59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Erickson Lubin v Terrell Gausha on Showtime

Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Ennis turning it up in 5th jarring Abreu and lands hard on the beltline, Abreu looks for a time out and ref says keep fighting. In turn Abreu hits Ennis in his Ennis Jr and both warned. Ennis walking in behind high shoulder guard and landing left hooks..and down he goes. Abreu flat and up at 8! Abreu not long for this. Beautiful inside right uppercut counter got the KD, very fluid
    thats how steve forbes knocked out julio sanchez leon.

a while ago it used to be that, if you missed a right hand, you'd bring your right arm across your face, sort of like a face bar, so you could catch that counter in palm of your right glove.

if you watch all the old fights you will see guys doing that often. i think it might have something to do with how fighters used to throw that counter more often. it is nice to see someone that can still do that today, even if no one else knows how to keep from getting hit by it today.
    fucking awesome example of Marciano getting his right arm in front of his face after missing, he missed so many fucking right hands, you KNOW he woulda been KOed if he didnt have that great defensive tactic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    fucking awesome example of Marciano getting his right arm in front of his face after missing, he missed so many fucking right hands, you KNOW he woulda been KOed if he didnt have that great defensive tactic.
    i like rocky marciano too.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Yuzo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Right. Another clip where the counter takes a month to arrive.

Hey no issues. I stand by my opinion. Instead of saying Sanchez had enough time to get his right hand under his chin... I prefer to commend Forbes for a picture-perfect right uppercut counter.

Sanchez was perfectly placed (for Forbes) at the end of his punch... he had committed... and hadn't even brought his right hand all the way back when Forbes connected.

Every other video you've posted the opponent was either walking straight back, or took their time throwing their own counter. Of course the arm-across-the-chin defense will work.

Most of the time I agree with your technical breakdowns, but this time I don't. No big deal.
    you might be right. but when you miss a right hand, there is a moment for your arm to recoil back and stop that counter, and thats good, because that takes just a moment to do.

when abreu got hit, i thought he probably ought to have caught that right uppercut.

the shoulder roll is your cue here that when you miss, that counter may be coming back at you. its a good precaution if it doesnt, and it stops you from getting hit by it if it does.

I wish the Forbes and Ennis video clips were at the same speed... but still, I noticed some differences that I think were key.

When Forbes rolls his shoulder, his right hand is cocked and in position. Without windup, he throws it perfectly timed.... preventing Sanchez to have any time to bring his right hand back into a defensive position.

When Ennis rolls his, he goes into a windup motion with his right hand. Yes.... you're absolutely right. Abreu could've definitely used better defensive technique to catch that right uppercut. He certainly had the time.

Abreu also lost positioning of his feet a lot more than Sanchez did, falling into Ennis and being woefully vulnerable for that right hand upper.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man! Those uppercuts are brutal punches.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I wish the Forbes and Ennis video clips were at the same speed... but still, I noticed some differences that I think were key.

When Forbes rolls his shoulder, his right hand is cocked and in position. Without windup, he throws it perfectly timed.... preventing Sanchez to have any time to bring his right hand back into a defensive position.

When Ennis rolls his, he goes into a windup motion with his right hand. Yes.... you're absolutely right. Abreu could've definitely used better defensive technique to catch that right uppercut. He certainly had the time.

Abreu also lost positioning of his feet a lot more than Sanchez did, falling into Ennis and being woefully vulnerable for that right hand upper.
    you are right. every case is different.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I went back one page in this thread and read with great interest The exchange between Tito and Yuzo... I watched the clips again, and in that knockout uppercut punch, I think the guy started his uppercut while the other guy's right hand was still being thrown and that is why he was able to land it before the other guy could bring his right hand up to his face to try to block

It looks like he had a split second of a head start on throwing his uppercut. I think that uppercut was not completely calculated.

But the uppercut was almost hitting its Target at the time the other guy should have been bringing his right hand back up to his chin in defense

But I do agree that the other guy did not really seem to make an effort at the last moment to bring his hand back up to his chin to protect himself

Unfortunately though the punch had started earlier than a normal counterpunch. I don't know if that's just luck or what but definitely the uppercut started a little bit earlier than the other videos

As far as Marciano not throwing that right hand with much conviction.... Marciano was a master at distance. Archie Moore had probably moved just ever so slightly out of Marciano's reach and Marciano had detected that very quickly and therefore he pulled up on that right hand. It was definitely not thrown with any conviction and looked like halfway through he bailed out on it

You know why? because in the second round of that fight he missed a right hand that he was out of range to be throwing in the first place and it resulted in him getting tagged really hard right on the button and going down for only the second time in his career

Marciano would not make that same mistake twice against somebody like Archie Moore
    Last edited by NoSavingByTheBell; 09-23-2020 at 04:58 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Precisely. Marciano in that clip seemed to detect Moore had moved away mid-punch, and made the smart adjustment of bailing on the punch and bringing his glove beneath his chin instead. It showed amazing ring awareness in the split seconds that determine the punches that land and those that miss.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

here's another right hand that he bailed out on, but not quite as much:

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All this talk of awesome uppercuts and love the clips but thought of Bailey sending Mike Jones into total anonymity right off . Def more of a straight back but Bailey was well planted for Jones to run right onto it. Head went low and level with his lead as he tried to get it back and Bailey almost tucked his forehead in his back pocket for him.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

damn

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)