Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Crawford vs Brook..14th Nov

Crawford claims that after the Pacquiao fight fell through that he was pushing for, he said he didn’t want Brook and called for Thurman, but Thurman asked for $10 million. I remember hearing about Thurman demanding that much a while ago so I have a feeling that it’s probably true.

Like I have said before, I don’t think that he is ducking anybody. He is just stuck with ESPN now and they don’t have the welters to give him good fights. I know that it’s partly on Bud for signing the contract, but I can’t really blame him for getting that guaranteed money. He is asking for fights. He just can’t get them.

Arum did recently say that he will fight either Pacquiao or Spence in 2021. I hope he can fight both.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacquiao is independent and left Arum so may not be him.

Who is Spence with PBC?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kell Brook has titanium plates in both cheeks, he nearly lost a leg in a machete attack, he won the British title in 2008 and this Saturday he fights Terence Crawford, arguably the best boxer in the world, inside a bubble at the MGM in Las Vegas. And, he was paid less than 300 quid for his debut back in 2004.

Ezekiel Brook is part of the British boxing furniture, a long and seasoned survivor in the dirty old game.

The machete attack in 2014 remains a bloody and violent mystery, an end to a dark night best forgotten, but the titanium plates are the end result of two savage fights in the ring, nights when Brook dared to be great. He has fought 41 times, lost just the twice, won a world title against the odds in America – a fight that is oddly and unfairly neglected when people talk about great wins by British boxers - and he is still only 34.

“I have never done things the easy way and never had things easy,” said Brook, who is in Las Vegas now, due to enter the final days of bubble life before the Crawford fight on Saturday. Crawford is unbeaten in 36 fights, a champion at three weights, cold and calculating in the ring; he was also a victim of street violence and was shot in the neck at the end of a 3am gambling session. The pair can compare scars during the boring hours of forced isolation in one of the MGM's satellite outposts.

In many ways Brook has gone rogue for Saturday's fight, left the comfort of Eddie Hearn's patronage, split from his life-long trainer Dominic Ingle, left the familiarity of Sky's favourable coverage and negotiated the fight on his own. Well, on his own with a couple of behind-the-scenes fight fixers, men available at a good price to join up all the dots. The move has caused a bit of rancour, but at this point in his career it is surely not a shock; Brook does not owe anybody, they have all had years and years of making money together. Brook has probably been in 20 main attractions on television, a dozen title fights of some description, pay-per-view events and massive fights. Make no mistake, Kell delivered for British boxing and Hearn, as the main promoter, certainly did his bit.

“This fight has come at the perfect time for me,” insists Brook. “It's the easiest that I have ever made the weight and you know how many years I have been fighting the scales – this time, I'm there, I'm ready and there will not be any drain to make the welterweight limit.” Crawford had told Brook in February, when they met at a fight in Las Vegas, that if he could make the weight, then he could have the fight.

Brook has not been inside the welterweight poundage since losing to Errol Spence, still an unbeaten world champion, in May of 2017. He damaged his left eye socket in that fight and was stopped in the eleventh; the fight was cruelly slipping away as the pain from the damage intensified. It was close until the tenth and then it was hard to watch, hard not to feel sickened for Brook as his face started to swell and he yelped as Spence's punches landed. That was crazy bravery.

Amazingly, in the fight before Spence, there was another painful loss when, having gained 13 pounds, he challenged middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin in front of 20,000 people at the O2; he was stopped in round five, his right eye socket smashed on that occasion. Two bad injuries, two serious surgical procedures, two defeats, two titanium plates and there was realistic talk of Kell Brook's fighting days being over.

Brook refused to go quietly and has won three since the Spence loss, his face fixed, his desire back and the weight gone. “Everybody thinks that this is a retirement fight for me and that I'm taking it for just the money. That is wrong, I can win this, I know I can. Crawford has never met a big, strong, dangerous welterweight,” added Brook. The payday is meant to be $2million and Crawford will, trust me, make Brook earn every single cent.

