Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Carl Frampton v Jamel Herring

Carl Frampton v Jamel Herring: Confirmation of fight was 'a long time coming'

Carl Frampton says confirmation of his world title shot against WBO super featherweight Jamel Herring on 27 February "was a long time coming".

It was revealed on Tuesday that the long-awaited contest would take place in London, with Frampton aiming to become a three-weight world champion.

"It feels good to finally get it over the line," said the Belfast boxer.

"This fight has been talked about for such a long time. Once you get an official date it changes everything."

The fight between Frampton and the American had initially been pencilled in for Belfast in June 2020 before the Covid-19 pandemic intervened.

Last August, Frampton stopped Darren Traynor in the seventh round in an interim fight, while Herring beat Jonathan Oquendo in Las Vegas in September by disqualification.

Frampton to fight Herring for WBO belt in London on 27 February

"You always have it in the back of your head that you are going to miss the opportunity but it's done and credit to the WBO, MTK Global, Frank Warren and Top Rank for making it happen," added Frampton.

"It's been frustrating but now it is confirmed I intend to make sure I do whatever I can to win the fight.

"I was lucky I was able to fight last year and make a few quid but some people aren't in that position and they haven't been earning. I feel lucky and privileged I had the opportunity to do that.

"I've got a bigger opportunity now to become a three-weight world champion and that's all I am focused on."

'Zero love lost when we step in the ring'

The 33-year-old has been sparring since before Christmas and his efforts are now centred on "peaking at the right time" for the Herring bout.

"I'm fully focused on that date and on my opponent, ready to ramp things up," he said. "That is important.

"Herring seems to be a nice guy but there will be zero love lost when we step into the ring.

"I'm in a good place - my fitness is good and I just need to get a little bit sharper. That comes with more rounds.

"I'm already close to where I need to be to be ready to fight."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/55640821
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Carl Frampton v Jamel Herring

Carl Frampton has sights on becoming Ireland’s first three-weight world champion

Carl Frampton will attempt to become Ireland’s first ever three-weight world champion when he challenges Jamel Herring for the WBO super-featherweight title on Saturday, February 27, in London.

Frampton unified the super-bantamweight division by beating domestic rival Scott Quigg via split decision in February 2016 before stepping up to featherweight later that year and outpointing WBA titlist Leo Santa Cruz.

The Belfast fighter was beaten in the rematch while, in his last world title contest, he lost to Josh Warrington over 12 rounds, but he has been eyeing a showdown against Herring since moving up to the 130lb division.

A bout scheduled to take place last June in the Northern Irish capital was scrapped because of the coronavirus pandemic, and both Frampton and Herring took tune-up fights last August and September respectively.

And now, with British boxing officials giving the go-ahead for the sport to resume in this country from the middle of next month, Frampton (28-2, 16KOs) has his sights set on furthering his legacy.

“I’m delighted to finally get a date nailed down for this fight that has now been talked about for over a year,” he said. “I have the utmost respect for Jamel as a fighter and as a man.

“But there is nobody stopping me on becoming the island of Ireland’s only ever three-weight world champion, one of Britain’s only ever three-weight world champions and potentially have one foot in the hall of fame.”

Frampton stopped Scotland’s Darren Traynor inside seven rounds on his last outing at York Hall, while Herring retained his world title a month later in Las Vegas when opponent Jonathan Oquendo was disqualified for repeated headbutts.

It was a fight that was rearranged on a number of occasions after Herring tested positive for coronavirus twice. The American speculated after beating Oquendo that his fight against Frampton might be his last.

Herring (22-2, 10KOs) said: “I’m really excited that the fight is finally happening, more importantly it’ll be an honour to share the ring with a true warrior, and class act such as Carl Frampton.

“It may be the biggest fight of my career to date, but I’ll be more than ready for the task ahead.

“There’s a lot on the line, and I know he’s aiming to make history, but he’ll have to wait another day, because I plan on returning home with my title in hand.

“I’ve been training very hard for this fight and went back to what got me to my world title from sparring the likes of Terence Crawford and other top talent across the nation. I can’t wait to put on a great show.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/car...185704000.html

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not to jinx it but really hope this doesn’t get a Covid cancellation..again. Still have to see how everything hashes out with UK being in limbo now. Pretty good match up I think Frampton can win it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

​A really really good fighter, nearly the complete package .... but he is so heavily muscled as he gets older, that he gives away so much height and reach as he moves up the weights
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jamel clowns carl
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Frampton has seen his best days pass.
    Herring is simply too big for him. Frampton was hurt a number of times vs. Warrington and did well to see the final bell.
    Unfortunately I think Frampton will be used as a finishing touch here; Herrings coronation as a top flight performer.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Frampton is on the decline strong at super bantam but superfeather can't see him winning this one.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Takes a bit to pick against a Marine but I'm sticking with Frampton. I really do wonder about Herring at age 35 traveling for the first time, his stamina problems late under pressure and that nasty open gash in his last out. He's not hard to miss coming from underneath. Very close but think Frampton may just have a bit more grit in him. This has all the making of a tough mutual scrap.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carl Frampton admits Belfast swansong against Shakur Stevenson is in his sights

Carl Frampton revealed a potential career swansong showdown against Shakur Stevenson in Belfast is an extra incentive to make history this month.

