Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tank vs Garcia vs Haney vs Teo

I think the boxers might be getting ahead of the promoters a bit here. Or maybe they already agreed to it and they're just trying to hype it. But it's not the fight you would expect to see get made next for either of them.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Undisputed world lightweight champion Teofimo Lopez is eyeing a fight with Britain's Josh Taylor as he plots a step up the divisions.

Scot Taylor hopes to add the WBC and WBO light-welterweight belts to his IBF and WBA titles by beating Jose Ramirez.

Outlining hopes to take on the winner, Lopez, 23, told BBC Radio 5 Live: "They got to make that happen. Absolutely. I would love to do that fight in the UK.

"The main guy I do want to win from that fight is Josh Taylor."

Speaking to the boxing podcast hosted by Mike Costello and Steve Bunce, the American added: "It'll go to show everyone that we talk a lot, but we back it up."

Lopez beat Vasyl Lomachenko by a unanimous points decision in Las Vegas in October to become the undisputed lightweight champion, adding the WBA, WBO and WBC 'franchise' titles to his IBF belt.

He is the youngest four-belt undisputed champion, with an unbeaten record of 16 wins from 16 bouts.

Taylor, 30, is hoping for a unification fight against Ramirez in 2021 and told BBC Scotland last month he wants to retire in two or three years as a three-weight world champion.

Lopez said he is planning two fights this year at 135lb (lightweight) and one at 140 (light-welterweight).

He believes a bout with unbeaten compatriot Devin Haney is most likely next as plans to fight Australia's mandatory IBF challenger George Kambosos have been scuppered by travel restrictions, and he ruled out fighting Ukrainian Lomachenko again.

"We beat him fair and square, we beat him clearly," said Lopez.

"Had this fight been a split decision, then yes, we could talk about something but this turned out to be a unanimous decision for a reason.

"We outboxed the boxer, we beat the boxer, now it's on to bigger and better things."

Lopez believes he will prove even better when rising up the weights, eventually fighting at welterweight (147lb).

"We are resisting my full potential, because we want to make these other fights happen. At 140, you guys will see my full potential. At 147, you will see a lot more," he said.

Mike Costello, boxing commentator: "He seems very keen on a Josh Taylor fight if that unification contest comes up against Ramirez. What struck me was him saying that at 147, at welterweight, that's where you're really going to see the best of me.

"Quite often my gut feeling is it can't be done but then I reflect on how small Floyd Mayweather looked when he was making those same noises. They've been talking about it for so long. I don't think they would have done if it hadn't been realistic."

Steve Bunce, boxing pundit: "Reading what his father said after the victory over Lomachenko, and hearing what he said there, I'm not so sure he will dawdle too long at lightweight."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/55630730
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i dont know if he understands how to throw a straight punch, since the mechanics of that punch are a lot different, but ryan garcia can throw a left hook. the mechanics of that punch are simple enough; just let your hip pull your arm. to do that the tip of your elbow has to start behind your hip. a lot of trainers will tell you not to do that. they want you to push your punches. did ryan garcia play baseball? i know that guys like rocky marciano and charley burley played baseball. i have a little theory that if you can throw a baseball, you can throw a punch.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keep in mind folks Teo is lying. He says he has sent contracts to Haney and Kambosos, even Arum says that’s ridiculous BS

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Keep in mind folks Teo is lying. He says he has sent contracts to Haney and Kambosos, even Arum says that’s ridiculous BS

Yeah it is ridiculous to believe Boxers send contracts. Uh apart from Deontay Wilder , he can send contracts to Joshua, right ?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watched Ryan Garcia talking to Teddy Atlas

Very quickly I can see why Ryan Garcia has got millions of followers. Such a positive energetic person.
    In the last fight, he was reminiscent of GoldenBoy at that early stage of career and a lot more personable

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ryan Garcia is on an upward trajectory in the world of boxing – but that doesn’t mean he’s focused solely on the present.

Garcia, 22, plans to retire from boxing at 26. When he uses the word “retirement,” though, he doesn’t mean he’ll permanently walk away from combat sports. Garcia won’t simply fight just to fight. Instead, he’ll take on challengers who people think will defeat him.

“You’ve seen in the past fighters who retired and came back,” Garcia said in a recent interview on “The Rich Eisen Show.” “This is what I will say. I still plan to retire at 26 – yet, if I am to return back to the ring, I will only battle people (who) people at that time say, ‘There’s no way Ryan will beat him.’ That’s the only way I’m coming back. ”

Garcia has been a professional boxer since 17. While boxing has been his sole competitive focus, the WBC interim lightweight champion isn’t ruling out a transition to MMA – should it be in the public’s interest. It’s about the challenge, even if that challenge is UFC star Conor McGregor.

“At 26, I still plan to retire,” Garcia said. “But if I do return back in the ring, I will promise everybody that I will fight people that they say I won’t beat. (Do) you know what I’m willing to do? I haven’t really said this out loud. What I plan to do is – say, at 26, I’m done, retired, and boxing is all good, right? … If they say, ‘OK, you’ve beaten everyone in the ring, right?’ (If) somebody goes, ‘This ain’t real fighting. Real fighting is legs, choking, submissions, all that.’ Guess what I’ll do? I’ll go prove to them that I’m the best fighter all-around in the world. I’m talking about hands. I’m talking about wrestling.

