Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default When this doo doo finally ends

I spent a lot of time on the road today doing some visits. I found a cool radio station that try’s to analyze what’s going on without taking a political side. It’s kinda cool. Different than everyone shouting each other down. Well, they had this economist on who has been so for 40-50 years. He was talking about some interesting things debt to gdp in historical times and events. He was talking about the pandemic of 1968 and a number of other things I’m not very familiar with. Anyway the main reason I bring it up is he said he always thought the economic boom called “the roaring twenties” was a result of ww1 ending. He said going back to the documents makes him see the roaring twenties were in large part brought about by the end of the pandemic of that era. He said people were so tired of being cooped up and the massive loss of life etc they just went into celebratory mode and in so created an economic boom. He was then suggesting we could see something similar when covid is resolved. He wasn’t predicting or anything just laying out scenarios. I’m sure many could poke holes in that theory, I could myself but I could understand why it might happen. It was an interesting concept, it would be good to see something positive come out of this. It certainly wouldn’t wipe away the negative but if it did something to alleviate some of the economic suffering that would be cool. These things aren’t written in stone and I’m not trying to present it as it is. Just passing along an interesting talk I heard, not passing judgement on it as I can’t tell the future just found it an interesting discussion.

He also pointed out all these politicians on both sides writing these checks aren’t the ones who will have to pay back. Trump, Nancy, Schumer, Mitch none of them will be around. I guess that might make it easier to drop of few trillion when you know you don’t have to worry about the cleanup. Interesting times in which we live. This is a major event. In ten years or so it will be interesting to look back and discuss how we handled ourselves during these times, politicians as well.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: When this doo doo finally ends

People will have money in their pockets as they have spent less not going outside and holidays. So could see a boom in the economy but before that I think tax rises will have to pay for the investment already made to keep the economy and businesses alive.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

unfortunately, its never going to ~end~. As Ive said since Feb, this has permanently changed things.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    unfortunately, its never going to ~end~. As Ive said since Feb, this has permanently changed things.
    You’ve been saying that since February? We’ll have to take your word for it seeing as you only came back on here in April!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    You’ve been saying that since February? We’ll have to take your word for it seeing as you only came back on here in April!
    Great attention to detail! You get a gold star! Ive been saying it since Feb, yep, when it started hitting New York City. And why would anybody care if you took my word for it or not, stronzo?
    Last edited by NoSavingByTheBell; 09-12-2020 at 12:11 AM.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd be interested in knowing his name, maybe Iheart radio has him for anyone to listen to?

I thought the roaring 20s was a combination of things. One is the result of commoners receiving what only the wealthy had access to: credit across the board. While there were independent business that allotted loans for their merchandise as far back as the 1700s, nothing that allowed common people to acquire credit on various good & services until laws allowing interest rates for companies to benefit from (1917-1920ish?) Add on the stock market boom coincidentally same timeframe-, it seems for the 1st time in American history, a person no longer needed cash to purchase.

IMO most important: add on the upstart of so many businesses that mass produced which provided jobs across various industries be it Sears Roebuck, J.C. Penny, GM, Ford, food distributors meaning there was reason to allow loans for a demographic once denied such privileges. Jobs were booming in industry/mass production coupled by a boon in ingenuity that led to mass creation of products. 1920 & on; it became common for electrical use in homes, thus giving all the more reason purchasing increased.

excerpt: The 1920s marked a decade of increasing conveniences that were made available to the middle class. New products made chores around the home easier and resulted in increased leisure time. Products that had once been too expensive were suddenly affordable due to new forms of financing that made it possible for families to spend beyond more existing means.

For the first time it became possible for Americans to buy on credit through the credo of ‘buy now, pay later’ practices that ushered in the Roaring Twenties. Generous lines of credit were offered by department stores for families who were not able to pay upfront
    (up to my mom's generation, she bought on layaway) It was how we got our first floor model color TV aka Curtis Mathis

(1920-1929 ) rags to riches, not rags to middle class. Wealth via credit, not hard money, so when credit dried up...

While I concur that the end of WWI brought about a change/uptick in Americans spending, the means in which they had to spend is what I would like to learn of this guy/person's take. Plus I'd like to learn a bit more about GDP itself. In other words, if we went out and spend, how many of us would spend our currency versus how many of us would do so based on our credit? Or...does it matter?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@SlimTrae yeah I wish I did have the guys name. I’d like to follow up myself. I guess that’s the negative part of listening to talk radio in the car making frequent stops. You pick up some interesting information but only bits and pieces. Influenza of the era killed more people than the war itself did. I have read one reason the war ended was the large amount of sickness and death from the pandemic of the era. Then he started talking about pandemics in 1957 and the late 1960’s. Something I just started reading up on. The pandemic of the late 50’s got very little attention in the press as the news was all about Russia and space. I had a similar issue today, there was a recent article in the NYT discussing some issues with the the amount of virus triggering positive tests. Apparently it was quite controversial as the guest was arguing it should have been on the front page and picked up by every media outlet as it was a good piece of investigational journalism that wasn’t politicized but once again I’m trying to pick up this news as I’m driving around making stops. It’s annoying as now I want to know what the article said but what do I do? Google covid article in NYT? Where will that get me?