Crawford is just a year younger than Brook, he first won the lightweight world title in 2014, added the light-welterweight version the following year and completed his move through the weights in 2018 when he won the WBO welterweight title. Brook will be his fourth defence, his 14th consecutive world title fight. Last April in New York, Crawford overwhelmed Amir Khan in six rounds at Madison Square Garden. Khan seemed shocked and I have noticed that with a lot of Crawford's victims; he is bigger, stronger, faster and hits harder than people imagine. Four of his last five opponents, all stopped, had previously never lost. He persuades people the old-fashioned way – he hits them on the chin to make converts.

In the summer of 2014 Brook had to travel to California to fight the IBF welterweight champion, Shawn Porter, who was unbeaten in 25 fights. Brook had been a professional boxer for a decade, had won the British title six years earlier and was the underdog that night against Porter. Brook is right, he has never had a simple path, never had it easy and that will not change on Saturday night. Las Vegas is a city of miracles, of mirages and Brook will need all the magic he can find. It is also a city without a soul.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/kel...093734795.html

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brook was such a good fighter a few years ago. He was the most avoided guy in the division for years before he got his title shot.

Big, tough, heavy handed and that awkward Wincobank style. Good engine, and brave to boot. He would have given Crawford loads of problems a little while ago.

But that was then and this is now.

With hindsight, the decision to jump two weight divisions and get in the ring with the most feared destroyer in the sport, Gennady Golovkin, was crazy.

GGG walked through him, and gave him such a pounding he was never the same fighter again.

I expect a cagey opening, with Brook having some success against Crawford. His inactivity, the years of wars and his weight difficulties will catch up with him at the mid point. He will start to take another beating before the ref rescues him around the 8th.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No one will ever know the answer to this, but would Kell have made more money and be more successful if he never fought Triple G and continued defending his Welterweight title?

Kell may have eventually lost his title to Spence anyway but the fight was even until the later rounds and Brooks was winning the fight early. The damage caused by Triple G and first loss would have been a factor in this 2nd loss.

Kell would have made at least 1 defence which were normally against relatively poor opposition and probably poor money.

I do not think Kell would have ever beaten Spence, even if he never fought Golovkin, but may have lost by decision instead.

So in conclusion I do not think he would have made as much money defending his titles than he did against Golovkin and he would have lost to Spence anyway. He would have only made 1 extra successful defence.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kell Brook believes victory over Terence Crawford will slot comfortably alongside any other British wins in the history of boxing.

The 34-year-old takes on arguably the finest fighter on the planet in a Las Vegas bubble on Saturday night in a fight which has been dismissed by many as a simple cash-out option in the gambling hotspot.

But Brook says his decision to take on Crawford, the reigning WBO welterweight champion, was based on a yearning to be great rather than any financial incentive.

Indeed the Sheffield man, a former world champion at welterweight, says beating the switch-hitting star will be enough to etch his name in boxing folklore for good.

The likes of Lloyd Honeyghan, John H Stracey and Tyson Fury all famously left Britain as rank outsiders only to upset the odds and claim stunning wins overseas. And, when asked where victory over Crawford would rank alongside wins like that, Brook said: “I think you'd have to put this one up there. It has to be right up there.

“Because of what I've been through and because everybody is writing me off. Nobody is giving me a chance in this fight. You have to put it up there because this guy is arguably the best fighter in the world.

“I haven't made welterweight for so many years, I've had my eye injuries and my losses, everybody is saying I'm washed up. So for me to go out there and to put the performance on that's needed to capture that world title, I think you'd have to put that right up there. You've got to.”

Saturday night, at the (empty) MGM Grand Garden Arena, will be Brook's first fight inside the welterweight limit since he lost his IBF title to Errol Spence Jr at Bramall Lane back in May 2017. Since then, he has campaigned at light-middleweight but decided to make the agonising drop back down to 147 lbs in order to challenge Crawford.

For many, this energy-sapping battle with the scales will give Brook far too much to do in a fight against the talented two-weight world champion but the challenger is adamant the weight cut will not be a factor.

“It's not going to kill me to do it,” he said. “In fact I think it's one of the easiest I've ever made welterweight and I've not made it for three years.