Frampton turns 34 six days before next stepping into the ring on February 27, when he will try to become the first Irish fighter to win world titles in three divisions as he takes on WBO super-featherweight champion Jamel Herring.

While insisting his American rival has his undivided attention, Frampton has previously thought about retirement and he hinted a win over the highly-rated Stevenson in his home city would be the ideal way to bow out of boxing.

He told the PA news agency: “I have it on good authority that Shakur Stevenson would come to Belfast to fight me if I do beat Jamel. That’s a huge fight. That could be the sign-off – imagine beating Shakur Stevenson at Belfast.

“The chance for me to box in Belfast again in front of a big crowd is very appealing to me. Me and Shakur potentially at Windsor Park after Jamel Herring.

“But I’m not looking too far ahead, it’s one fight at a time, I need to beat Jamel Herring first.”

Stevenson, an Olympic silver medallist who won a world title in just his 13th professional fight, has vacated his WBO featherweight crown to move up to 130lbs and is in pole position to fight the Herring-Frampton winner.

Herring will have a five-inch height and seven-inch reach advantage over Frampton, who knows he is facing one of the stiffest tests of his professional career against the rangy southpaw in London.

Carl Frampton revealed a potential career swansong showdown against Shakur Stevenson in Belfast is an extra incentive to make history this month.

Frampton turns 34 six days before next stepping into the ring on February 27, when he will try to become the first Irish fighter to win world titles in three divisions as he takes on WBO super-featherweight champion Jamel Herring.

While insisting his American rival has his undivided attention, Frampton has previously thought about retirement and he hinted a win over the highly-rated Stevenson in his home city would be the ideal way to bow out of boxing.

He told the PA news agency: “I have it on good authority that Shakur Stevenson would come to Belfast to fight me if I do beat Jamel. That’s a huge fight. That could be the sign-off – imagine beating Shakur Stevenson at Belfast.

“The chance for me to box in Belfast again in front of a big crowd is very appealing to me. Me and Shakur potentially at Windsor Park after Jamel Herring.

“But I’m not looking too far ahead, it’s one fight at a time, I need to beat Jamel Herring first.”

Stevenson, an Olympic silver medallist who won a world title in just his 13th professional fight, has vacated his WBO featherweight crown to move up to 130lbs and is in pole position to fight the Herring-Frampton winner.

Herring will have a five-inch height and seven-inch reach advantage over Frampton, who knows he is facing one of the stiffest tests of his professional career against the rangy southpaw in London.

Speaking to promote his Inside Fighting podcast, Frampton said: “It could be the toughest fight of my career. It’s going to be a difficult night but I’m relishing the chance to become a three-weight world champion.

“It’s just the simple fact that people are writing me off and thinking I’m too small to win this fight, that excites me.

“I can imagine what the pictures are going to look like, me and him, at the weigh-in. It’s just going to look ridiculous and like we shouldn’t be fighting each other, but that gets me excited to beat someone like that.”

The pair were supposed to fight in June last year in the Northern Irish capital but that was scuppered by the coronavirus pandemic, leading Frampton and Herring to take tune-up bouts last August and September respectively.

While Frampton (28-2, 16KOs) was untroubled as he outclassed then stopped Scotland’s Darren Traynor inside seven rounds, Herring (22-2, 10KOs) retained his title when Jonathan Oquendo was disqualified for repeated headbutts.

It was a fight that was rearranged on a number of occasions after Herring tested positive for coronavirus twice, while the southpaw speculated immediately after beating Oquendo that his fight against Frampton might be his last.

Frampton, a former super-bantamweight and featherweight world champion, said: “It was very negative, the things he was saying after that fight and I don’t think he should have said them, he probably regrets saying them.

“I suppose he’s fully focused on this fight now, but these are things that he did say. An issue is he shares too much on social media, he was sharing messages that his wife had said, she wants him to retire and all this.

“My wife wants me to retire but I’m not posting messages about it all over social media. It was all a wee bit negative from him after and he’s changed his tune recently.”

However, Frampton is not taking any mental edge from the comments, given the 35-year-old’s past as a former Marine who served in the Iraq war.

Frampton added: “He’s got to be a mentally strong person, he’s come through a lot in his life to date, so I’m not having a dig at how strong he is mentally, I think he will be strong.

