Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Terry O'Connor farcial judging......

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Terry O'Connor farcial judging......

He wasn't the only one to turn in a stinker of a scorecard in favour of the outwitted Lewis Ritson last night, but his wasn't even remotely attempted to be realistic in giving the bout 117-111.

Most fans looking on, including Sky Sports pundits were struggling to give more than 2 rounds to Ritson.

Furthermore O'Connor was seen to be looking at his phone in images posted online from the coverage.

It's just the latest in a long line of awful scorecards Terry has produced over the years, but with being caught on his phone as well just adds to the fury of his incompetence.

For years it was an ongoing joke how fighters going to Germany would only ever win if they got a stoppage, such was the corruption and favouritism to the "home" fighter. But I think in the last few years it's been pretty rampant here in the UK and is somewhat of an embarrassment.

Eddie Hearn tweeted that O'Connor should be punished severely if, as it looked, he was on his phone during a bout he was supposed to be scoring...

So do we think anything will actually happen? Refs and judges have forever been protected from any punishments or being held accountable for anything they produce. Be it a performance as a ref in the ring, or scoring a bout from ringside.

When is it time for changes to be made and what could be implemented by the powers that be?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Terry O'Connor farcial judging......

Nothing will happen.

Eddie was probably texting him information on his phone during the fight.

It’s all corrupt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's been like this for a long time I know, but I think more and more fans are becoming disillutioned with it. If enough people, those who pay for the tickets and ppvs, shout loud enough, could we be heard?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is nothing new about the UK. American's have always, and still do to this day, claim they'll get shafted in the UK just as Brits claim they've been shafted in Germany and Italy. Back in the day the fights were never seen so it was easy to claim "robbery." Just nationlistic stuff. America is just as bad as everywhere else.

However, this Terry O'Connor phone stuff is different level. Some heads are gonna roll.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Judge to appear before BBBofC after accusation of using phone during Ritson bout

Judge Terry O’Connor has been summoned to appear before British Boxing Board of Control stewards after he was accused of looking at his phone while officiating a bout between Lewis Ritson and Miguel Vazquez.

Ritson was awarded a hotly-disputed split-decision victory in the light-welterweight contest in Peterborough on Saturday night, with O’Connor’s 117-111 scorecard in favour of the British fighter coming under some scrutiny.

Ritson’s promoter Eddie Hearn was among a number of people to share a stills image which allegedly showed O’Connor glancing away from the ring and looking down on his phone while the action was ongoing.

The BBBofC is looking into the matter and has asked O’Connor to explain himself.

A statement said: “Mr O’Connor will appear before the stewards of the British Boxing Board of Control following his appointment to the boxing tournament at the East of England Showground Arena on Saturday, 17th October 2020.”

Hearn believes O’Connor should be stood down as a judge if the claims he was using his phone are proven to be true.

He wrote on Twitter: “IF it’s a phone he should be removed and if not he should be accountable for the score card. The BBBofC have called a hearing and we will see, it’s over to them.”

Ritson recorded his 21st win in 22 professional contests after edging out former IBF lightweight titlist Vazquez, who suffered the 10th defeat of his 52-fight career and fifth in eight of his most recent outings.

However, Hearn thought the Mexican veteran deserved the nod, while manager Sam Jones, who oversees the career of British heavyweight Joe Joyce, went a step further.

He wrote on Twitter: “I promise that’s the worst decision I’ve ever seen in boxing.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/jud...160027585.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's all good that he's gonna have to go and "appear before" the BBBoC, but I don't think much will actually be done.
    We won't know in fact since it will all be kept hush hush.
    They may suggest he retires, which I suppose would be some kind of half decent result.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is a problem that is not unique to British boxing I am sure, but quite startlingly obvious to those of us who watch, attend and work here.

It is, depressingly, there right from the start, on small amateur cards where the club hosting will be on the side of embarrassing one sided cards that fly in the face of reason. Endemic, you could argue.

I see and work with some great reffs and judges who despite consistent and quality work never get to make the step up to the next level, and then you have people like O'connor and Ian John Lewis who are seemingly rewarded even after inexplicably bad performances.

Yes you need experience and so there will always be a smaller pool of older reffs and judges at the top but that pool is not an elite club of the countries most honest, perceptive, firm and skillful reffs and judges. To continue to pretend that is the case would be myopic.

There needs to be a clear path and better remuneration. Training and assessment and most importantly an effort to bring younger talent thru and rewarded for doing their job well.

It is a unique job that not all ex fighters whose career has been cut as short for injuries that would not stop them working in the game can do. Many could, but coaching etc is far more attractive for most and there is not masses of quality candidates to pick from.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing doing apparently
    https://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...s-ritson-fight

"Allegations made on social media and the print media as to Mr. O'Connor using a mobile telephone or similar handheld device were considered.
    "Following extensive consideration of footage and Mr. O'Connor's evidence supplied, the Stewards are satisfied that Mr. O'Connor was not in possession of any telephone or handheld device whilst carrying out his duties as a judge in the contest between Lewis Ritson and Miguel Vazquez and his scoring of said bout was not affected in any way"

"In addition, Mr. O'Connor's scoring of the bout was considered and whilst judging a contest is subjective and following Mr. O'Connor's explanation of how he scored the bout, the Stewards are satisfied that Mr. O'Connor's final score reflected his own opinion of the contest."

When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information