Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Joshua franco-andrew moloney 2 controversy gives boxing another black eye

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joshua franco-andrew moloney 2 controversy gives boxing another black eye

This was a disgrace!
    As bad as VAR in football has become.

https://www.ringtv.com/613363-commen...her-black-eye/

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joshua franco-andrew moloney 2 controversy gives boxing another black eye

I wonder if there is any legal action that Maloney can take. I feel so bad for him

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joshua franco-andrew moloney 2 controversy gives boxing another black eye

He should. Don't let them off the hook just like that. Make it uncomfortable for them... it's the only way to make them correct these horrendous deficiencies moving forward.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bit split on this last night and without a doubt feel terrible for Maloney with the shoddy way it unfolded. But this really revealed a couple of grey areas and the absolute 100 percent instant certainty with the entire promotion and network for house fighter bugged me. Felt like it was one of those terrible 'breaks' that happens and once it concluded they tried to work it backwards in a way. No doubt whatsoever Maloney ruled the 1st round and was on fire but the declarative 'there were NO headbutts at all' was really off the mark. It wasn't accurate. Best I can tell the ref issued a total of 3 warnings for 'watch the heads' and at the 1 minute mark and you clearly see Franco pull up and react. The eye was slammed shut coming out for the 2nd. Not saying the jabs weren't landing but so were head grinds etc. It'll definitely get reviewed but is their any doubt if roles were reversed that Franco gets none of that lobbying. Almost like a cut comes from a ruled HB, but the fighter goes on to worsen it with punches. I've seen calls go both ways there, ruled tko and NC and all were controversial. Either way it sucks for both guys here. There was nothing nefarious just a real f'd up scenario. I know that's not a popular opinion I get that

Couple things they should correct imo...to use active same night refs to act as the replay judge with final word is not good. They need a third party with no connection to the inner workings. Refs travel and work together and when we're talking about over ruling an official call which is not something we really don't want to see it leaves open way too many gaps and can be pretty arbitrary and in worse case, crooked. Maybe if a ref gets 3 reversed calls they should be required to do some CE or such. If only we could do it with judges too.

Promotion and Bob friggin Arum should never be allowed to literally circle and debate with any official doing a review at their table. No pressure here fellas I'll just get right up in your face and argue while commission officials are deciding the careers of two fighters. And reviews should start the moment a ref makes a call ? to not only avoid ludicrous 28 minute lulls to make a decision but also to be able to address it between rounds if need be.
    Last edited by Spicoli; 11-16-2020 at 01:27 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If boxing's really serious about replays, then embrace the 21st century. Unobtrusive cameras can be placed in various angles for just such a need. Other sports have pylon cams, goalpost cams, helmet cams, hell... there's nothing they can't attach a camera to. Last night was really, really bad for Moloney. Career-altering. It's not fair to just shrug it off and move on. Yeah, I agree... vulture promoters and overzealous commentators should be held at bay or on a leash so as to not pressure or disturb replay officials. But the annoyance was more than understandable. That's why I would favor Moloney taking it a step further. At least make it uncomfortable for the powers-that-be and force their hand into making meaningful advancements in their replay feature. That is... if they really mean to continue using it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's hard to believe that such poor decisions still stain the Boxing world. Franco was punched not once, but several times and his eye was caused by a PUNCH!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

australia was robbed of another champion
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    He would of lost it in his first defense
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten Apple View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    He would of lost it in his first defense
    against who? was still robbed of his second world belt
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Thread Information