Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Today In Biden Land

‘This Case Was Never About Fraud’: Federal Judge Refers ‘Kraken’ Attorneys, Including Lin Wood and Sidney Powell, for ‘Possible Suspension or Disbarment’

A federal judge sent a strong message to each of the so-called “Kraken” lawyers behind litigation to upend the 2020 election, ordering that they be referred for a professional conduct investigation and “possible suspension or disbarment.” The attorneys include pro-Trump lawyers Lin Wood and Sidney Powell.

“A Historic and Profound Abuse of the Judicial Process”
    Full of indignation and spanning 110 pages, U.S. District Judge Linda Parker‘s ruling reads like a treatise on the judiciary’s role in protecting the democratic process.
    “This lawsuit represents a historic and profound abuse of the judicial process,” Judge Parker wrote in her opinion and order. “It is one thing to take on the charge of vindicating rights associated with an allegedly fraudulent election. It is another to take on the charge of deceiving a federal court and the American people into believing that rights were infringed, without regard to whether any laws or rights were in fact violated. This is what happened here.”

[...]

Parker’s pronouncement was similarly unequivocal that “this case was never about fraud,” a phrase she emphasized in italics.
    t was about undermining the People’s faith in our democracy and debasing the judicial process to do so,” she added, in her own emphasis.
    “While there are many arenas—including print, television, and social media—where protestations, conjecture, and speculation may be advanced, such expressions are neither permitted nor welcomed in a court of law,” she added in her ruling.

https://lawandcrime.com/2020-electio...or-disbarment/

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58349010

Nasty stuff at kabul airport, many dead, probably inevitable given the way things turned out... Maybe there was always going to be a mass crowd at the airport whenever the westerners decided to remove their armies, maybe it could have been done better, keeping more soldiers at bagram airfield during this evacuation time?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

20 years in long enough, sick and tire of war.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58349010

Nasty stuff at kabul airport, many dead, probably inevitable given the way things turned out... Maybe there was always going to be a mass crowd at the airport whenever the westerners decided to remove their armies, maybe it could have been done better, keeping more soldiers at bagram airfield during this evacuation time?

It turns out Bagram is a one and a half hour drive from Kabul on roads that offer endless opportunities to ambush or bomb vehicles. You would need many thousands of troops to prevent it being a shooting/bombing gallery for whoever wanted to have a go at Americans and many thousands more to protect those thousands, then many thousands more (at least seven thousand) just to protect the airbase. So overnight you have to go from two thousand troops to tens of thousands and they're straight in the middle of a shooting war, busloads of American civilians being bombed and so on.

The military advised getting people out from Kabul airport was the least worst option so that's what they did.

There's a whole bunch of other stuff that I'm forgetting but I can't remember where I read this now. Anyway it wasn't a good idea.

Never mind, the Taliban have things under control:

https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/...12686475972614

Provided the fucker can count he'll tell the rest of their brains trust that they need to do what America wants or they're absolutely fucked. That'll get the remaining few hundred people out at some point.

I think Biden should appoint a Fed chair who promises to run US monetary policy according to literal interpretation of the Bible.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In other Biden news.

This is behind a paywall so if you don't use noscript you're not going to be able to read it. Here's a relevant chunk:

