Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
This is the most likely reason the Taliban are playing nice:

https://twitter.com/aahmady/status/1427883009164955649
This is a pretty good thread, good posting...

So what will China do here? Surely they will be concerned about the Taliban inciting stuff in west China maybe? And the Chinese do like their belt and road iniative but if the Taliban reportedly bugger all money so surely the Chinese can't loan em that much, but they also have a lot invested in the famously calm Pakistan and if the Taliban start rabble rousing there maybe the Chinese will pay/help them to behave?.. This can't be good for China though, which of course would be good for America.

Also in continuation of the mindless ramblings @Kirkland Laing there is a Canadian election coming up and the economy is of course the big talking point, now you know about this stuff is there any reputable economist gits(bit like krugman) who write about the Canadian economy that you know of? I'm as clueless about these matters as usual.

China don't give a shit about authoritarian regimes and will happily deal with the Taliban. Lots of lithium and other minerals in Afghanistan, China will want first dibs on all of it. The Taliban are basically a creature of the Pakistan intelligence service, they're not going to do anything to upset Pakistan, China or anybody else. They'll be looking to make commercial deals with both of them and gain at least two allies. The last thing they want to do is upset either of them.

Canadian politics don't really matter as you have nice moderate parties and nice moderate policies. The liberals get in for a while and shift things a little to the left then the conservatives get in and shift things a little to the right and they just basically take turns at running the country. No drama and good results.

You fuckers dodged a bullet by not being a big enough market for Rupert Murdoch to turn up and fuck your politics up. Out of the English speaking countries you, Ireland and New Zealand got lucky. Australia, Britain and especially the United States got the poison. You did have Conrad Black but he's nothing compared to what Murdoch does to your politics.
Aha fair point.. So the Taliban are sort of buggered and bent over a barrel by the superpowers?... China can bail them out a bit and get mining and the Americans have all their money and can withhold it until they get their guys out or whatever they want..

And yes luckily Canadian politics and news is a good bit calmer than America and the Conservatives seem pretty reasonable this time round too(he's talking about a carbon tax)... I do worry the crazies are making Their way over though, I've noticed an increase in some of the more extreme ramblings from some people... Although none of them have much of a problem with me being an immigrant which is nice............. :S