Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tank vs Garcia vs Haney vs Teo

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    I think both Teo and Davis knock out Garcia. I've always favored the hard-scrabble, tough young fighters who rise despite their persistent anonymity. Garcia is another "golden-spoon" hype product. Not saying he ain't good... only that he would meet a harsh reality against any of those two. I'm not a Davis fan, mostly based on his off-the-ring shenanigans... but I can't deny his greatness and potential.
    it wasn't long ago teofimo was struggling with Masayoshi, who is very underrated just saying & gervonta hasn't fought anyone yet to start talking about greatness

Yet the following fight he destroyed the very durable and rugged Commey. Teo is allowed the occasional mediocre day, but it's those high peaks that matter.

Gervonta yeah... he's got his chinks in the armor. I don't like the way he let a gimpy (but brave) Gamboa hang around till the final round. But man... his knockout over Santa Cruz was some scary stuff right there. True, Gervonta's naturally bigger than Leo... and Leo's style was made to order for that uppercut... but still.

But they're hyping Garcia like they hyped the Golden Boy in his time like they hyped the Red-Headed One. I hate hype for the sake of hype. I say let the man prove himself further in the ring before you start falling all over yourself for him.
    saying you can't deny gervontas greatness sounds like pretty big hype to me. sure king ry is getting a big push because of obvious reasons. king ry just stepped up & came through a tough test. has anyone here proclaimed king rys greatness? i might have missed it

Funny... didn't see this "can't deny gervontas greatness" in my post. But saying shit others don't say seems pretty par for the course for you... so go right ahead. Maybe you oughta go back and reread what I wrote.
    i haven't added a word to your post below. i can understand the potential part. it clearly says i can't deny his greatness

I'm not a Davis fan but I can't deny his greatness and potential.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think both Teo and Davis knock out Garcia. I've always favored the hard-scrabble, tough young fighters who rise despite their persistent anonymity. Garcia is another "golden-spoon" hype product. Not saying he ain't good... only that he would meet a harsh reality against any of those two. I'm not a Davis fan, mostly based on his off-the-ring shenanigans... but I can't deny his greatness and potential.
    it wasn't long ago teofimo was struggling with Masayoshi, who is very underrated just saying & gervonta hasn't fought anyone yet to start talking about greatness

Yet the following fight he destroyed the very durable and rugged Commey. Teo is allowed the occasional mediocre day, but it's those high peaks that matter.

Gervonta yeah... he's got his chinks in the armor. I don't like the way he let a gimpy (but brave) Gamboa hang around till the final round. But man... his knockout over Santa Cruz was some scary stuff right there. True, Gervonta's naturally bigger than Leo... and Leo's style was made to order for that uppercut... but still.

But they're hyping Garcia like they hyped the Golden Boy in his time like they hyped the Red-Headed One. I hate hype for the sake of hype. I say let the man prove himself further in the ring before you start falling all over yourself for him.
    saying you can't deny gervontas greatness sounds like pretty big hype to me. sure king ry is getting a big push because of obvious reasons. king ry just stepped up & came through a tough test. has anyone here proclaimed king rys greatness? i might have missed it

Funny... didn't see this "can't deny gervontas greatness" in my post. But saying shit others don't say seems pretty par for the course for you... so go right ahead. Maybe you oughta go back and reread what I wrote.
    i haven't added a word to your post below. i can understand the potential part. it clearly says i can't deny his greatness

I'm not a Davis fan but I can't deny his greatness and potential.

Oh wow. Ok... you caught me red-handed.

Happens to the best of us.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So I told you all a long time back Teo would fight Kambosos and Garcia would not enact his mandatory position. I sat off quietly waiting for it to play out

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EY5i97LBKug

And Garcia is trying to fight ANYONE but Haney.

At some point you all will have to accept that what I say is going to happen is going to happen. Or you can make personal attacks, whatever

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Garcia has already spoken about Haney during the interview with Teddy Atlas

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teofimo Lopez: ‘This is the takeover. I’m going to be the face of boxing’

Teofimo Lopez still remembers the first time boxing broke his heart. Before being crowned the undisputed lightweight world champion, before dismantling one of the sport’s modern greats with searing impudence, he was competing at an amateur boxing tournament in Florida, and he was running. After the result was read aloud, the eight-year-old sprinted out the gym, not physically beaten but psychologically bruised, and the tears streamed uncontrollably down his cheeks. “I started crying because I felt like I’d let my father down,” he says. “I just ran and ran, I didn’t stop. My dad used to call the cops and they’d try and look for me for hours. I was ashamed. But little by little, I learned to take the losses like my wins. A true champion has to learn that. You can’t be a sore loser.”

