Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo vs Callum Smith on Dec 19th

The Ryder fight in which he could not keep Ryder at bay was a example he had his back against the ropes! Canelo is levels above Ryder and Smith just looked terrible.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    Alvarez looks better and better. He dealt with a massive height and reach disadvantage like it was nothing and his defence is a massive plus point for him these days. Very impressive. I wonder if he'll actually fight Beterbiev anytime soon.
    canelo would knock out artur
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    Alvarez looks better and better. He dealt with a massive height and reach disadvantage like it was nothing and his defence is a massive plus point for him these days. Very impressive. I wonder if he'll actually fight Beterbiev anytime soon.

Let's have it. I'm sure Artur's available.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo is brilliant to watch! He just went in there and bullied Smith with no respect for Callum's physical attributes. it was pretty masterful.

Meat fiasco aside, I think the Bryd scorecard has pitted many people against Canelo and all the claims of favouritism, gifts, advantages that comes with his power statusas boxings biggest draw.

I don't really understand people's hate of a guy who celarly boxes beautifully, puts on a show each time, faces good opposition and steps up divisions giving up any physical advantages he might have enjoyed at the lower weights. That should be applauded by boxing fans who are time and again left disappointed by boxers not fighting the best and promotors protecting their cash cows.

Maybe it's the fact he isn;t an English speaker either, but Canelo doesn't seem to be a brash, trash talker and living up the god life too much. He seems to do his talking in the ring.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Props to Canelo. But we do have to acknowledge Smith isn’t very good, Canelo showed what Ryder already showed. There is a reason Canelo chose him. I told you that before the fight.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
    Canelo is brilliant to watch! He just went in there and bullied Smith with no respect for Callum's physical attributes. it was pretty masterful.

Meat fiasco aside, I think the Bryd scorecard has pitted many people against Canelo and all the claims of favouritism, gifts, advantages that comes with his power statusas boxings biggest draw.

I don't really understand people's hate of a guy who celarly boxes beautifully, puts on a show each time, faces good opposition and steps up divisions giving up any physical advantages he might have enjoyed at the lower weights. That should be applauded by boxing fans who are time and again left disappointed by boxers not fighting the best and promotors protecting their cash cows.

Maybe it's the fact he isn;t an English speaker either, but Canelo doesn't seem to be a brash, trash talker and living up the god life too much. He seems to do his talking in the ring.
    I think as a person, Canelo is probably fine. I don’t think he himself as a fighter ducks people, but there is no doubt that he has been on the side of many fortunate decisions as well as get to call the shots for all of his fights.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post

Let's have it. I'm sure Artur's available.
    is he? he seems to be spending his time inactive & with the adam deines of the world. artur is getting to that age where you'll have an excuse to fall back on when canelo knocks him out
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

I think as a person, Canelo is probably fine. I don’t think he himself as a fighter ducks people, but there is no doubt that he has been on the side of many fortunate decisions as well as get to call the shots for all of his fights.
    "Many fortunate decisions?".
    Of course there is the disputed draw with Golovkin and if Byrd had put in a sensible score I don't think people would be half as partisan toward him as they are. The second GGG fight I wouldn't say was a fortunate decision, I think he just about edged that one.

Not sure what other fights he was forunate to win. I don't recall the Lara fight per-se but from what I read it was a "close" fight one a tough one to score.
    But given Canelo is the ultimate A-side fighter, and we know since the dawn of time the A-fighter is always favoured, and it's hardly like it's unique to Canelo in that regard, a dodgy scorecard on few occasions in over 40 fights isn't loads of fortune.

And what does calling the shots for his fights mean? Doesn't that always happen, again for the A-side fighter? Not unique to Canelo, it's just that he's the poster boy, so he gets more stick than the rest.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

"Many fortunate decisions?".
    Of course there is the disputed draw with Golovkin and if Byrd had put in a sensible score I don't think people would be half as partisan toward him as they are. The second GGG fight I wouldn't say was a fortunate decision, I think he just about edged that one.

