Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rip Alan Minter

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Very sad when a boxing legend dies. I remember I was a kid and I worked in the local pub/nightclub that my mate’s Dad ran. Anyway he organised a bus trip to watch the Hagler fight. My mate went with his old Man and the rest of the regulars, so I had to work. After the event I was quite glad I never went.
    Firstly because he got battered, and secondly because they were right underneath all the chairs flying around after the fight because it was chaos after he got beat.
    Some people won’t like him for this, but didn’t he say “ I ain’t gonna lose to a Black man.” ?
    I think that wax the allegation made against him. The scenes were ugly when they threw bottles and cans at Hagler.

Minter did shake Hagler in that fight and I have never seen Marvin hurt like after that when he became champion.
    They threw bottles and cans into the ring, but you couldn’t see on the telly the chairs flying around.
    And I loved Minter, but come on mate, he never shook Hagler.
    I had to go and watch it again after you said that, and it’s your usual bias towards Brits.
    Hearns hurt him more in round 1 for definite.
    It was in the 2nd round and more of a stumble but seem to get Alan Minter going and be very aggressive.
    Mate, he chased after him, missed with everything and got hit with 3 big shots into the bargain.
    Thought he won the round.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very sad when a boxing legend dies. I remember I was a kid and I worked in the local pub/nightclub that my mate’s Dad ran. Anyway he organised a bus trip to watch the Hagler fight. My mate went with his old Man and the rest of the regulars, so I had to work. After the event I was quite glad I never went.
    Firstly because he got battered, and secondly because they were right underneath all the chairs flying around after the fight because it was chaos after he got beat.
    Some people won’t like him for this, but didn’t he say “ I ain’t gonna lose to a Black man.” ?
    I think that wax the allegation made against him. The scenes were ugly when they threw bottles and cans at Hagler.

Minter did shake Hagler in that fight and I have never seen Marvin hurt like after that when he became champion.
    They threw bottles and cans into the ring, but you couldn’t see on the telly the chairs flying around.
    I had to go and watch it again after you said that, and it’s your usual bias towards Brits.
    It was in the 2nd round and more of a stumble but seem to get Alan Minter going and be very aggressive.
    Mate, he chased after him, missed with everything and got hit with 3 big shots into the bargain.
    Minter won it, or at worst it was even

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post

What? The round or the fight?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The round.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The round.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The round.
    why would anybody care what YOU think?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The round.
    Fair comment. Except if you didn’t care, you wouldn’t go to the trouble of posting to say you don’t care, would you?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The round.
    Fair comment. Except if you didn’t care, you wouldn’t go to the trouble of posting to say you don’t care, would you?
    Weak. Very weak. That one didn't do the job at all. You're slipping.

Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    This is what he's too scared to mention, Infact I'm surprised Master has the time of day for a Minter post as Minter was know to have ties to and support the National Front.

"And this is where the conquest took a racially charged turn. Right-wing racist groups, personified by the National Front (NF), were gaining traction in English society in the late 1970s and early 1980s. "Paki bashing" and "nigger knocking" were national sports. All over London – especially South London, where I lived at the time – the walls of buildings and properties were daubed with "NF" graffiti and propaganda posters urging forced repatriation of immigrants from countries once under the fold of the defunct British Empire. Asked at the time about his upcoming bout with Hagler, Minter became an unofficial poster boy for white English racism when he told the attendant media: "It has taken me 17 years to become champion of the world. I'm not going to let a black man take it away from me."

http://m.fightland.vice.com/blog/the...-on-the-canvas
    Why are you surprised? You have always insisted that Master is a racist. Why does Minter's supposed tenuous ties to the NF not bother you then? You can't have it both ways. Are you finally admitting that you are pretty comfortable with the company of racists but not anyone who points that out to you?
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why would anyone care what Sime-Sime thinks? Fuck him. If he does one more line of coke, his eyes will look even blacker and sink even farther back into his head. Brain cancer, looks like really.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why would anyone care what Sime-Sime thinks? Fuck him. If he does one more line of coke, his eyes will look even blacker and sink even farther back into his head. Brain cancer, looks like really.
    Not very nice. #bekind

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    I just found out Alan Minter has passed away a fine fighter very sad indeed RIP Alan Minter.
    The racist prick who Marvin Hagler had to beat half to death?
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    I just found out Alan Minter has passed away a fine fighter very sad indeed RIP Alan Minter.
    The racist prick who Marvin Hagler had to beat half to death?
    In the book I read about Alan Minter he did apologise for his comment.
    Last edited by Master; 09-14-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's no condoning what Minter said and I wouldn't try. Regardless of the meaning, the context. Genuine racism? Over the top promotion? Probably a bit of both.

People were more racist in the 70's and 80's. More openly racist anyway, or said more openly racist things. It's interesting that we judge what people said back then with the standards we apply today. Racism is racism, regardless of time or place but you can't ignore the setting.

I wonder if when Hopkins pops his clogs, a thread on his passing will be punctuated with remarks of what a vile racist he was. Probably not. Hopkins remarks were the next days chip paper. Minters have followed him for 40 years.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    There's no condoning what Minter said and I wouldn't try. Regardless of the meaning, the context. Genuine racism? Over the top promotion? Probably a bit of both.

People were more racist in the 70's and 80's. More openly racist anyway, or said more openly racist things. It's interesting that we judge what people said back then with the standards we apply today. Racism is racism, regardless of time or place but you can't ignore the setting.

I wonder if when Hopkins pops his clogs, a thread on his passing will be punctuated with remarks of what a vile racist he was. Probably not. Hopkins remarks were the next days chip paper. Minters have followed him for 40 years.
    Some people have problems with what Ali said in the 60's or even Holmes about Rocky. I am sure there will be people who will have a problem with Hopkins and AJ.

Thread Information