Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Netflix's "The Social Dilemma"

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Tits don’t know if you have heard about “internet 2.0”. The British dude involved in the creation of the internet and others are leading the way with its creation. The content will be run on the blockchain which would make it difficult for a couple companies to take it over and monetize it. It could create social media controlled by the people rather than an entity. How much this would help the issues presented in the documentary I’m not sure but it would decentralize things. It’s like really in depth I’m sure you have stumbled across articles about it. It is more meant to counter the monetization and controlled flow of information over the web. Really a handful of billionaires and companies currently control access to information which is completely counter to the internet’s intent. In many cases our opinions and behaviors are altered by these people and companies. It’s an interesting thought, don't think it’s a cure all but it would address part of the problem.

TBH I've heard some... but don't know that much about it. From the sounds of it, seems like a worthy endeavor. Gotta wonder though, about the success of it, and whether it'll end up being just another corruptly-run enterprise.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Netflix's "The Social Dilemma"

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Tits don’t know if you have heard about “internet 2.0”. The British dude involved in the creation of the internet and others are leading the way with its creation. The content will be run on the blockchain which would make it difficult for a couple companies to take it over and monetize it. It could create social media controlled by the people rather than an entity. How much this would help the issues presented in the documentary I’m not sure but it would decentralize things. It’s like really in depth I’m sure you have stumbled across articles about it. It is more meant to counter the monetization and controlled flow of information over the web. Really a handful of billionaires and companies currently control access to information which is completely counter to the internet’s intent. In many cases our opinions and behaviors are altered by these people and companies. It’s an interesting thought, don't think it’s a cure all but it would address part of the problem.

TBH I've heard some... but don't know that much about it. From the sounds of it, seems like a worthy endeavor. Gotta wonder though, about the success of it, and whether it'll end up being just another corruptly-run enterprise.
    Well it’s a very broad discussion anyway and it goes beyond many aspects of the documentary especially regarding content but I read up on blockchain for my foray into crypto currencies and it is quite amazing. I can’t give you off hand the market cap of bitcoin bit I know it’s around 11k a coin with a max supply (which we haven’t hit yet) of 21 million coins so we are talking about a massive sum of money that as of yet as not been hacked despite many state and private actors trying. Now the exchanges have been hacked. But they are not part of “the blockchain” so to speak. So that tech behind bitcoin is being used by ibm and other companies to create more secure operations for companies. So in theory new social media platforms could be created that are decentralized and run by the participants. This would effect ownership of data giving it back to the people but the end product could still be corruptible as we see with exchanges of crypto currency. It really is a difficult topic for a non tech guy. Like they say a little knowledge can be dangerous. I have some friends who work in IT, they veered off into blockchain as they “fell in love with it”. They actually use it and build on it they will explain some things to me, some of which I grasp, others they might as well be talking Aramaic.

My wife is in engineer I will ask her for clarification but none of the projects she is involved in use this tech so her company is not providing training etc in it. Turns out the tech behind bitcoin is worth much more than bitcoin yet it was released open source to the world. Yet I use iPhones personally my job provides Samsung with android and that in itself is enough to puzzle me. Ya I’m an Apple guy but I’m not one of those “Samsung sucks” people. I figure they must be good if that many people own them it’s just a different os which I’m not used to. Anyway I’m sure there are members here who are involved in the tech field and understand this shit more than we. Certainly what we are talking about now will have changed extensively two years from now. As the documentary stated computing power is evolving while our brains aren’t. How many inventions and advances don’t have a bad side? I’m sure there are some.

Thread Information