Not sure what other fights he was forunate to win. I don't recall the Lara fight per-se but from what I read it was a "close" fight one a tough one to score.
    But given Canelo is the ultimate A-side fighter, and we know since the dawn of time the A-fighter is always favoured, and it's hardly like it's unique to Canelo in that regard, a dodgy scorecard on few occasions in over 40 fights isn't loads of fortune.

And what does calling the shots for his fights mean? Doesn't that always happen, again for the A-side fighter? Not unique to Canelo, it's just that he's the poster boy, so he gets more stick than the rest.
    I thought he lost to Trout. Not a bad decision but I thought he lost. Many people thought he lost to Lara (I had Canelo winning). A draw scorecard against Floyd that was completely absurd. A draw against GGG that he definitely should have lost. The second fight with GGG was fortunate also because I think 85% of media and fans (there was actually data on this) had GGG winning or a draw. So on my scorecards, he has 4 losses. It’s only because of his stardom that he only has the 1 loss and one card was obviously very problematic on that one.

Also, I get he is the A side and calls the shots, but he didn’t become the A side by being the best. He became the A side by being the best Mexican fighter in the world and has a whole country backing him. Because of this, he makes a ton of money which in turn has allowed him to jump around weights and demand hydration clauses as well as other random stipulations. I have always said that if Canelo didn’t have the backing he had, he would have at least a few more losses and wouldn’t be nearly as highly regarded.

For what it’s worth, I do think he’s a very good fighter, but definitely overhyped.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Callum Smith took the money knowing full well he was too big for the weight and too weak to compete. I should have seen it with the Ryder performance but thought he was just unmotivated.

The Smith that fought Groves would have made more of a fight but that was over 2 years ago.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even when beating Groves, Callum Smith looked like he wouldnt stay at super middleweight very long
    Last edited by sanatogen; 12-27-2020 at 04:51 PM. Reason: weight class is wrong

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo Alvarez to face Avni Yildirim on Feb. 27, hoping for two more fights in 2021

Boxing fans won’t have to wait long for Canelo Alvarez’s next fight.

The WBC and WBA super middleweight champion will face WBC mandatory challenger Avni Yildirim on Feb. 27, his manager and trainer Eddy Reynoso told the Los Angeles Times. While the Times also reported the fight will take place in Alvarez’s birthplace of Guadalajara, Mexico, Reynoso later tweeted a clarification that the location has not yet been determined.

If Guadalajara (or anywhere else in Mexico) is the pick, the fight will be Alvarez’s first in the country since 2011, a span of 17 fights.

Canelo Alvarez has big plans for 2021
    Alvarez is coming off a dominant win over Callum Smith last weekend to unify the super middleweight titles, taking Smith’s WBA (Super) belt and the vacant WBC belt. Despite going the distance and winning by unanimous decision, Alvarez is now reportedly on track to lace up his gloves just two months later.

Such a short wait is a welcome change from the lay-off Alvarez had between his previous two fights, with more than 13 months elapsing between his wins over Sergey Kovalev in November 2019 and Smith last Saturday. That was mostly due to an untenable financial situation between Alvarez and DAZN, which eventually went away when the boxer was released from his record contract.

Should Alvarez win and remain unscathed, Reynoso told the Times that he intends to fight at 168 pounds on Cinco De Mayo and Mexican Independence Day in 2021, which would lead to lay-offs of three and four months, respectively.

Possible opponents reportedly include WBO champion Billy Joe Saunders, IBC champion Caleb Plant and Gennadiy Golovkin, who would have to move up in weight to make the trilogy happen.

In Yildirim, Alvarez will be facing an opponent in an extended hiatus of his own, as the Turkish challenger hasn’t fought since losing a title challenge against then-WBC super middleweight champ Anthony Dirrell in February 2019. The 21-2 Yildirim lost by 10th-round technical decision.