“But I think that is a regret he will have of saying the things that he did say.”

:: The first two episodes of Inside Fighting are out now, available on all major podcast platforms and YouTube

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/car...110006750.html
    Last edited by Master; 02-16-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fight's postponed.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
    Fight's postponed.
    Not seen that yet, Carl was very confiedent he can win this.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carl Frampton fight against Jamel Herring delayed after Irishman suffers hand injury

Carl Frampton’s historic bid to become the first Irishman to hold world titles in three weight divisions has been delayed after the Belfast fighter suffered a hand injury in training for his WBO super-featherweight title fight against incumbent champion Jamel Herring.

Herring was due to fly into the UK from his training camp in Colorado Springs this coming Friday for the scheduled bout a week on Saturday (Feb 27) at the Copper Box on the Olympic Park in Stratford, but the first high-profile world title fight in the UK since boxing returned after the latest coronavirus pandemic lockdown will be rescheduled by a month.

Promoter Frank Warren told Telegraph Sport that "unfortunately the contest will have to be rescheduled - we are expecting it to be on March 27 now."

It is yet a further delay for a seemingly jinxed fight after Herring and Frampton were in the ring together after Frampton's triumph over Tyler McCreary in Las Vegas in November 2019. Since then the meeting of the 'Fighting Marine' - Herring, a New Jersey native, completed two tours of duty in Iraq with the US Marines - and former two-weight world champion Frampton - who has held titles at super bantamweight and featherweight - has been delayed by the Covid pandemic and the American suffering a cut in defence of his title against Jonathan Oquendo last summer.

Indeed, the Herring vs Oquendo fight, scheduled to take place in Bob Arum's boxing bubble in Las Vegas, was delayed twice due to positive Covid tests.

Herring, who tweeted that he "would never kick a man when he is down", told Telegraph Sport in an interview this week that due to the delays to his world title defence last year, he now suffers from a type of "Covid paranoia". “Oh the delays last year definitely affected me," said the 35 year-old. "To the point where I would watch shows and ask why they’re not wearing masks. No one on my team has got sick, thank God, this time round. Last year people forget I was in like a five, six-month training camp because it kept getting postponed. And then I tried to fight through a camp with Covid as well and it was just a rough year for me. I think that’s why I’m so much in a good space now. I feel I’ve been through the worst.”

“I don’t want to even look at a test, I’ve taken so many as it is," added the fighter, who is open about the PTSD he has suffered from being at war as a serviceman. "But for this fight I’ll do whatever I have to do to get there. I’ve got plenty of masks, a whole wardrobe of masks now. I’m definitely going to do whatever I have to, to get there and come home healthy."

On Frampton's last opportunity, at 34, to win another world title in a third weight class, Herring said: “I know for him as a fighter, he has his back against the wall. It’s his last opportunity and he wants to make history. Of course you’ve got to expect the best performance he could possibly put up. But at the same time I have a lot of goals and dreams that I still want to accomplish. I have to win this fight, I'm taking this fight very seriously. We’ll have to see what it comes down to but I’m definitely prepared for whatever he throws at me.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/car...084141817.html

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man that's really unfortunate. One of these two must be cursed. Herring has a fights postponed twice because of Covid and yet again Frampton turns up a hand injury. Didn't he also break the right against McCreary?!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

carl getting cold feet. realizing he's in for a rude awakening
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Titofan:

The fact is GGG has fought at 160 for his entire career. Post #87, 5th August 2022
    Hidden Content

Also Titofan:

GGG weighed 163 for the Rolls fight. Post #91, 6th August 2022

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carl Frampton vs Jamel Herring: Free-to-air TV channel could yet show bout in UK

The Jackal will bid to become Ireland's first ever three-weight world champion on April 3

The Jackal will bid to become Ireland's first ever three-weight world champion when he takes on WBO World super-featherweight king Herring on Saturday, April 3.

It was announced earlier this week that the bout would be shown on iFL TV in the UK and Ireland, a boxing streaming channel which shows live events on its YouTube channel.

Now it is being reported that Channel 5 could show the fight free-to-air next Saturday night.

Mike Coppinger from The Athletic said: "Source: The Jamel Herring-Carl Frampton title tilt on April 3 will be televised on free-to-air Channel 5 in the U.K. Frampton bidding to become first Irish three-division champ ever."

Fight fans in the UK have been wondering how they will get to watch the big fight, which is taking place at the The Rotunda at Caesars Palace, Bluewaters, Dubai.

BT Sport had the rights when the fight was originally scheduled for February 27 in London, but then it was postponed after Frampton picked up a minor hand injury.

But BT appeared to have cooled their interest after the event was rescheduled for Dubai.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/...rring-20271511

Thread Information