Carl Frampton v Jamel Herring: Confirmation of fight was 'a long time coming'

Carl Frampton says confirmation of his world title shot against WBO super featherweight Jamel Herring on 27 February "was a long time coming".

It was revealed on Tuesday that the long-awaited contest would take place in London, with Frampton aiming to become a three-weight world champion.

"It feels good to finally get it over the line," said the Belfast boxer.

"This fight has been talked about for such a long time. Once you get an official date it changes everything."

The fight between Frampton and the American had initially been pencilled in for Belfast in June 2020 before the Covid-19 pandemic intervened.

Last August, Frampton stopped Darren Traynor in the seventh round in an interim fight, while Herring beat Jonathan Oquendo in Las Vegas in September by disqualification.

Frampton to fight Herring for WBO belt in London on 27 February

"You always have it in the back of your head that you are going to miss the opportunity but it's done and credit to the WBO, MTK Global, Frank Warren and Top Rank for making it happen," added Frampton.

"It's been frustrating but now it is confirmed I intend to make sure I do whatever I can to win the fight.

"I was lucky I was able to fight last year and make a few quid but some people aren't in that position and they haven't been earning. I feel lucky and privileged I had the opportunity to do that.

"I've got a bigger opportunity now to become a three-weight world champion and that's all I am focused on."

'Zero love lost when we step in the ring'

The 33-year-old has been sparring since before Christmas and his efforts are now centred on "peaking at the right time" for the Herring bout.

"I'm fully focused on that date and on my opponent, ready to ramp things up," he said. "That is important.

"Herring seems to be a nice guy but there will be zero love lost when we step into the ring.

"I'm in a good place - my fitness is good and I just need to get a little bit sharper. That comes with more rounds.

"I'm already close to where I need to be to be ready to fight."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/55640821