Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Timeless Classics from Long Ago

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Archie Moore was a top trainer after he retired from boxing so Rocky did not cause that much damage.
    Correct. I was watching a bit of an old Joe Louis talk while watching this and mixed up the two. Truth be told I can't say I remember how Archie Moore talked, only watched his fights not interviews.
    But that 9th round, I just watched it again, my lord Archie was in the frying pan with the heat turned up, grease poppin!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Archie Moore was a top trainer after he retired from boxing so Rocky did not cause that much damage.
    Correct. I was watching a bit of an old Joe Louis talk while watching this and mixed up the two. Truth be told I can't say I remember how Archie Moore talked, only watched his fights not interviews.
    But that 9th round, I just watched it again, my lord Archie was in the frying pan with the heat turned up, grease poppin!
    Marciano with both barrels blazing is a thing of awe to watch. He threw 770 punches in 8 rounds in that fight, then in 1 + minute of the 9th and final round he threw 46 punches.

46 punches in 1 minute 19 seconds of the 9th round

Archie Moore said "Marciano just had way more stamina than anybody else in those days."

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Marciano with both barrels blazing is a thing of awe to watch. He threw 770 punches in 8 rounds in that fight, then in 1 + minute of the 9th and final round he threw 46 punches.

Archie Moore said "Marciano just had way more stamina than anybody else in those days."
    And he turns those shots over, full velocity. I wonder if he fought today would refs call him out for ducking below the waistline, he really got under a lot of punches.
    Plus some years ago I use to look at that looping overhand as a flailing haymaker. Now I see how he positioned himself. If a fighter is in the wrong place, that was a very accurate punch to the temple.

I sure hope they do more of his fights in color.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And he turns those shots over, full velocity. I wonder if he fought today would refs call him out for ducking below the waistline, he really got under a lot of punches.
    Plus some years ago I use to look at that looping overhand as a flailing haymaker. Now I see how he positioned himself. If a fighter is in the wrong place, that was a very accurate punch to the temple.

I sure hope they do more of his fights in color.
    Shit, thats a great observation. He DID turn all those punches over, and also on those left uppercut/hook punches he throws ---just amazing power coming up from the floor. I think he WOULD get warned for ducking so low, definitely. But Im sure he could cut it back just enough to get the job done.

Archie Moore said: "After the fight I asked Rocky how the hell he was landing all those rights on me. Nobody hits me with a right like that."

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen a few edits of Clay vs Jones, but this one really highlights his combinations, laser jab and a left hook that couldn't miss.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weird fight, weird pre-fight occurrence, Marciano had the flu the week before, .... punches didnt have the same steam, fighting a heavier guy, a skilled guy....

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, so "long ago" is pretty much 50's and before

My own initial entry would be Duran-Leonard I. Not as old, but now just over 40 years ago. I'd say that classifies as "long ago."

Now THAT..... is a timeless classic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know I have a bit of knowledge of the old legendary fighters, but have rarely actually watched old old fights or fight footage!
    Should change that. Thanks everyone who posted videos here. I'm gonna work my way through them

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, here's sumpin' a lil' closer to present-day , a real fucking barn-burner if you will, doesnt get much better than this:

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I say to this day, Marvin ruined Mugabi. His punch resistance was never the same after this bout.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I say to this day, Marvin ruined Mugabi. His punch resistance was never the same after this bout.
    Definitely ruined Mugabe, but Hagler took a pounding and some have said HE was never quite the same after that either. Haglers face at the end was really fucked up.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Definitely ruined Mugabe, but Hagler took a pounding and some have said HE was never quite the same after that either. Haglers face at the end was really fucked up.

Well.... given that the only fight after Mugabi was Leonard, it's tough to make that assessment. And yet Hagler went in completely wrong against Leonard. Maybe he was still feeling the psychological effects from the Mugabi war and was a bit too tentative with Leonard. Tough one to call.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Well.... given that the only fight after Mugabi was Leonard, it's tough to make that assessment. And yet Hagler went in completely wrong against Leonard. Maybe he was still feeling the psychological effects from the Mugabi war and was a bit too tentative with Leonard. Tough one to call.
    True. There was only one more fight after that. Definitely not enough time to assess any long-term effects from Mugabe. I wonder if it had anything to do with him retiring after the Leonard fight. His face was rather disfigured after the Mugabe fight. Never saw his face look like that before. And I just cannot understand the way he fought Leonard. You'd think after a bitter defeat like that that Hagler would want to go out on a winning note.

So yeah, good point there. if he had fought a few more fights it would be more clear if the Mugabe fight had really affected him in a strong and negative way.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THX! I never knew the effects Marvin suffered. I'd have to accept that was the kind of fight where both fighters leave something in the ring they can never get back.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THX! I never knew the effects Marvin suffered. I'd have to accept that was the kind of fight where both fighters leave something in the ring they can never get back.
    I guess we can't really be sure as it was pointed out that he only fought one more time after that. Not enough time really to see how it affected him physically. Although his performance against Leonard is quite suspect but not sure if we can base it on that alone.

I just can't get over Marvin hagler's face at the end of the fight. My God he is almost unrecognizable. If that fight had gone another five rounds I think his eyes would have swollen shut.

Thread Information