Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Carl Frampton v Jamel Herring

Carl Frampton v Jamel Herring: Confirmation of fight was 'a long time coming'

Carl Frampton says confirmation of his world title shot against WBO super featherweight Jamel Herring on 27 February "was a long time coming".

It was revealed on Tuesday that the long-awaited contest would take place in London, with Frampton aiming to become a three-weight world champion.

"It feels good to finally get it over the line," said the Belfast boxer.

"This fight has been talked about for such a long time. Once you get an official date it changes everything."

The fight between Frampton and the American had initially been pencilled in for Belfast in June 2020 before the Covid-19 pandemic intervened.

Last August, Frampton stopped Darren Traynor in the seventh round in an interim fight, while Herring beat Jonathan Oquendo in Las Vegas in September by disqualification.

Frampton to fight Herring for WBO belt in London on 27 February

"You always have it in the back of your head that you are going to miss the opportunity but it's done and credit to the WBO, MTK Global, Frank Warren and Top Rank for making it happen," added Frampton.

"It's been frustrating but now it is confirmed I intend to make sure I do whatever I can to win the fight.

"I was lucky I was able to fight last year and make a few quid but some people aren't in that position and they haven't been earning. I feel lucky and privileged I had the opportunity to do that.

"I've got a bigger opportunity now to become a three-weight world champion and that's all I am focused on."

'Zero love lost when we step in the ring'

The 33-year-old has been sparring since before Christmas and his efforts are now centred on "peaking at the right time" for the Herring bout.

"I'm fully focused on that date and on my opponent, ready to ramp things up," he said. "That is important.

"Herring seems to be a nice guy but there will be zero love lost when we step into the ring.

"I'm in a good place - my fitness is good and I just need to get a little bit sharper. That comes with more rounds.

"I'm already close to where I need to be to be ready to fight."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/55640821
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Carl Frampton v Jamel Herring

Carl Frampton has sights on becoming Ireland’s first three-weight world champion

Carl Frampton will attempt to become Ireland’s first ever three-weight world champion when he challenges Jamel Herring for the WBO super-featherweight title on Saturday, February 27, in London.

Frampton unified the super-bantamweight division by beating domestic rival Scott Quigg via split decision in February 2016 before stepping up to featherweight later that year and outpointing WBA titlist Leo Santa Cruz.

The Belfast fighter was beaten in the rematch while, in his last world title contest, he lost to Josh Warrington over 12 rounds, but he has been eyeing a showdown against Herring since moving up to the 130lb division.

A bout scheduled to take place last June in the Northern Irish capital was scrapped because of the coronavirus pandemic, and both Frampton and Herring took tune-up fights last August and September respectively.

And now, with British boxing officials giving the go-ahead for the sport to resume in this country from the middle of next month, Frampton (28-2, 16KOs) has his sights set on furthering his legacy.

“I’m delighted to finally get a date nailed down for this fight that has now been talked about for over a year,” he said. “I have the utmost respect for Jamel as a fighter and as a man.

“But there is nobody stopping me on becoming the island of Ireland’s only ever three-weight world champion, one of Britain’s only ever three-weight world champions and potentially have one foot in the hall of fame.”

Frampton stopped Scotland’s Darren Traynor inside seven rounds on his last outing at York Hall, while Herring retained his world title a month later in Las Vegas when opponent Jonathan Oquendo was disqualified for repeated headbutts.

It was a fight that was rearranged on a number of occasions after Herring tested positive for coronavirus twice. The American speculated after beating Oquendo that his fight against Frampton might be his last.

Herring (22-2, 10KOs) said: “I’m really excited that the fight is finally happening, more importantly it’ll be an honour to share the ring with a true warrior, and class act such as Carl Frampton.

“It may be the biggest fight of my career to date, but I’ll be more than ready for the task ahead.

“There’s a lot on the line, and I know he’s aiming to make history, but he’ll have to wait another day, because I plan on returning home with my title in hand.

“I’ve been training very hard for this fight and went back to what got me to my world title from sparring the likes of Terence Crawford and other top talent across the nation. I can’t wait to put on a great show.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/car...185704000.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not to jinx it but really hope this doesn’t get a Covid cancellation..again. Still have to see how everything hashes out with UK being in limbo now. Pretty good match up I think Frampton can win it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​A really really good fighter, nearly the complete package .... but he is so heavily muscled as he gets older, that he gives away so much height and reach as he moves up the weights
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jamel clowns carl
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Frampton has seen his best days pass.
    Herring is simply too big for him. Frampton was hurt a number of times vs. Warrington and did well to see the final bell.
    Unfortunately I think Frampton will be used as a finishing touch here; Herrings coronation as a top flight performer.

Thread Information