So anyway as far as the roaring twenties being brought about by people getting back to normal at the end of a pandemic, the end of the war, both, I guess you can find a bunch of different theories. It’s hard to put ourselves in the mindset of others. Shit I work with some young people who were just kids around 9/11 and they ask me how it changed things. I did a little talk on it not even realizing it’s been 19 years now and I’m talking to some 22 year olds. I had to stop myself and reset.

Later I had a talk with my director, his uncle just passed. His uncle lives in Scotland he had two negative Covid tests in the hospital a few weeks prior to his death, his family got the death certificate and it lists cause of death as Covid. He isn’t accusing anyone of anything they are just trying to figure out wtf is going on. I then asked him if it’s denial and rationalization that keeps us sane as we walk around knowing death is coming. Just wanted his opinion, I think he’s still thinking about it.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great attention to detail! You get a gold star! Ive been saying it since Feb, yep, when it started hitting New York City. And why would anybody care if you took my word for it or not, stronzo?
    chillaxo relaxo , little guy. I notice lately you’ve been getting very tetchy, not getting much sleep, hey?
    And I don’t know why you keep using the “who cares what you think” line.
    I merely said we’ll have to take your word for it. You seem very stressed.
    L’incornuto.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVI...w_York_(state)

And now we know why you are so tetchy!
    For those of you who can’t be bothered to open the link, and I don’t blame you, I’ll give you all details you need.
    1. Figures show that The first officially registered case of Covid in New York was on 1st MARCH!
    2. the first Death was 31st MARCH
    Man, you REALLY ARE NOSTRADAMUS !
    can you do me a favour, can you tell me the winner of the 3.15pm tomorrow at Kempton Park?
    I think in a previous post , you claim at a similar time, you started advocating the compulsory use of face masks.
    Man, you really are a pioneer aren’t you?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LIARS are great aren’t they? Especially when they are found out!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

“pants are on fire!” ;d;d

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LIARS are great aren’t they? Especially when they are found out!
    Ha! Scimunito, I can’t help imagining how much awesomer the world would be if your dad had just pulled out of your mom.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can tell you no shit there are people who hope this never ends. I know three off hand who think this is the best thing that ever happened. They are holed up, either on SSDI or taking in more money now than they have in a long time. One still lives at home with his parents and he actually tells me he isn’t working because his parents have diabetes he wants to keep them safe mind you both his parents work. This has given him the excuse to do what he always wanted to do. Which is nothing. I have two other similar cases. One end of worlder and another using it as an excuse to withdraw more from the world. Some also enjoy the suffering of others. I mean I’m not reading about this shit I see it. It’s 100% real I’m not saying there are a lot of them but they are out there

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

****MORE MASKLESS AMERICUNTS*** (IT IS THE AMERICUNTS WHO , MASKLESS , MAKE SURE THIS NEVER ENDS!)

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/anti-...153558337.html

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I can tell you no shit there are people who hope this never ends. I know three off hand who think this is the best thing that ever happened. They are holed up, either on SSDI or taking in more money now than they have in a long time. One still lives at home with his parents and he actually tells me he isn’t working because his parents have diabetes he wants to keep them safe mind you both his parents work. This has given him the excuse to do what he always wanted to do. Which is nothing. I have two other similar cases. One end of worlder and another using it as an excuse to withdraw more from the world. Some also enjoy the suffering of others. I mean I’m not reading about this shit I see it. It’s 100% real I’m not saying there are a lot of them but they are out there
    Opportunists who use bad shit to gain for themselves. I got a friend in Akron that kept asking me why don't I check on stimulus as they know some who got thousands and some who quit their job for it. Pathetic.

I'm still not sure where I place mainstream media at. Actually I think talk show hosts like Colbert & the likes are more respected by the masses -and they keep deriding the POTUS, attacking his supporters questioning their gatherings, but not the protests. Oh, I see the hypocrisy on the left and would be guilty if I didn't point it out.
    I just wish there was someone on the left that can do what Chris Wallace does; he is no respecter of Democrats, but he points out what he sees in error on his side.

It is safe to say most on television are rooting for corona to stay in the headlines for fear if asked what policies will they implement if Dems wins presidency and sweep both houses- they will have nothing to offer. Is the word for that obfuscate?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information