Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
this thread has 2 directions now. It started out by stating boxers need to keep better arithmetic tally of the rounds as they are going by (and losing them!).... but now it looks like it is focused on the SCORING of the fight..... 2 diff things for sure, but Im still tempted to follow along on the 2nd issue, the scoring..... I guess it is all tied together.

Well... thanks for bringing that up. I figured there would be enough of the obligatory "scoring" threads, and wanted this one to go in a specific direction.

My tongue-in-cheek comment being that if you're a professional fighter... and are in full knowledge that the fight is slated for 12 rounds... it seems pretty damn silly to just give away the first 7 rounds, unless you're damn certain you're going to score a knockout or at least several knockdowns.

The point someone made about it being Lopez who didn't allow Loma to get off the starting blocks is well taken. Except that it doesn't change the reality of it being a 12-round fight and if you've given away the first 7 there's no chance in hell you're gonna win a decision.
Recently I have noticed more and more fighters losing track of what round it was. Over the past 12 months or so there have been countless times in the corner when a fighter will ask what round it is. More than usual in my opinion far more frequently than I remember. So I think we also have to add in the advice to fighters or to their corner men, to make sure they tell the fighter what round it is DURING EVERY 60 SECOND BREAK, to keep updating them on the number of the round. Perhaps this will help them with their arithmetic. I mean what if a fighter truly believes theyre heading into the 7th round when in fact they are really heading into the 9th round? He will think he has much more time to mount his comeback.

Good point. Hell... Tom Brady forgot what down it was in a recent NFL game.

Ok then... what about those ring card girls?

Maybe they should make a brief stop at each corner and make sure they put the round number in front of them.
Dont get me started on the ring card girls, .......... trust me