Biden campaigned on a proposal to increase taxes on the wealthy by roughly $3.5 trillion over a decade. Nobody in Washington currently believes he will sign a tax hike anywhere close to that magnitude. The current predictions floating around — Politico’s tax newsletter is one publication that has used this estimate — peg the total at around a trillion, give or take.
    The most striking thing about the decision by moderate Democrats to scale back Biden’s plan by some three-quarters is that we have no idea what the rationale is.
    According to The Hill, the lobbyists have argued that Biden’s plan “would slow the U.S. recovery from the coronavirus recession.” It’s not clear what basis they have for this conclusion. If mainstream economists believe Biden’s tax hikes would imperil the recovery, they aren’t saying so publicly. (As economists like Larry Summers did when they loudly warned that Biden’s rescue plan would overheat the economy.)
    When the conservative American Enterprise Institute ran the numbers on Biden’s full tax-increase proposal, it found a negligible effect on economic growth: reducing GDP 0.16 percent over the next decade, increasing GDP by 0.19 percent in the following decade, and reducing it by 0.18 percent over the longer run. All those numbers are so tiny they are rounding errors, tantamount to zero.
    One of the most “persuasive” arguments, at least judging from its results, is the lobbying campaign to preserve a notorious loophole called “stepped-up basis,” or, more colloquially, “the angel of death loophole.” Here’s how this loophole works: Normally, if you sell an asset, like a stock, you pay tax on the profit. If you bought $1,000 worth of GM stock, and sold it for $2,000, you’d pay taxes on the $1,000 capital gain. However, if you die and pass the asset on to your heirs, then all the gains that occurred before you die are wiped from the books (hence, “angel of death”). Your heirs will only pay tax on the gain that occurred after they inherited the asset.
    This exemption allows half of all capital gains to avoid any taxation, ever. The loophole is considered so ridiculous that conservatives often propose eliminating it as an alternative to increasing the estate tax. (Jeb Bush and Mitt Romney have both advocated eliminating the angel of death loophole.) Biden is proposing to eliminate the loophole, with the exception of a generous $1 million exclusion. (Most capital gains belong to staggeringly wealthy fortunes worth well over $1 million.)
    Former Democratic senator Heidi Heitkamp is leading a lobbying campaign on behalf of wealthy benefactors looking to save the angel of death loophole. Heitkamp tells The Hill, with a straight face, that the loophole is vital to protect “an emerging entrepreneurial class within the Hispanic community and within the African American community, [who] won’t be able to take advantage of these tax rules” if it is eliminated.
    Biden’s proposal includes protections for family-run businesses. That does not satisfy Heitkamp, who argues (in The Hill’s wording) that “many Americans may think that wealthy and well-connected people will most likely benefit from any exemptions.” And so, in the name of Americans who are cynical about well-connected people benefiting from special exemptions, Heitkamp insists we keep in place a notorious loophole that almost exclusively benefits massively wealthy heirs.
    Heitkampf is also so committed to combating cynicism that she has declined to disclose the identities of her group’s donors. We can probably assume that they’re mostly the hard-scrabble Black and Latino small business owners she talks about so movingly.
    In place of any well-articulated public rationale, the moderate Democrats have instead put forward a transparently disingenuous pretext that their goal is to sign the infrastructure bill as fast as possible. The ten House Democrats, led by Josh Gottheimer, have insisted their goal in opposing the House budget is to get shovels into the ground as quickly as possible. “No Labels,” the anti-partisan group funded by wealthy financiers, is running pretending Gottheimer’s clique is supporting Biden’s agenda, emphasizing the infrastructure bill and making absolutely no mention of the tax dispute. Many reporters have repeated Gottheimer’s account of his motives at face value.
    The Hill’s less-blinkered account, on the other hand, frankly notes, “Business interests have Democratic allies in Sens. Joe Manchin (W.Va.) and Kyrsten Sinema (Ariz.) and the group of House moderates led by Rep. Josh Gottheimer (N.J.) — all have expressed concerns about the size of the spending plan and potential tax hikes.”
    Since budget rules require any permanent costs be paid for, and Biden doesn’t want to increase taxes on households earning less than $400,000 a year, the size of his domestic policy legacy will be determined by how much new taxes on the rich he can get through Congress. His proposal is perfectly ample to finance a historic legacy. A handful of moderate Democrats are starving that legacy very, very quietly. If they had good reasons for their position, you would probably know what they were.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...-moderate.html

In other lobbyist/bullshit propaganda news:

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status...44019087204352

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

You went "earlier" again. I didn't say "earlier." I said better planning. In fact, it could've been done later, if that's what it would take to make sure the planning was as good as it could be. The U.S. had been there for two decades. A few more weeks wouldn't have mattered much in the grand scheme of things.

BTW... public opinion may be flawed due to lack of knowledge of some people... but it remains a measuring stick against which all Presidents have and will continue to be measured. If the public at least had the perception that a withdrawal was being meticulously and carefully planned... even the inevitable messes would be more excused.

Biden's not Trump. For that we're both glad. But I'm not gonna defend every single decision Biden makes... just like I never condemned every single move Trump made. I like to think that makes me objective.
    I don't know you could plan it any better. If you mean by better planning that everybody gets out without a scratch then that would be great but that's not real life. Deciding what to do in the various possible scenarios is probabilistic. Any option you pick has a chance of going wrong in different ways to the option you eventually pick.

