Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larry Holmes fought bums for the most of it.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Larry Holmes fought bums for the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Larry Holmes is one of those fighters to whom I give grudging respect (very grudging). There's no denying his ability nor his greatness... but boy did I ever root for him to lose every time out. He was such an insufferable whiner. He wasn't given enough respect... Marciano couldn't carry his jock (didn't he say that?)... wah, wah wah! He should've never gotten in the ring with Ali... and I was oh so happy when he got destroyed by Tyson.
    There must be some bit of you that was happy when he beat the undefeated Ray Mercer and cause that big upset. Larry was in tears that night because he got some respect for out smarting the Olympic gold medallist who had recently destroyed Tommy Morrison. It was emotional.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Larry Holmes is one of those fighters to whom I give grudging respect (very grudging). There's no denying his ability nor his greatness... but boy did I ever root for him to lose every time out. He was such an insufferable whiner. He wasn't given enough respect... Marciano couldn't carry his jock (didn't he say that?)... wah, wah wah! He should've never gotten in the ring with Ali... and I was oh so happy when he got destroyed by Tyson.
    There must be some bit of you that was happy when he beat the undefeated Ray Mercer and cause that big upset. Larry was in tears that night because he got some respect for out smarting the Olympic gold medallist who had recently destroyed Tommy Morrison. It was emotional.

I must've blocked that one out of my mind.

Nah... again... I give Larry the respect he deserves. He was also unlucky to come in after Ali and before Tyson... two formidable bookends to his own career.

The best (or more exciting) fight of his career, IMO, was definitely his war with Ken Norton. That was one of those classics.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A great Champion is one who can get off the canvas and win. Holmes has done that. On the other hand he did fight a ton of bums who shouldn't even got a title shot. Great fighter in a bad era.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep. He had some chin. Maybe better than Ali's. I wished that Jerry Cooney had pushed to the fight harder, went after him more. I was rooting for Larry Holmes that night. But looking back I think Cooney fought too cautiously. If he would have pressured more, it might have been too much for the champion

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Yep. He had some chin. Maybe better than Ali's. I wished that Jerry Cooney had pushed to the fight harder, went after him more. I was rooting for Larry Holmes that night. But looking back I think Cooney fought too cautiously. If he would have pressured more, it might have been too much for the champion

Gerry Cooney underwhelmed that night. I don't know whether it was the bright lights... the Great White Hope hype... stagefright... or what.

Then again maybe he just wasn't as good as advertised.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gerry Cooney underwhelmed that night. I don't know whether it was the bright lights... the Great White Hope hype... stagefright... or what.

It was the latter, I read he did not want his friends and family betting for him to win because he knew they would lose their money.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes Holmes did fight bums. when it comes to fighting bums Roy Joke jr is the all time champion.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

I must've blocked that one out of my mind.

Nah... again... I give Larry the respect he deserves. He was also unlucky to come in after Ali and before Tyson... two formidable bookends to his own career.

The best (or more exciting) fight of his career, IMO, was definitely his war with Ken Norton. That was one of those classics.
    I'm on the fence. Yes he did holler and cry. I think the 1st time Don King saw him sparring Larry heard him crackin' cold ass jokes to which of all people it was a trainer-I think Dundee that responded don't look at what he looks like. Look at what he's doing. His jab is near perfect and he's just a rookie.
    I think of what must it felt like that Ali, his mentor gave the torch to Ray Leonard & for the most part never ever spoke positive about his pupil. Post Holmes interview is the most humble I ever seen him be. he beats the champ & was in tears, not happy & knowing he would be ridiculed for fighting Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbig1 View Post
    A great Champion is one who can get off the canvas and win. Holmes has done that. On the other hand he did fight a ton of bums who shouldn't even got a title shot. Great fighter in a bad era.
    Well said: great fighter in a not so good era!

I like the Legendary Night on Holmes-Cooney. Larry said he was hurt bad to the body. He said thank goodness the bell rang when it happened. Gerry IMO was a heavy handed fighter, gr8 power, but by midrounds IMO it was clear Larry made adjustments to show he was truly a fighter who could think in the ring. Gerry didn't have that. Plus I am a bit biased for the documentary stating how bad Gerry's father made him feel. Not Larry's fault he was tougher internally and using his past to make him better, whereas Cooney seemed to use his past to justify that fire he didn't have- If the bomb didn't detonate.
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 10-16-2020 at 06:49 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Holmes could fight, don't get me wrong, but it was a load of bums he fought though.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was never a Larry Holmes fan but he did what was expected, he won and he had skill, but Joe Louis fought bums too. Ali had a few biscuits on the table too. In Joe Louis' days his reign was nicknamed, "The bum of the month club." Like Larry and for a while heading along the same road, Ali and the most recent addition was Wlad, remember? They fought often and those opponents lined up and got their turn. The bum of the month club will appear and reappear whenever entertainment is sparse.

Thread Information