Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Restaurants

When I was younger I worked in restaurants. Started out cleaning tables when I was 14. A Greek diner in my town didn’t care about labor laws. They were real assholes but I liked the fact I could go in on the weekends and work and make money. Eventually I ended up waiting tables at a decent steak house in town and I shit you not I stayed there for at least a decade. I finished school, got a “real” job but since the restaurant only opened at night I continued to work there. It was good money, all cash but of course you make friends with the coworkers and customers. I did stay in touch with the owners and some workers but as life got busier we dropped out of touch.

I’ve been thinking about restaurants a lot. I drive around and I see the larger chains adapting but the small family run ones, like the one I worked at for so long, either shut down or running at limited capacity they don’t know wtf to do. Now with the crappy weather setting in the outside dining a few places were doing will be ending. How many peoples first jobs were in the restaurant industry. It really is a massive hit to a lot of people.

I have actually been considering showing up at my old family run restaurant see how everyone is but if they are bumming out and struggling I don’t want make them uncomfortable explaining all that to me. My wife and I rarely go out to eat even prewuhan. Just busy and tired but there were a few local restaurants we would go once in a while. I think it’s easier to go to a restaurant than it is to go to church right now, with the laws they impose but that’s not saying much. My understanding is 1 in 6 restaurants is or will be closing but someone I heard on the financial news put it at 2 in 6. Meanwhile stock in the corporate run restaurants has been doing ok as they can weather this shit and have drive throughs and what not every where.

Oh well just passing thoughts. If I hadn’t worked in restaurants so long and seen so many kids get there first jobs or so many ladies support there kids waiting tables it probably wouldn’t bother me as much as it does.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Restaurants

Tips are big in USA but here we do not bother as much.

Covid 19 has hit local businesses very hard including the pubs. Government tried to pay a portion of the family meals as an incentive which helped but that I think has stopped now.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Tips are big in USA but here we do not bother as much.

Covid 19 has hit local businesses very hard including the pubs. Government tried to pay a portion of the family meals as an incentive which helped but that I think has stopped now.
    I read that your government did that. I didn’t hear how it worked out but they were paying like 40% of the bill or something. Yeah when I was waiting tables I relied on tips. The straight pay is almost nothing, it’s actually under the federal minimum wage but I could make 1,000 a week in cash and that was just a few nights work. That is pretty good when you are in school. I know China doesn’t operate on tips either. I know Canada does, or at least the times I was there it did. So I guess it’s not universal but regardless I’m sure it’s similar here as the restaurants are many peoples first job and they employee a massive amount of people, dare I say unskilled labor. But to get to the point where you were a waiter at a decent place certainly required some skills of being able to deal with people of every walk of life.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Eat out to Help Out was massive, but also very hard work of people in the industry. The problem in the U.K. is that it isn’t necessarily the big chains that survive and the independents don’t, it’s about how the Restaurant is set up. If they have enough space, inside or outside to get enough footfall to warrant opening after social distancing and other things that need implementing.
    But you can’t say the Government hasn’t tried to help the industry, it’s just that no matter what they do, for some businesses it won’t be enough.
    And if there’s another lockdown (inevitable) , it’s going to be a massive blow , and for some, the final nail in the coffin.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    The Eat out to Help Out was massive, but also very hard work of people in the industry. The problem in the U.K. is that it isn’t necessarily the big chains that survive and the independents don’t, it’s about how the Restaurant is set up. If they have enough space, inside or outside to get enough footfall to warrant opening after social distancing and other things that need implementing.
    But you can’t say the Government hasn’t tried to help the industry, it’s just that no matter what they do, for some businesses it won’t be enough.
    And if there’s another lockdown (inevitable) , it’s going to be a massive blow , and for some, the final nail in the coffin.
    Yeah that’s the issue. Food, liquor, electric, gas, booze etc all cost the same but you are running on limited capacity. Really when I was working in the industry it was about packing them in. The profit margin on food isn’t that high. It’s drinks that fill the register. I’m not saying money isn’t made on food but there is much more preparation than pouring liquid into a glass. When I mention chains I’m not saying they aren’t being hurt but they have greater cash reserves to ride out the crisis. They are also better positioned to be able to make changes than a mom and pop place would. I gotta make a point of going to a local place. We have a real nice Italian place probably two miles from us. They have been around for 20 years and the few times I went they were very nice.

Thread Information