Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 43 years old... and contending for MVP status in the NFL

I'm referring to Tom Brady, of course. Regardless of whether or not anyone here follows the NFL... it's a feat worthy of admiration. Here's a guy who won six Super Bowls in nine appearances with the New England Patriots since 2001... goes to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at the ripe old age (NFL-wise) of 43... and is contending for MVP honors with lights-out quarterback play... while helping make the Buccaneers a Super Bowl contender in their own right.

IMO, Brady already had GOAT status cemented a long time ago. But this fight against Father Time is pretty impressive, to say the least. Detractors will point to his supporting cast, and granted... the Buccaneers have surrounded Brady with a pretty good team. But damn... how many greats of the past have tried to continue playing quarterback at NFL levels, only to have their age betray them suddenly and cruelly. My favorite NFL team has always been the Pittsburgh Steelers... but I'm also a Brady fan, and am rooting for him to take the Bucs deep into the playoffs (COVID permitting, of course).

Every sport has its share of ATG's who seem to defy age and play with excellence past their peak years. But this cat has taken it to a new level.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 43 years old... and contending for MVP status in the NFL

Favre came close to it when he took the Vikings to 12-4. Before him a finely aged Randall Cunningham took the Vikes I think to 15-1? But got handed a reality check by the dirty birds of ATL. IMO I think that is because Randall proved no matter how great the Vike's offense was 3-deep aka Jake Reed, Chris Carter & Randy Moss, when leadership time came, he crumbled.
    To that point, I think a Brady would've risen to the occasion, because he has proven that good.

The other comparison was Joe Montana taking a lowly Chiefs to the playoffs, that was surreal.

I hope to check out Bucs. Haven't seen any of their games yet, but this post makes me curious to see Mr. Brady outside of a Patriot uniform!
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 10-29-2020 at 06:35 AM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good examples you put up there... especially someone like Montana, who was widely considered a GOAT candidate for QB before Brady burst on the scene.

One of the storylines this season is whether Belichick can win without Brady and the other way around. Right now I'd say Brady is winning that particular "contest", although I take nothing away from Belichick's genius.

I saw Brady against the Raiders and he was sharp as hell. Threading the needle... and throwing fantastic deep balls.

I just hope COVID doesn't derail this season like it's wreaking havoc with college football.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m a Boston native so the patriots have always had meaning to me. When Brady left I was stunned but in no way would I wish bad on the dude. Glad he is still breaking records. Bastard

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I’m a Boston native so the patriots have had meaning to me. When Brady left I was stunned but in no way would I wish bad on the dude. Glad he is still breaking records. Bastard

I hear ya. 19 years is a lot, though. The guy made his career in NE, and isn't one of these "bounce-around" guys who know all the best restaurants in every major NFL city.

He needed a showcase for his talents, which I must say are remarkably intact at his ripe old age (it's not like he's a paunchy relief pitcher for the Red Sox)… and New England was just running short on supporting cast.

Brady's been incredibly effective given the revolving door of wide receivers and tight ends (until Gronk) he's had to deal with the last few years.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m a Boston native so the patriots have always had meaning to me. When Brady left I was stunned but in no way would I wish bad on the dude. Glad he is still breaking records. Bastard
    Seems Bostonians can separate their emotions when needed. When Favre left the Packers to go with the Jets it was somber. When he went to the Vikings, it was like he betrayed the NFL itself. It lasted so long that when he was inducted he was unsure if he would get booed.
    Has Brady played the Pats yet or will?

I so enjoyed watching the 12-4 Vikings rip the Pac both times as a result of their treatment of him.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Seems Bostonians can separate their emotions when needed. When Favre left the Packers to go with the Jets it was somber. When he went to the Vikings, it was like he betrayed the NFL itself. It lasted so long that when he was inducted he was unsure if he would get booed.

I so enjoyed watching the 12-4 Vikings rip the Pac both times as a result of their treatment of him.

Nope. Not this year. Would've been a cool storyline though. The schedule makers should've tweaked it a little.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Nope. Not this year. Would've been a cool storyline though. The schedule makers should've tweaked it a little.
    For many years I was a diehard redsox fan. I can’t tell you how many standing ovations I participated in for former Red Sox players who had changed teams. I always liked that. Shit, johny Damon came out and tipped his hat to the crowd in a Yankees uniform. There were some issues with Clemons but even he would get cheers from the crowd

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For many years I was a diehard redsox fan. I can’t tell you how many standing ovations I participated in for former Red Sox players who had changed teams. I always liked that. Shit, johny Damon came out and tipped his hat to the crowd in a Yankees uniform. There were some issues with Clemons but even he would get cheers from the crowd

So I imagine Bostonians will treat Brady well also. Hell... he gave them 6 Super Bowl titles. If not for that pesky Eli Manning he would've had 8.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So I imagine Bostonians will treat Brady well also. Hell... he gave them 6 Super Bowl titles. If not for that pesky Eli Manning he would've had 8.
    Well gotta be realistic it’s not like there won’t be a smattering of boos for Brady leaving but Boston will never forget what he did. Now if he chooses to go into the hall of fame with anything other than a patriots jersey that could incite riots. I saw Clemens strike out 16 Red Sox at Fenway In a blue jays uniform, during the game he got some boos but at the end of the game all of Fenway cheered him.

Thread Information