In keeping with boxing’s rituals, Lopez preaches a lurid brand of trash talk with near-biblical intensity - few, after all, have earned the right so emphatically. But every so often, moments of genuine grief slip from behind that swaggering mask. “I’ve had my heart broken by boxing seven times,” he says. The worst was not the mortification of that first ever defeat, though, but the reaction to his greatest triumph when he dethroned Vasyl Lomachenko last October. “Achieving what I did and have everyone kind of discredit that. That was the biggest.”

Make no mistake, there has been plenty of adulation, too. Lopez’s captivating victory will always be remembered as the night when one of the sport’s divine technicians was stripped of his majesty. Lopez was immediately instated as one of boxing’s pound-for-pound superstars and was named 2020’s fighter of the year. But then, inevitably, boxing’s more lamentable machinations sputtered into life.

First, Lomachenko bizarrely claimed the ringside judges had been bribed and demanded a rematch. Soon afterwards, largely as a result of the governing bodies’ greed and an endless supply of titles, prodigious rivals Devin Haney and Ryan Garcia both began signalling their own claims of supremacy. Throughout his short but staggeringly successful career, Lopez has always become fixated by those slights, a sense of injustice that he sometimes deliberately blows out of proportion, hoarding it as a fire that burns “in the heart” and is then channelled into every punch.

“I’m the king of the division. There’s only one and that’s Teofimo,” Lopez says, raising each of his belts aloft in evidence. “At 23, I did something that’s never been done before in my division. That’s the difference between myself and these other guys. They’re fake champions. [When people discredit me] they don’t realise that’s what motivates me. From the Olympic Games [when Lopez was denied a place on the US team and then lost a controversial decision while representing Honduras], when I was younger in the amateurs, still not being acknowledged as the best. The damage has been done since I was little.”

Sometimes, the hurt has been self-inflicted. One of Lopez’s earliest memories is of training at a local gym with his father and catching his arm on an exposed hook while hitting the punchbag. “I had a big gash, it was so open, and I went up to my dad and he freaked out and took me to the hospital,” he says. “I think I had something like 36 stitches… That was my sacrifice. I gave blood to the sport. I was six years old.”

Largely, though, the “rage” and determination has been inherited. Lopez’s father was born in Brooklyn but spent a large part of his childhood in Honduras. He stole and sold to make ends meet - later serving 11 days in jail on drug charges -and already had a reputation for fighting in the street before his volatile life was tragically upended by the deaths of his parents. Lopez Sr only had one amateur fight, but when his son was born, he transferred his passion for boxing with equal measures of love and fury. “He first put gloves on me when I was two years old,” Lopez says. “My father is very intense, just like every other coach.”

For all Lopez Sr’s pugnacious antics, which are now better recognised in furious denunciations of his son’s opponents, his fierce passion and prowess as a trainer are inarguable. As a young teenager, with minimal outside influence, Lopez won national championships and proved himself as one of boxing’s most valuable prospects. His career has been fast-tracked ever since, but the pursuit of success also bears a toll, and in one memorable televised interview prior to the Lomachenko fight, Lopez broke down when discussing how the relationship with his father had deteriorated.

“It took us a long time to find the balance [between being a father and a coach],” Lopez says now of that rift. “Nothing comes easy when it’s done the right way. Now we’ve understood each other more, we respect each other in a much better way. Sometimes I have to be like the father and talk to him about certain things. A lot of people think we’ll break up eventually, but that will never be the case. He’s a tremendous father and an incredible coach and I think a lot of people need to give him more respect. For everyone out there, he may seem different, he may seem crazy, but he knows what you need to become an undisputed champion.”

For all their bluster, Lopez Sr’s lofty prophecies for his son have almost always been realised. So, perhaps, it is only right that Lopez taps into that same vein when considering what comes next. “Last year, I put my foot on everyone’s necks. This year, I’m choking them,” he says, before bursting into laughter. “What I did with Lomachenko was just a little taste. This is just the beginning. Tyson Fury, I love you. Canelo, te amo. But this is the new generation. Teofimo is taking over and nobody can stop that. We’re going to be the face of boxing.”

