196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lopez vs Tank?

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I’m sure this opinion will be in the minority, but I feel like the size difference was the difference for Lopez winning. I also saw some bad signs when the much smaller Loma started putting punches together and pressure on Teo. Teo didn’t look comfortable or confident at all for a few rounds- although I do give him a ton of credit for coming out and dominating the twelfth round. I’m not sure if Tank is the guy to do it, but I feel the first fighter he faces who has a solid chin, solid boxing skills, and good stamina will beat him. I hope I’m wrong because I love his attitude and willingness to fight- but I just can’t help but feel that while besting Loma is impressive, that win was more about what Loma didn’t do than what Lopez did (likely due to the size differential).

I would personally love to see Lopez fight Mikey Garcia at 140. Both are similar sized and I think that would be a great match up.

Tank is a bit inconsistent for my taste- and I haven’t seen him best an elite fighter in their prime. I would bet on Lopez in that match up, but wouldn’t be surprised if Tank won either- I have a feeling Lopez will have a let down after the Loma fight.

Lopez vs Haney is a good match up, but I would lean towards Lopez right now. Haney is a very live underdog though, and I can see a solid case being made for Haney to outbox him over 12.

Teo did get hit quite a bit from rounds 8-11. A bit too easily to suit me. I think mostly Loma's straight left, whether behind the right jab, or whether a lead, found its target amazingly accurately. I don't know how it would all play out in a rematch, now that each knows what the other brings to the table. Lopez is young, bright, and quick... so I'd be amazed if he didn't make the necessary adjustments to avoid those shots. From Loma's side, hopefully he learned the painful (but obvious) lesson that you just can't give away 7 rounds of a 12-round fight and expect a different result than what he got. He'd come in more aggressively... and it's anybody's guess how Lopez would handle a more aggressive Loma from the get-go.
    I saw some shades of Hop-Taylor 1. Hop waited way too late, but when he turned on, he made it look somewhat easy, but it was too late. Whereas he turns on late as an age factor, with Loma it is his style.

I think he has the ability to go into a 2nd fight with little need to (download) his foe's style as commentators pointed out. And boy those round8-11 was nice.
    The one thing that can neutralize it, is Lopez' power. And he doesn't run out of gas like Taylor. IMO he made Loma not want to fight that 12th.
    Reading your take makes me want to see a rematch all the more!

Can Loma turn the heat on early? Can he stay out of harm's way in the process?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lopez vs Tank?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    I’m sure this opinion will be in the minority, but I feel like the size difference was the difference for Lopez winning. I also saw some bad signs when the much smaller Loma started putting punches together and pressure on Teo. Teo didn’t look comfortable or confident at all for a few rounds- although I do give him a ton of credit for coming out and dominating the twelfth round. I’m not sure if Tank is the guy to do it, but I feel the first fighter he faces who has a solid chin, solid boxing skills, and good stamina will beat him. I hope I’m wrong because I love his attitude and willingness to fight- but I just can’t help but feel that while besting Loma is impressive, that win was more about what Loma didn’t do than what Lopez did (likely due to the size differential).

I would personally love to see Lopez fight Mikey Garcia at 140. Both are similar sized and I think that would be a great match up.

Tank is a bit inconsistent for my taste- and I haven’t seen him best an elite fighter in their prime. I would bet on Lopez in that match up, but wouldn’t be surprised if Tank won either- I have a feeling Lopez will have a let down after the Loma fight.

Lopez vs Haney is a good match up, but I would lean towards Lopez right now. Haney is a very live underdog though, and I can see a solid case being made for Haney to outbox him over 12.

Teo did get hit quite a bit from rounds 8-11. A bit too easily to suit me. I think mostly Loma's straight left, whether behind the right jab, or whether a lead, found its target amazingly accurately. I don't know how it would all play out in a rematch, now that each knows what the other brings to the table. Lopez is young, bright, and quick... so I'd be amazed if he didn't make the necessary adjustments to avoid those shots. From Loma's side, hopefully he learned the painful (but obvious) lesson that you just can't give away 7 rounds of a 12-round fight and expect a different result than what he got. He'd come in more aggressively... and it's anybody's guess how Lopez would handle a more aggressive Loma from the get-go.
    I saw some shades of Hop-Taylor 1. Hop waited way too late, but when he turned on, he made it look somewhat easy, but it was too late. Whereas he turns on late as an age factor, with Loma it is his style.

I think he has the ability to go into a 2nd fight with little need to (download) his foe's style as commentators pointed out. And boy those round8-11 was nice.
    The one thing that can neutralize it, is Lopez' power. And he doesn't run out of gas like Taylor. IMO he made Loma not want to fight that 12th.
    Reading your take makes me want to see a rematch all the more!

Can Loma turn the heat on early? Can he stay out of harm's way in the process?

Totally agree. No way Loma makes the same stupid mistake in a rematch. If it was in fact Lopez who "prevented" Loma from being reasonably active through the first 6-7 rounds... Loma knows he would need to take considerable risk to put together a different fight in a rematch. This would force Lopez's hand. Would Lopez take Loma out? Would Loma "outduel" Lopez early? No one knows.

Thread Information