“I've always struggled with the weight, ballooning up in between fights and not ever learning. I remember Ricky Hatton always saying to me if he ever went back and did it all over again, he would never let his weight balloon up like it did.

“I'm no Ricky Fatton and for the last couple of fights I haven't ballooned up, my weight has stabilised so I've been able to fuel myself for every training session instead of operating on minimal calories.

“I’ve been able to maximise my workouts by having a low weight at the start of camp and then I’ve been able to fuel myself from every training session to get that extra 10, 20 per cent in every session because I’ve got that fuel to perform in sessions.

“I don't need to worry about making the weight. I'm going to deal with it then I'm going to deal with him.”

Unsurprisingly, that confidence is matched by only a tiny minority outside of Brook's team and he is as long as 9/1 with some bookmakers to beat the 36-0 champion.

There has even been an eery lack of fanfare surrounding this fight with Brook no longer working with his former promoter Eddie Hearn and therefore no longer on Sky Sports.

Instead his clash with Crawford will be shown on niche subscription channel Premier Sports which has meant there has been none of the usual build-up accustomed to a Brook fight.

"It means there's no magnifying glass on me and I know what I can do when I'm 100 per cent which I am,” he added.

“That's what I need. You know how people can write you off and everything else. As long as I know what's what, how I'm feeling and what I'm weighing then there's no stress.

“There's no rehydration clause, it's all positive for me. I know the odds are against me and that motivates me. I know it's all laid out for me to go out there and do it. All the pressure is on Terence Crawford. I'm there now and I'm motivated.

“It's not like I'm in for a payday, I'm in for greatness. I'm in to make history, become a two-time world champion and bring it back to Britain. I'm not here to make the numbers up, I'm here to become the undisputed king of the welterweight division and be in the pound-for-pound list.

“I know I'm in with Terence Crawford and he's a big deal, I'm not interested in where he is on the list. I'm interested in Terence Crawford the man. That's what I'm focused in on.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/defiant-ke...071740972.html

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crawford could seriously hurt Brook.

Why would you continue to fight after the injuries he’s sustained.

Money.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kell Brook played down the enormity of his task against Terence Crawford in Las Vegas on Saturday by saying he would win their World Boxing Organisation welterweight title fight by knockout.

Crawford, the champion from Omaha, is undefeated in a 36-fight career across three weight divisions. He has looked imperturbable against every style and size put in front of him, switch-hitting his rivals with a clean precision.

Brook, from Sheffield, has lost just once at welterweight in his 41 fights, to American Errol Spence, when Crawford was a keen observer. “You can look at little bits of pieces of that fight, but at the same time I don’t think me and Errol Spence have the same style of fighting,” Crawford said. “I don’t think Kell Brook will fight me the same way he fought Spence.”

Brook suffered a broken orbital socket in the defeat. Will it have affected him?

“Given he went up and fought Triple G [Gennady Golovkin] at 160lb, having those two significant eye injuries delayed his stay at welterweight, given that he was already outgrowing the welterweight division,” Crawford said. “Going to fight Triple G and then Errol Spence in back-to-back fights is tough on your body. But that fight [with Spence] was a long time ago and I’m pretty sure Kell has learnt from his mistakes. He’s going to come in a better fighter than he was with Spence.”

Brook, who says he has had the best camp of his life in Las Vegas, certainly thinks so. “He’s going to know he’s in with a solid, fully-fledged welterweight with power in each hand, who’s got great timing, who’s got a great jab, who believes he can win, who’s been in with the best fighters in the world and who’s got great experience,” Brook said.

“I know what it takes to be champion of the world, I know what I need to do. He is very, very good, but I think they are getting carried away with him. I don’t believe the hype. He’s got to show me why he’s a top pound-for-pound fighter because I don’t believe he is what they are all calling him out to be.”

Brook says this is a special moment. “Every fighter dreams about fighting at Madison Square Garden or the MGM in Las Vegas. I am fighting there, it’s just with this Covid situation. I would have loved the fans to be there, of course. I draw strength from the fans and the crowd, but it’s going to be the same for him.