“I’ll go to MMA to prove a point that God is greatest. I’ll go beat whoever in MMA they say I won’t beat. If it has to be Conor McGregor (I fight), I will. I’m not saying this to get money. I don’t care about money. I’m saying this because it’s just how I feel.”

Fresh off a body-shot TKO victory over Luke Campbell earlier this month, Garcia (21-0 boxing) doesn’t have his next fight booked.

Meanwhile, McGregor (22-4 MMA, 11-2 UFC) is scheduled to headline UFC 257 on Jan. 23 against fellow lightweight contender Dustin Poirier in a rematch of their September 2013 bout.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/...rove-point-ufc
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Tank vs Garcia vs Haney vs Teo

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I'll give young Ryan his props. He got dropped flat on his arse and popped up and pressed for and made the ko. That's big. But I have a sneaking suspicion he runs the risk of being one of those guys whos flaws are glossed over and not corrected before he's put into the deep mixes. Flaws incorporated. Berto, Broner, Wilder type of push a little bit. But every fighter can improve with the top training he has with him..the problem is he is insisting on the very best next out. Once you reach the top tier, you cannot learn backwards and go unscathed. I think Teo and Davis will be too physical and punch diverse for him. Getting clipped repeatedly with long lefts is one thing but those two get that leverage om both hands, uppercuts to short hooks etc. Teo has that footwork too. Haney seemingly has a full tool box but need to see much more. He looked a little bit pedestrian in spots with Gamboa. Coasted. Gotta see that fire in the gut.
    Agreed

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Garcia and Haney fought at least 6 times in Amateurs.

Garcia claims Haney not responding to him, implying he's not as keen on a match up.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think both Teo and Davis knock out Garcia. I've always favored the hard-scrabble, tough young fighters who rise despite their persistent anonymity. Garcia is another "golden-spoon" hype product. Not saying he ain't good... only that he would meet a harsh reality against any of those two. I'm not a Davis fan, mostly based on his off-the-ring shenanigans... but I can't deny his greatness and potential.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Yeah it is ridiculous to believe Boxers send contracts. Uh apart from Deontay Wilder , he can send contracts to Joshua, right ?
    I’ve never said that. But go ahead and switch it. It’s what you do. Can’t just have an honest direct dialogue. Pathetic

Act like a man. Have an honest direct conversation or kindly don’t speak to me.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I think both Teo and Davis knock out Garcia. I've always favored the hard-scrabble, tough young fighters who rise despite their persistent anonymity. Garcia is another "golden-spoon" hype product. Not saying he ain't good... only that he would meet a harsh reality against any of those two. I'm not a Davis fan, mostly based on his off-the-ring shenanigans... but I can't deny his greatness and potential.
    it wasn't long ago teofimo was struggling with Masayoshi, who is very underrated just saying & gervonta hasn't fought anyone yet to start talking about greatness
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TIC View Post
    it wasn't long ago teofimo was struggling with Masayoshi, who is very underrated just saying & gervonta hasn't fought anyone yet to start talking about greatness

Yet the following fight he destroyed the very durable and rugged Commey. Teo is allowed the occasional mediocre day, but it's those high peaks that matter.

Gervonta yeah... he's got his chinks in the armor. I don't like the way he let a gimpy (but brave) Gamboa hang around till the final round. But man... his knockout over Santa Cruz was some scary stuff right there. True, Gervonta's naturally bigger than Leo... and Leo's style was made to order for that uppercut... but still.

But they're hyping Garcia like they hyped the Golden Boy in his time like they hyped the Red-Headed One. I hate hype for the sake of hype. I say let the man prove himself further in the ring before you start falling all over yourself for him.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yet the following fight he destroyed the very durable and rugged Commey. Teo is allowed the occasional mediocre day, but it's those high peaks that matter.

Gervonta yeah... he's got his chinks in the armor. I don't like the way he let a gimpy (but brave) Gamboa hang around till the final round. But man... his knockout over Santa Cruz was some scary stuff right there. True, Gervonta's naturally bigger than Leo... and Leo's style was made to order for that uppercut... but still.

But they're hyping Garcia like they hyped the Golden Boy in his time like they hyped the Red-Headed One. I hate hype for the sake of hype. I say let the man prove himself further in the ring before you start falling all over yourself for him.
    saying you can't deny gervontas greatness sounds like pretty big hype to me. sure king ry is getting a big push because of obvious reasons. king ry just stepped up & came through a tough test. has anyone here proclaimed king rys greatness? i might have missed it
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

saying you can't deny gervontas greatness sounds like pretty big hype to me. sure king ry is getting a big push because of obvious reasons. king ry just stepped up & came through a tough test. has anyone here proclaimed king rys greatness? i might have missed it

Funny... didn't see this "can't deny gervontas greatness" in my post. But saying shit others don't say seems pretty par for the course for you... so go right ahead. Maybe you oughta go back and reread what I wrote.

Thread Information