And what of the man behind that face, who still remembers every heartbreak? Slowly, Lopez says, the image of that small child running out of the gym will be hidden from view completely. “People don’t need to know [what’s happening behind the mask],” he says. “I am who I am in boxing because I have to be. It's a very dirty sport. When people think you’re soft, they think they can do something. It’s about protection. Whether they like me or not, they’re still going to watch Teofimo.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/teo...102746890.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

UNHAPPY Teofimo Lopez may emulate Floyd Mayweather in splitting from Top Rank promoters – ‘If you can’t meet the terms, I’m taking my talents somewhere else’

Teofimo Lopez may emulate Floyd Mayweather by splitting from promoters Top Rank to capitalise on his success.

Lopez cemented himself among the elite by becoming the unified lightweight champion when he beat Vasyl Lomachenko in October last year.

The 16-0 fighter is ranked as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world and, at just 23, has some of his biggest fights ahead of him.

Lopez hinted that he is unhappy with Bob Arum’s Top Rank and may look elsewhere to cash in on his success.

“I’m looking forward, and I’m moving forward,” Lopez told ESPN. “If you can’t meet the terms, then like I said, I’m taking my talents somewhere else.

“Because you got the best fighter in the world on that display. It’s all paid dues. And that’s what we did; we paid our dues. I am your favourite fighter’s favourite fighter. That sets the tone, and I think that everybody needs to realise that.

“I am the truth. I am the best in the division. I can’t take it or leave it no more. It’s more so about it’s a takeover. I earned it. It’s not something that’s a given. You’ve gotta earn it.”

Lopez would not be the first fighter to split from Top Rank as Floyd Mayweather famously bought himself out of his deal with the promotion in 2006 for $750,000.

The 50-0 boxer later admitted that signing with the promotion was one of his worst decisions.

“As of today, the worst thing I ever did in my career was sign with Top Rank,” Mayweather told FightHype in 2018. “One of my family members was money hungry and went behind my back. That’s the worst thing I ever did.

“The worst thing I ever did was sign with Top Rank, because I was destined to be big anyway.

“I was destined to be a superstar anyway.”

Mayweather’s net worth is said to be around $560million, although he disputes this and puts the figure closer to $1billion.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/8...plit-top-rank/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

PRINCE OF DARKNESS New US golden boy Vergil Ortiz Jr reveals shock OAP Brit rocker Ozzy Osbourne has helped inspire sensational 16-0 start

BOXING’S new Fab Four could be overshadowed by the terrifying Prince of Darkness this year.

Lightweight sensations Teofimo Lopez, Ryan Garcia, Devin Haney and Gervonta Davis are all grabbing world titles, mega-money deals and social media fame with their actions online and in the ring.

But fame-dodging 22-year-old welterweight Vergil Ortiz Jr has raced to 16-0 - all via brutal KO - on a diet of heavy-rock guitar thrashing straight out of bat-chomping Ozzy Osbourne’s playbook.

It’s hard to believe Dallas’ young fighting force is fueled by the tunes of a 72-year-old Birmingham make-up lover but piano-playing throwback Ortiz Jr is full of surprises.

“I like to play music, it is a big part of my life and, I can’t lie, it started with Guitar Hero,” he told SunSport.
    “Just playing that computer game got me into rock music and then it taught me timing and hitting the right notes and strumming at the same time.

“Playing a real guitar is the same thing really, there are just a lot more f****** notes to learn and remember!
    “I love Black Sabbath and play a lot of their songs, if I could have been born in any other era it would have been the 1970’s so I could have really enjoyed the music of the 80’s and 90’s.”

Ortiz Jr’s last win over the respected Samuel Vargas - who takes on Conor Benn on April 10 - went viral for hitting all of the right notes.
    The sickening sounds of the shots that stopped the veteran inside seven punishing rounds were harder to listen to than even one of Kelly Osbourne’s tracks.

But to menacing Ortiz, the rasping shots and thudding blows were music to his finely tuned ears.

“That’s what I liked about the Vargas fight”, he said. “I always go back and watch my fights, often on the same night.

“Punches usually never really sound like they should do but when I watched the Samuel Vargas fight back they sounded exactly exactly how I heard them as we were fighting.

“I definitely have an on and off switch, I can control my emotions.

“Even in the locker room I am still smiling and feeling relaxed. Once they call my name I start changing and, once the bell rings, I am a whole different person.”

Ortiz Jr’s name was thrown into the headlines last year when his legendary promoter Oscar De La Hoya labelled him the ‘future of boxing’.

The praise could have blown him off track or off the rails but instead it has inspired him to work even harder and take a massive challenge against ex-world champ Maurice Hooker on March 20.

