I have come to realize that casual fans are what makes a sport popular or not. There will always be diehard fans of any sport or activity which will allow it to survive. In some ways, that’s actually better for the sport. It keeps it more pure. Once a sport gets popular, money gets involved and things become corrupt. I think that it’s great that these fighters or athletes are getting paid what they bring in, but a lot of problems come with this.

Anyway, my point is that I have seen so much of Loma being overrated and never being that good. This is mostly from the casual fans. Most real fans know that Loma was and still is a very good fighter. Because of this, the whole “don’t lose your 0” era has been created. Once you lose, casual fans stop caring about you.

So just like in all popular sports, diehard fans get the shaft because they don’t get to dictate the sport. The casuals dictate where it goes and how it is run. They care more about the pageantry and the “coolness” of it rather than the sport itself. It’s all just an unfortunate reality.