Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default George Foreman Documentary

Fan film on arguably the most unlikely comeback ever in sports.

Details of Foreman's career that aren't commonly discussed;

Foreman has said he was hurt by Ali's punches in the rumble in the jungle, he has also gone on record saying Ali's punches didn't hurt, so he has contradicted himself.

When Foreman lost to Jimmy Young, Young fought as much like a soccer player as a boxer. He initiated several clinches so that he could create distance between him and George, then after initiating the clinches he would complain to the ref that Foreman was skirting the rules.

Foreman almost flew off the deep end after the loss to Jimmy Young. Friends and family were concerned about his mental health. His publicist said he was "off his rocker" which is quite an unusual thing for a publicist to say.

At around 320 pounds and after 10 years of no boxing training, Foreman called out prime Mike Tyson (I'm sure most know that but it's still amusing).

Michael Moorer fought like a tactical dunce against Foreman, seemingly caught in two minds as to what was the best strategy to employ.

If you look at some of Gil Clancy's quotes during the fight;

"I'm surprised Moorer isn't moving there he's fencing with George"

"Again Moorer is fencing with a bigger man"

"Moorer needs to counter more or take risks with his left hand, George has taken more risks with his right hand than Moorer has with his left"

Lampley:

"I think he thinks he's gonna knock him out and he's gonna do it by standing right in front of him"

"I think he thinks he's taken Foreman's power and it's not gonna hurt him, that could be a big mistake"

Drawing a diagram from those words it's not that unlikely that the way the fight played out Foreman managed to land a big punch though it was unlikely.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: George Foreman Documentary

I think we have concluded on here that a combination of young George Foreman with his physicality and the experienced/mature Big George Foreman in his comeback would have made the perfect Heavyweight boxer.

Foreman was influenced by Liston in terms of creating an angry sullen image for himself as he wanted to intimidate his opponents. He regretted doing that and said he should have been happier and enjoyed his early career.

I do not think George really forgave Ali for making him look a fool which is why he contradicts himself about that huge fight.

Foreman found god when he lost his fight and someone reported it was because he was dehydrated and hallucinatic.

Some people on here believe that he would have beaten Tyson but I don't. Even a post Buster Douglas Mike Tyson would have beaten this old Foreman.

Moorer was winning every round against George but got stupid to get knocked out by him.

This older Foreman did not fight real dangerous fighters like Lennox or Bowe but chose his opponent's who he thought he would win.

Never liked this version of Big George.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Foreman is amazing. Just watched about 5 Liston fights last night and George def took Liston's "baleful stare" as Cosell put it. Scary shit. Always wanted a Foreman/Ali rematch with a calmer more patient Foreman who would use that telephone pole jab more often on Ali's face. George shoulda been throwing 30 jabs a round, pop pop pop, bang bang bang, ....

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have actually just watched the one on sky documentaries which was excellent. A lot of stuff I didn't know.

Will give this one a watch at some point.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Lol Foreman was to my knowledge the first fat heavyweight champion.

There were guys before who had fought a bit out of shape such as Ali at certain points and Larry Holmes but none had the girth of Foreman.

I just finished reading a book on Rocky Marciano, apparently his trainers were giving him a hard time about keeping his meals small and not over eating.

It seems in those days they thought it was important for a heavyweight to be lean.

Nowadays you have crazy stuff like Andy Ruiz beating Joshua, it’s hard to get your head around when you see them side by side but I guess they say don’t judge a book by its cover.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart___ View Post

There were guys before who had fought a bit out of shape such as Ali at certain points and Larry Holmes but none had the girth of Foreman.

I just finished reading a book on Rocky Marciano, apparently his trainers were giving him a hard time about keeping his meals small and not over eating.

It seems in those days they thought it was important for a heavyweight to be lean.

Nowadays you have crazy stuff like Andy Ruiz beating Joshua, it’s hard to get your head around when you see them side by side but I guess they say don’t judge a book by its cover.
    Marciano got caught in several different training camps sneaking downstairs into the kitchen to get a snack at 1:00 a.m. and another time he got caught with bananas under his pillow

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So you have not heard of 2 ton Tony Galento.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watching the documentary and Foreman was not a nice guy after the Ali defeat. He was starting fights with opponents after he beat them, their corner men and even his own. Real horrible person. In his rematch fight with Frazier he was booed by the crowd.

Never knew he became that unpopular.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Watching the documentary and Foreman was not a nice guy after the Ali defeat. He was starting fights with opponents after he beat them, their corner men and even his own. Real horrible person. In his rematch fight with Frazier he was booed by the crowd.

Never knew he became that unpopular.
    Yes, he became very disliked. I remember he was booed against Lyle, Frazier 2, Jimmy Young, .... And he knew they hated him....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

So you have not heard of 2 ton Tony Galento.
    I’d heard the name buy I couldn’t put a face to it, just looked him up on google images, looks like he was built like a tank.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also noticed in the documentary, which I did not realise, how much Ali was trying to promote the 2nd fight. No way was he trying to avoid Foreman.

Thread Information