He said: “It was an honour when Oscar made that comment, I don’t even know how many weight divisions he won world titles in but I know it’s a lot.

“A comment like that coming from someone of that calibre means a lot and it motivates me to work even harder.

“I was really happy when he said that but it also confirmed that my hard work isn’t done. I will never be satisfied.

“I don’t care about what people have to say about me, people will always talk and I think it’s a healthier lifestyle just to focus on yourself.”

Ortiz Jr is trained by the brilliant Robert Garcia as well as his father Vergil Sr.

Boxing history is littered with tragic tales of father-and-son teams collapsing and even Lopez broke down in tears over the fractured relationship with his father before the brilliant undisputed win over Vasiliy Lomachenko.

But the Ortiz family are working hard to keep their emotions separate from their trade.

“Me and my dad are still the same, we separate home life and our boxing careers,” Ortiz Jr said.
    "At home he is my dad and at the gym he is my coach.

“We do a really good job at separating those, my dad cares about me but he will be tough on me because he wants the best for me.

“I am not the sort of bratty kid who will ever think his dad is being hard because he wants to be mean, I am not dumb, I will always know why he is doing things to make me better.”

The welterweight division is perhaps one of the most frustrating in the sport right now as top stars Terence Crawford and Errol Spence Jr refuse to fight each other to designate an unquestionable No1.

But that could be good news for British fans as Ortiz would have no problem clashing with an English hero while he waits for his chance to strike out for gold.

“The division is being held up a bit by some of the world champions, once we get an undisputed champion I assume they will move up and the belts will get moved around again.

“But ideally I would get to fight all of these top guys at their best, before they move up.”

When SunSport floats the idea of an Amir Khan or Kell Brook cracker, Ortiz beams over Zoom: “Oh definitely!”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14295...t-vergil-ozzy/

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

George Kambosos vows to ‘destroy’ Teofimo Lopez and end ‘four kings’ era of Gervonta Davis, Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney

GEORGE KAMBOSOS has vowed to 'destroy' Teofimo Lopez and the 'four kings' lightweight era at the same time.

Throughout the 1980s, boxing was graced by Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Marvin Hagler and Tommy Hearns.

They were a quartet of superstars who all fought each other and earned the 'four kings' nickname.

Now promoters and managers are licking their lips at the prospect of another golden era, this time in the lightweight division.

Unified champion Lopez sits atop of the throne, with ready-made unbeaten rivals awaiting him in Gervonta Davis, Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney.

But Aussie Kambosos, who challenges for Lopez's belts in May, has promised to wreck those super-fights by ruling over the lot of them.

He told SunSport: "What's a king to an emperor? A king might rule one land but the emperor will come over and rule many lands.
    "They can be the 'four kings' no problem but the emperor is coming and coming to rule America.

"I've already ruled Australia, I came over to the UK and ruled there.
    "Now I'm coming over to rule the US and destroy the supposed top leader, their king, the guy who is holding it down for them."

Lopez, 23, shot to superstardom in October, as he dethroned pound-for-pound contender Vasiliy Lomachenko, 32, on points.

Floyd Mayweather protege Davis, 26, is a career super-featherweight but has the power and backing to move up the weights.

Haney, 22, also mentored by Mayweather, was controversially handed the WBC belt in 2019, with Lomachenko elevated to 'Franchise' champ.
    And Garcia, also 22, is primed as America's next 'Golden Boy', but is yet to fight for world honours.

Kambosos, 27, meanwhile muscled his way into title contention by fighting across America and Europe, climbing the ranks.

He sealed the deal in October, flying 9,000 miles to beat ex-champion Lee Selby, 34, in London to become IBF mandatory.

And Kambosos is adamant his career stands out above the other contenders, having travelled far and wide while taking on all comers.

He said: "I've earned it the hardest way.

"Lopez has all the belts, he's beat three former or world champions, the second guy is myself, I've beaten two former world champions.
    "Devin Haney has only beaten one, and Gamboa was shot as ever, Ryan Garcia hasn't beaten a world champion yet.

"Davis, he's all over the place, he's at 130, so he's not really in the mix at 135.

"I've had to earn this the hard way. I've been overseas, the US, preparing all over the world with hard sparring sessions.

"This has been well earned, everything that has come has been deserving, but now I'm ready for those world titles."

Lopez rolled the dice when negotiating his first title defence, refusing a package put together by his Top Rank promotion.

Instead, he gambled and went to purse bids, with social media app Triller blowing the competition out of the water with a £4.3million bid.

