony Sibson, retiring with a record of 39 wins, nine defeats and one no-contest.

“The stewards and staff of the British Boxing Board of Control are very saddened to hear of the passing of former world middleweight champion Alan Minter,” a brief BBBoC statement said.

“Our sincerest condolences are sent to his family at this time.”

Minter earned his opportunity to face Antuofermo by winning eight fights in a row and the Briton was crowned world champion at Caesars Palace after a contentious points win in which the scorecards differed dramatically.

But he dealt with his Italian rival decisively in their June 1980 rematch at Wembley Arena, Antuofermo retiring after eight rounds due to cuts around his eyes.

Minter, nicknamed ‘Boom Boom’, was a national hero by this point and he returned to the London venue to face Hagler in September of that year, only to be over-matched against his American foe.

Minter was cut under both eyes and took a number of heavy shots en route to being stopped in the third round, after which Hagler went on to establish himself as one of the all-time great 160lb fighters.

Minter fought three more times after his bout with Hagler, outpointing Ernie Singletary before a split-decision defeat against Mustafa Hamsho was followed by another loss to Sibson in September 1981.

Former world heavyweight champion Frank Bruno led the tributes to Minter, writing on Twitter: “Alan Minter RIP.

“Alan and I worked together many times a great boxer in his day I would ask people to look at the old footage of him fighting a great boxer a sad day for British Boxing RIP ‘Boom Boom’.”

Former two-weight world champion Ricky Hatton added: “Just heard the very sad news that our boxing family has lost one of our own in former world champion Alan Minter.

“You’ll always be a British boxing legend and a gentleman Alan. My love and very best wishes go out to Ross and the whole Minter family at this time.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/for...162114072.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very sad when a boxing legend dies. I remember I was a kid and I worked in the local pub/nightclub that my mate’s Dad ran. Anyway he organised a bus trip to watch the Hagler fight. My mate went with his old Man and the rest of the regulars, so I had to work. After the event I was quite glad I never went.
    Firstly because he got battered, and secondly because they were right underneath all the chairs flying around after the fight because it was chaos after he got beat.
    Some people won’t like him for this, but didn’t he say “ I ain’t gonna lose to a Black man.” ?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Very sad when a boxing legend dies. I remember I was a kid and I worked in the local pub/nightclub that my mate’s Dad ran. Anyway he organised a bus trip to watch the Hagler fight. My mate went with his old Man and the rest of the regulars, so I had to work. After the event I was quite glad I never went.
    Firstly because he got battered, and secondly because they were right underneath all the chairs flying around after the fight because it was chaos after he got beat.
    Some people won’t like him for this, but didn’t he say “ I ain’t gonna lose to a Black man.” ?
    I think that wax the allegation made against him. The scenes were ugly when they threw bottles and cans at Hagler.

Minter did shake Hagler in that fight and I have never seen Marvin hurt like after that when he became champion.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I think that wax the allegation made against him. The scenes were ugly when they threw bottles and cans at Hagler.

Minter did shake Hagler in that fight and I have never seen Marvin hurt like after that when he became champion.
    They threw bottles and cans into the ring, but you couldn’t see on the telly the chairs flying around.
    And I loved Minter, but come on mate, he never shook Hagler.
    I had to go and watch it again after you said that, and it’s your usual bias towards Brits.
    Hearns hurt him more in round 1 for definite.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    I just found out Alan Minter has passed away a fine fighter very sad indeed RIP Alan Minter.

Where that's music coming from ? Internet playing up. Putting in youtube links that I don't know how it happened

There is a lot I could write about Minter but I'm not going to go there.

All I say against Hagler, Minter put on one of the all time great human punching bag performances maybe since the legendary Joe Grim but even with that one of the judges had 3 round to 0 up.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fine fighter Alan, I remember watching him on SUPERSTARS.
    He was so much stronger with his left hand that in the canoe race he ended up in some trees lol.

R.I.P Champ.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They threw bottles and cans into the ring, but you couldn’t see on the telly the chairs flying around.
    I had to go and watch it again after you said that, and it’s your usual bias towards Brits.
    It was based on memory and I am sure Alan mentioned it in his book which was why I brought it up. I will watch it again and maybe it is a stumble.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Denilson3.0 View Post

There is a lot I could write about Minter but I'm not going to go there.
    I wish you would. Rather than a pathetic 'I'm glad someone's dead' post accompanied with a tune. Use your big boy words and say what you've got to say.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is what he's too scared to mention, Infact I'm surprised Master has the time of day for a Minter post as Minter was know to have ties to and support the National Front.

"And this is where the conquest took a racially charged turn. Right-wing racist groups, personified by the National Front (NF), were gaining traction in English society in the late 1970s and early 1980s. "Paki bashing" and "nigger knocking" were national sports. All over London – especially South London, where I lived at the time – the walls of buildings and properties were daubed with "NF" graffiti and propaganda posters urging forced repatriation of immigrants from countries once under the fold of the defunct British Empire. Asked at the time about his upcoming bout with Hagler, Minter became an unofficial poster boy for white English racism when he told the attendant media: "It has taken me 17 years to become champion of the world. I'm not going to let a black man take it away from me."

http://m.fightland.vice.com/blog/the...-on-the-canvas

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was in the 2nd round and more of a stumble but seem to get Alan Minter going and be very aggressive.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A straight left by Minter in the 1st or 2nd right on the button definitely buzzed him a bit.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was in the 2nd round and more of a stumble but seem to get Alan Minter going and be very aggressive.
    Mate, he chased after him, missed with everything and got hit with 3 big shots into the bargain.

Thread Information