Since then, Yildirim has tested positive for two performance-enhancing drugs, but avoided a suspension after the WBC determined he didn’t take the substances intentionally.

Yildirim figures to be a massive underdog, though he’s already a financial winner by virtue of landing a fight against boxing’s biggest draw. Yildirim reportedly had a right to compete for the WBC belt as mandatory challenge, but agreed to step aside on the condition he faced the winner of Alvarez-Smith.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/canelo-a...043731383.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Canelo Alvarez to face Avni Yildirim on Feb. 27, hoping for two more fights in 2021

The WBC and WBA super middleweight champion will face WBC mandatory challenger Avni Yildirim on Feb. 27, his manager and trainer Eddy Reynoso told the Los Angeles Times. While the Times also reported the fight will take place in Alvarez’s birthplace of Guadalajara, Mexico, Reynoso later tweeted a clarification that the location has not yet been determined.

If Guadalajara (or anywhere else in Mexico) is the pick, the fight will be Alvarez’s first in the country since 2011, a span of 17 fights.

Alvarez is coming off a dominant win over Callum Smith last weekend to unify the super middleweight titles, taking Smith’s WBA (Super) belt and the vacant WBC belt. Despite going the distance and winning by unanimous decision, Alvarez is now reportedly on track to lace up his gloves just two months later.

Such a short wait is a welcome change from the lay-off Alvarez had between his previous two fights, with more than 13 months elapsing between his wins over Sergey Kovalev in November 2019 and Smith last Saturday. That was mostly due to an untenable financial situation between Alvarez and DAZN, which eventually went away when the boxer was released from his record contract.

Should Alvarez win and remain unscathed, Reynoso told the Times that he intends to fight at 168 pounds on Cinco De Mayo and Mexican Independence Day in 2021, which would lead to lay-offs of three and four months, respectively.

Possible opponents reportedly include WBO champion Billy Joe Saunders, IBC champion Caleb Plant and Gennadiy Golovkin, who would have to move up in weight to make the trilogy happen.

In Yildirim, Alvarez will be facing an opponent in an extended hiatus of his own, as the Turkish challenger hasn’t fought since losing a title challenge against then-WBC super middleweight champ Anthony Dirrell in February 2019. The 21-2 Yildirim lost by 10th-round technical decision.

Since then, Yildirim has tested positive for two performance-enhancing drugs, but avoided a suspension after the WBC determined he didn’t take the substances intentionally.

Yildirim figures to be a massive underdog, though he’s already a financial winner by virtue of landing a fight against boxing’s biggest draw. Yildirim reportedly had a right to compete for the WBC belt as mandatory challenge, but agreed to step aside on the condition he faced the winner of Alvarez-Smith.

So Yildirim hasn’t fought since he lost nearly 2 years ago and tested positive for PED’s and he’s the WBC Mandatory ?
    Now that’s what pisses me off. But it’s Canelo that’ll get the flack.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

So Yildirim hasn’t fought since he lost nearly 2 years ago and tested positive for PED’s and he’s the WBC Mandatory ?

It's the WBC mandatory for Canelo........................................ The W...B...C.

I won't give Canelo any flak on that, although I'm sure he's more than happy to comply with the mandatory.

But the We Blow Canelo ... World Boxing Council?? They have a track record with Canelo that needs no further explanation here.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

It's the WBC mandatory for Canelo........................................ The W...B...C.

I won't give Canelo any flak on that, although I'm sure he's more than happy to comply with the mandatory.

But the We Blow Canelo ... World Boxing Council?? They have a track record with Canelo that needs no further explanation here.
    I hear what you’re saying, so he’s got the WBC in his pocket.
    Well if any boxer can dictate to arguably the biggest belts in boxing , then there’s no hope.
    I think it suits the WBC to be aligned to Canelo and vice versa.
    It’s not like the small fry WBO and Warren , it’s a real organisation.
    My thoughts on this are, get this mando out the way quickly and then fight a real fight.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Thread Information