The huge payment to secure the rights further increased Lopez's argument as a box office attraction, which started the night he upset Lomachenko.

But Kambosos is ready to stand up to the New Yorker and burst his bubble while spoiling his reign before it even gets going.

He explained: "No one has ever turned round to Teofimo and said, 'I'm coming straight at ya. I don't care what you've done'.

"They've all been scared of him, I don't know why. He's a young, 23-year-old little kid.

"I'm not scared of any man, I saw what Lomachenko did in that fight in the later part, I'm bigger, stronger, faster and more explosive and more violent.

"Just like Lopez shocked the world, it's going to be very embarrassing come our fight."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14298...a-devin-haney/

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Garcia literally petitioned to be removed from his mandatory position. As I told you all he would months ago. It’s boring being right so far ahead of time.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Davis may not be fighting anyone for some time. https://www.badlefthook.com/2021/3/2...xing-news-2021
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Garcia literally petitioned to be removed from his mandatory position. As I told you all he would months ago. It’s boring being right so far ahead of time.
    Disgusting.

Removed from a priority position to win a world championship belt.

Why is Garcia not being abused for this??!!

Wish boxing was more like the UFC and the best fight the best.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Teofimo Lopez tells Vasyl Lomachenko ‘f*** you’ but admits he learned a lot from boxing rival and former P4P No1

UNIFIED lightweight champion Teofimo Lopez admits he learned a great deal from his showdown with Vasyl Lomachenko, but he insists he still doesn't like the Ukrainian.

Lopez shocked the world last October by edging out Loma in their blockbuster lightweight title unification bout, which he won via unanimous decision.

The pair have been engaged in a bitter war of words ever since that night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

But Lopez, 23, admits his overall game has benefitted from sharing the ring with the two-time Olympic gold medallist.

When asked about his prime being anywhere on the horizon, he told TMZ: "More so of the opposition and the amount of knowledge I grabbed off of Lomachenko himself."

The Takeover added: "Yeah [I learned stuff from fighting him]. Just like I learned from everybody that I faced.

"But mainly, yeah, with Lomachenko, I did. There's a lot of things that I grabbed off of him.

"We already know what we were going to do in camp and going into the fight.

"But then there was nice things that I grabbed and now I take it into my own craft now."

Lopez is grateful for the extra wisdom his bout with Lomachenko has bestowed on him and was quick to thank the former champ for teaching him some valuable lessons.

But he made sure to let him know they won't be on good terms any time soon.

He continued: "Thanks, Loma. Even though f**k you, but thank you."

Lopez's next outing is expected to be against Japan's Masayoshi Nakatani, although their meeting has not yet been confirmed.

Lopez has, however, revealed he'll be back in the ring in June.

He said: "June 5th in Miami, that's when I'll be fighting.

"It's great, man, and I'm excited to bring it back to everybody, the sport, that I love."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14522...o-boxing-news/

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The network announced Davis’ championship fight with Barrios on Thursday as the centerpiece of a nine-show lineup running from May until September.

The 25-year-old Barrios (26-0, 17 knockouts) isn’t as big a name as other potential opponents who were linked to Davis, including Ryan Garcia, Devin Haney and Teofimo Lopez, but he will hold substantial height and reach advantages. Davis (24-0, 23 knockouts) will move up two weight classes from his previous fight against Leo Santa Cruz. He fought Yuriorkis Gamboa in the 135-pound weight class in December 2019.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...gqq-story.html

So Tank is moving up, does this mean the end of our desired fights for him?
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    The network announced Davis’ championship fight with Barrios on Thursday as the centerpiece of a nine-show lineup running from May until September.

The 25-year-old Barrios (26-0, 17 knockouts) isn’t as big a name as other potential opponents who were linked to Davis, including Ryan Garcia, Devin Haney and Teofimo Lopez, but he will hold substantial height and reach advantages. Davis (24-0, 23 knockouts) will move up two weight classes from his previous fight against Leo Santa Cruz. He fought Yuriorkis Gamboa in the 135-pound weight class in December 2019.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...gqq-story.html

So Tank is moving up, does this mean the end of our desired fights for him?

I hope not. If I were to guess, I'd say Gervonta would almost certainly come back down after Barrios. His height and reach are better suited for the lower weights... and it's not like there is a scarcity of big names there, like you mentioned. The thing I would worry about regarding Davis would be can he stay out of his own way long enough to become an all-time great in boxing. "Trouble" should actually be his middle name.

Thread Information