Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chip off the ol' block? Or failure to launch?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Chip off the ol' block? Or failure to launch?

We must remember they are not there father's they will be judged by there father's standards by most boxing fans.
    Most have big boots to fill some have done it but most will not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like what I seen so far in Tim Tszyu. He seems to have good skills and a real desire to be champion. I think he will be. He destroyed Morgan and dominated Jeff Horn. I'm expecting some what more of a challenge from Dennis Hogan. But still expect Tim to come out on top
    The wicked shall die by there own wickedness.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    We must remember they are not there father's they will be judged by there father's standards by most boxing fans.
    True, but one can question how do legends produce such mediocre children? Watching Ronald Hearns live- he looked so ordinary, it looked as if I could make it the distance with him.

Watching Aaron Pryor Jr, I kinda knew he wouldn't make it anywhere near the top. My reason for stating this is when I met him at IBHOF he seemed like a really nice kid. He's listed at 6'4. For me it was his demeanor. Nothing like the bitter childhood his dad grew up in.
    Not stating every fighter should look like they got a mean streak in them -BUT! if they aren't quick with hands, display a high level of knowledge, then what's left?

Jr. is just a nice guy with height & reach advantage, but no killer instinct like his father.

I forgot that Buddy's son boxes as well. James Mcgirt. Edwin Rogriguez had beatan both sons back to back.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    True, but one can question how do legends produce such mediocre children? Watching Ronald Hearns live- he looked so ordinary, it looked as if I could make it the distance with him.

Watching Aaron Pryor Jr, I kinda knew he wouldn't make it anywhere near the top. My reason for stating this is when I met him at IBHOF he seemed like a really nice kid. He's listed at 6'4. For me it was his demeanor. Nothing like the bitter childhood his dad grew up in.
    Not stating every fighter should look like they got a mean streak in them -BUT! if they aren't quick with hands, display a high level of knowledge, then what's left?

Jr. is just a nice guy with height & reach advantage, but no killer instinct like his father.

I forgot that Buddy's son boxes as well. James Mcgirt. Edwin Rogriguez had beatan both sons back to back.

Here's the thing. It all starts with interests. Like the jock father who wants more than anything for his son to be good at sports... and it turns out the son wants to be a painter/musician instead. So first you've got to check that box. If the kid's not interested... sadly he's just not interested. Support his interests and forget what you envisioned. He'll be the happier for it. Sometimes though, the son feels inner pressure to be like his old man. He may have the desire, but not the skill. He may not have either... just a pressured sense of commitment. It's only when all the planets align (desire, skills, no parental pressure)... that you have that "chip off the ol' block." In rare cases, the son even surpasses his great father.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great article here about Campbell Hatton, Ricky's Son. Managed by his Dad by trained by his Uncle Matthew.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/sto...-into-the-ring
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Thread Information