“I’ve been doing it since I was nine and to see myself up in lights in Las Vegas is what dreams are made of. To be on the platform of all the legends of boxing – Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, Felix Trinidad, Oscar De La Hoya, Fernando Vargas, Bernard Hopkins, the Mayweathers. It’s a moment for greatness. I’ve got to be the best I’ve ever been to beat Terence Crawford. I know what I’m going in there against and I know what I need to do and I believe I can get this job done.

Brook believes he will stop Crawford. “I believe I will. He’s been stiffened up before and he has not been in with someone who is as accurate and has the power I have who can finish the way I can finish. I’m tuned up, I’m a Ferrari, I’m ready to rise up to the top of the sport.”

While Brook will look to leave it all in the ring on a night that could define his career, Crawford has a legacy of his own he is pursuing.

“When people look back at my career, they will see a kid who started from ground up, from Nebraska who became the first world champion of his whole state. Who went on to become undisputed, No 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world that never ducked or turned down any opponent. That’s what my legacy will be remembered as – one of the greats. One of the best switch-hitters of all time.”

Brook, meanwhile, could retire happily with victory. “I could happily retire knowing I’ve beaten the best out there. What else do you want from me? I’ve beaten the king of boxing.” To do so, Brook must find perfection in this fight.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/kel...210858626.html

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RIPPED Kell Brook shows off jaw-dropping body transformation at intense weigh-in ahead of Terence Crawford fight

Kell Brook showed off his incredible body transformation during the weigh-in for his showdown with Terence Crawford.

Although Brook looks shredded, the Sheffield-born fighter had no problem making the 147lbs mark ahead of Saturday’s bout in Las Vegas.

Special K will challenge one of the pound-for-pound best for his WBO welterweight title in his first outing in the division since 2017.

Brook has only lost twice in his career, to Gennady Golovkin and Errol Spence Jr and some see the 34-year-old’s next fight as his final payday before hanging up his gloves.

Having chased a fight with Amir Khan, who spurned the opportunity of an all-British clash to face Crawford, Brook now has his opportunity at the American.

Khan was stopped in the sixth round and Brook appears in the shape of his life for his fight.

“I know people are writing me off, saying I’m 34 and haven’t made welterweight for years,” said Brook.

“I feel this is the moment where I become great in this fight.

“If you had seen me in the last four or five months I have been obsessed,.

“I’ve sacrificed, taken myself away from my girls and been training so hard because I know that if I walk away from the sport I want to know I have done everything I can. This is the biggest fight of my career.”

“I stay in shape, that’s nothing. What’s being in shape going to do? I’m going beat your b**** a**.

“You’ll f****** see. You know m***********. Your whole f****** team knows.

“What the f*** you talking about filling up? I’m going to fill up too. I’ll fill up on your chin.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/7...xing-weigh-in/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always liked Brook but I feel he is shopworn and can't see him making the weight easily.
    I would be surprised he troubles Crawford a classic a man on the top of the mountain and the other well on the way down.!

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's now when sentiment kicks in a bit and a chance starts being offered to the underdog. The If's but's and maybe's start flying around. Doesn't seem to be the case here though. I haven't seen one person who'd I'd pay any attention to give Brook a hope in hell of pulling this off.

Pick any upset you like. Brook winning this would be up there on that level.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that Brook will have some success for the first few rounds. Crawford generally takes a few rounds to get started but always ends strong. I’m predicting Crawford to stop Brook in round 9

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brook has never shied away from a challenge. Moving up to face Golovkin was not the best career move but he faced the challenge head on. Then returning to 147 to defend against Spence. A fight that I thought was competitive until the late rounds.

Brook didn't look the best against Zerafa. Add in his age, wear and tear, he also hasn't fought at this weight in over 3 years, makes me think Brook gets dominated by Crawford.

Crawford should end the fight before the 10th.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm only in this fight for the upset. Its what i watch the game for. Its where i get my thrills. I see a slim chance in this fight but the possibility is there.

Thread Information