No... that's not what I meant by better planning. But thanks for the chance to clear that up. Better planning is better planning. I don't have a background on military evacuations from countries being taken over by hostile forces. But I'm sure plenty of bright minds in the government do. Aside from the media sensationalizing everything that happens on the world stage... it's generally accepted that this particular withdrawal was pretty much botched and sloppily done. Of course there will be the usual PR damage control to try and minimize the damage done. But personally, I know more than a few people with personal ties to both civilians and/or military personnel who served in Afghanistan... and in general they're not too happy with the way things were done.

Eight months into a new Presidency, I'm disappointed that Biden has given Trumpers new ammo (legitimate or not). Now it's time to look forward and hope things go better in the heap of other issues facing Biden and his administration.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

You went "earlier" again. I didn't say "earlier." I said better planning. In fact, it could've been done later, if that's what it would take to make sure the planning was as good as it could be. The U.S. had been there for two decades. A few more weeks wouldn't have mattered much in the grand scheme of things.

BTW... public opinion may be flawed due to lack of knowledge of some people... but it remains a measuring stick against which all Presidents have and will continue to be measured. If the public at least had the perception that a withdrawal was being meticulously and carefully planned... even the inevitable messes would be more excused.

Biden's not Trump. For that we're both glad. But I'm not gonna defend every single decision Biden makes... just like I never condemned every single move Trump made. I like to think that makes me objective.
    I don't know you could plan it any better. If you mean by better planning that everybody gets out without a scratch then that would be great but that's not real life. Deciding what to do in the various possible scenarios is probabilistic. Any option you pick has a chance of going wrong in different ways to the option you eventually pick.

No... that's not what I meant by better planning. But thanks for the chance to clear that up. Better planning is better planning. I don't have a background on military evacuations from countries being taken over by hostile forces. But I'm sure plenty of bright minds in the government do. Aside from the media sensationalizing everything that happens on the world stage... it's generally accepted that this particular withdrawal was pretty much botched and sloppily done. Of course there will be the usual PR damage control to try and minimize the damage done. But personally, I know more than a few people with personal ties to both civilians and/or military personnel who served in Afghanistan... and in general they're not too happy with the way things were done.

Eight months into a new Presidency, I'm disappointed that Biden has given Trumpers new ammo (legitimate or not). Now it's time to look forward and hope things go better in the heap of other issues facing Biden and his administration.

I'm sure there are a bunch of people who think it was handled badly. But all of these "there had to have been a better way" people fail to articulate what the better way would have been. If there'd have been a bunch of obvious stuff that could have been done better you can bet the GOP would have been hitting Biden over the head with it relentlessly but the best they can come up with is that he shouldn't have given Bagram up even though the military told him that was the least worst way to do things.

And I'm pretty sure when things went tits up they immediately put the best people they had on working out how to evacuate. There will be things they could have done better but I don't think there'll be anything really significant. The big decisions -- leave Bagram, let the Taliban handle security in Kabul and so on all seem to have been the least worst options.

Here's somebody with relevant experience of overseeing an American evacuation from a hostile country on what she thought of the whole thing. Keep scrolling:

https://twitter.com/lizzyshackelfor/...50982630330368

Anyway, proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance:

https://twitter.com/eds_manifesto/st...20336906104836

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Before this summer, in other words, it was possible to read all the grim inspector general reports and document dumps on Afghanistan, count yourself a cynic about the war effort and still imagine that America got something for all that spending, no matter how much was spent on Potemkin installations or siphoned off by pederast warlords or recirculated to Northern Virginia contractors.

Now, though, we know that in terms of actual staying power, all our nation-building efforts couldn’t even match what the Soviet Union managed in its dotage.

Yet that knowledge has not prevented a revival of the spirit that led us to this sorry pass. I don’t mean the straightforward criticisms of the Biden administration’s handling of the withdrawal. I mean the way that in both the media coverage and the political reaction, reasonable tactical critiques have often been woven together with anti-withdrawal arguments that are self-deceiving, dubious or risible.

The argument, for instance, that the situation in Afghanistan was reasonably stable and the war’s death toll negligible before the Trump administration started moving toward withdrawal: In fact, only U.S. casualties were low, while Afghan military and civilian casualties were nearing 15,000 annually, and the Taliban were clearly gaining ground — suggesting that we would have needed periodic surges of U.S. forces, and periodic spikes in U.S. deaths, to prevent a slow-motion version of what’s happened quickly as we’ve left.

Or the argument that an indefinite occupation was morally necessary to nurture the shoots of Afghan liberalism: If after 20 years of effort and $2,000,000,000,000, the theocratic alternative to liberalism actually takes over a country fasterthan in its initial conquest, that’s a sign that our moral achievements were outweighed by the moral costs of corruption, incompetence and drone campaigns.

Thus you have generals and grand strategists who presided over quagmire, folly and defeat fanning out across the television networks and opinion pages to champion another 20 years in Afghanistan. You have the return of the media’s liberal hawks and centrist Pentagon stenographers, unchastened by their own credulous contributions to the retreat of American power over the past 20 years. And you have Republicans who postured as cold-eyed realists in the Trump presidency suddenly turning back into eager crusaders, excited to own the Biden Democrats and relive the brief post-9/11 period when the mainstream media treated their party with deference rather than contempt.

Again, Biden deserves plenty of criticism. But like the Trump administration in its wiser moments, he is trying to disentangle America from a set of failed policies that many of his loudest critics long supported.
    Our botched withdrawal is the punctuation mark on a general catastrophe, a failure so broad that it should demand purges in the Pentagon, the shamed retirement of innumerable hawkish talking heads, the razing of various NGOs and international-studies programs and the dissolution of countless consultancies and military contractors.
    Small wonder, then, that making Biden the singular scapegoat seems like a more attractive path. But if the only aspect of this catastrophe that our leaders remember is what went wrong in August 2021, then we’ll have learned nothing except to always double down on failure, and the next disaster will be worse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/31/o...tan-biden.html

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never made Biden the "singular scapegoat", for the record. I think the Afghanistan 20-year chapter is way too complicated for that. In order to truly and objectively assess every phase of the Afghanistan chapter, from beginning to inglorious end... you'd have to include the "why" the U.S. went in there in the first place. This of course, is a touchy, sensitive topic to discuss... if only because of the many American lives that were lost there and all the sacrifices made by American families throughout the years. But discussed it should... because hopefully it'll provide lessons for the future.

I would've thought that the U.S. would've learned from the futility of the prior Soviet invasion/occupation attempts on Afghanistan. Even the unpopular and not very successful war in Vietnam. But I guess not. The reasons for invading a country can always be subjected to very good second-guessing. I understand after 9/11 there was a wave of emotion and patriotism that made even George W. Bush look like a genius (he was anything but). So invading Afghanistan in the hopes of... of... of... (I honestly don't know what they were hoping for) probably didn't meet with too much public opinion resistance. But as we all know... days turned into weeks, which turned into months, which turned into years. And if we must judge the effectiveness of the gargantuan efforts put forth and sacrifices made... and we use the same standard afforded to endeavors in industry or any other aspect in life, where it's the end result that matters... the whole thing was an abject failure. The Taliban just had to wait it out... and now they have the run of the country again. Maybe... just maybe... another approach would've been to devote all that time and effort to strengthening other aspects of our national security, such as intelligence (domestic and abroad), anti-terrorism strategies, etc. But again... all of this is second-guessing.

Biden was given the short end of the stick and was bound to get the criticism he's received. But we all realize the Afghanistan chapter had to end some time... and someone was going to pick the short straw.

I think it's time for some honest-to-goodness, introspective, intelligent discussions on exactly WHAT the role of the U.S. should be in this new age, regarding foreign policy. I think it's time to reexamine the old view of the U.S. as "The World's Policeman", from a practical point of view, as well as moral, and global perspectives.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's no chance of any of that happening though is there. The GOP won't want to spend time talking about the first nineteen plus years of the war, which they fully supported, or the first six months of the twentieth year after Trump signed the withdrawl agreement, which they also supported. They're going to want to talk about the last three weeks and nothing else. When they get control of either the House or Senate in 2022 they're going to launch dozens of Benghazi like investigations to try and fuck Biden up for the 2024 election. The first nineteen and a half years will be forgotten about.

The Democrats will want to get some kind of investigation done before the midterm elections. They'll want to cover the first nineteen and a half years and show that once the Afghan army collapsed that a messy withdrawl was inevitable. Let's see who gets the type and the quantity of media coverage and influence on public opinion that they're after.

My prediction: two years of sensationalised Benghazi-like bullshit will completely wipe out the public's goldfish-like memory of any factual stuff that came out in the pre-midterm investigations and the wrong lessons will be learnt leaving America free to launch an equally stupid and self destructive invasion of somewhere else in a few decades from now.

The South Vietnamese army, the Iraqi army and the Afghan army all fell apart in no time. The South Vietnamese army actually lasted over two years. The other two fell apart against ragtag armies in pickup trucks armed with AKs in a matter of days. All three attempts at army/nation building were accompanied by decades of lies from the top down, all the senior politicians and military are complicit in the ongoing loss of thousands of American lives on a pack of lies, not to mention tens of thousands wounded and millions of dead foreign nonentities. And not a single person has ever been or will ever be held accountable.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The bullshit mountain after the midterms and before the 2024 election will be created from the withdrawl from Afghanistan over the past few weeks.

The bullshit mountain from the end of the last election until the midterms is being created from bullshit claims that the election was stolen. A reminder that the people creating the bullshit, at least the vast majority of them, know that it's bullshit and don't care that they're destroying democracy in America by doing it:

https://twitter.com/funder/status/1432768038466621442

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty bleak outlook. But one... all in all... that is totally deserved given past history. If politics was the poison that ruined good intentions in the past... it's certainly become magnified given the last four years. People don't think right and wrong, like they at least made it seem like they used to. People think in one-upmanship and my Party is better than your Party. I've plenty of discussions with Trumpers, even outside this forum, where I've seen time and again that logic goes absolutely nowhere. This is why stolen election lies get swallowed hook, line, and sinker. This is why a previously unthinkable event, like a forced breach of the Capitol by a vicious mob, becomes the subject of debate along predictable Party lines. To watch and hear Congresspeople, paid by taxpayers money, call January 6th a peaceful demonstration... is to realize just how far down the rabbit hole this society has fallen. Which is why I refuse to identify fully with any Party. They have proven incapable of objective thought all the way up to the highest levels. Credibility is a word of the past. Democrats had four years to constructively prepare for 2020... and IMO they did a horseshit job. For sure Biden is an upgrade from Trump. But that's about as far as I'm willing to go with that. When the bar is Trump... a trained sub-human primate is an improvement.

So yeah... your bleak outlook is justifiable. Surely Afghanistan will offer few, if any, lessons learned. History will repeat itself ad nauseam.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...id=mailsignout

Gee... THIS is heartening. Not that anyone was expecting anything different.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...id=mailsignout

Gee... THIS is heartening. Not that anyone was expecting anything different.
    & RightWingers will easily forget it is the mainstream media deriding him with headlines like:

Baker On Afghanistan Fallout For Biden: 'It Has Damaged Him Politically'

Afghan War Veteran: "I Will Never Forgive My Country For This'

They can easily spin it...but they aren't. Headlines to videos articles, columns like:
    * President Biden Faces Backlash For Afghanistan Withdrawal
    *War-Thirsty Media Demanding Another War

Such headlines aren't needed from the right when the left hollars out HEY! LOOK AT THIS TITLE!!
    Nicolle Wallace On What Everyone Got Wrong About Biden

Again, MSNBC.

When I went to Ron Paul Liberty Report? He was the closest thing I saw to objective reporting:
    Weekly Update --- Afghanistan: A Tragically Stupid War Comes to a Tragic End

If you peruse any video, this is the one I would reccomend. it is only 4 minutes and Paul derides the origin of the war, the weakness of Trump to do nothing and then a tragic pullout
    What is hurtful IMO is the comments of how Rons' supporters dont give a damn that he said he would have done the same thing...Or as he was asked in 2008 how would he end the war on terror he replie: Just Bring them Home.

We all know there was a never a plan and before Osama's death he even stated they were most patient because they have nothing so when USA does tire and grow weary....they will be waiting - they aint got shit else to do!
    So whenever we pull out - they would be laying in the wings...

He's dealing with an awful pullout- unlike when Reagan pulled out and didnt fight when our Marines were murdured in Lebanon...the Nation was not polarized with ideology back then- so we all came together...not anymore - it is ALL Biden's fault. All Democrat's planning the fall of our nation.

It is Biden forcing us to be vaccinated.
    It is Biden continuing the war on heterosexuals
    It is Biden running up the deficit (cause now they care)

When the Vatican stated they wanted to deny him communion? Damn...
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ion/ar-AAL2Chm

I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers drop into the 30% range...as we don't need FOX, OAN, NEWSMAX to tell us this...all of the above is MSNBC alone!!
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 09-03-2021 at 02:24 PM.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information