Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Fights When a Boxer's Best Arsenal Was On Display!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Fights When a Boxer's Best Arsenal Was On Display!

Think its been awhile since we've done a thread like this?

Add any other punches not listed.

Str8 Right- Floyd Mayweather vs Arturro Gatti- He kept cocking & re-cocking with pinpoint accuracy

Str8 Left- Manny Pacquiao vs Erik Morales. 2nd fight was a thing of beauty. Morales had no answer

Uppercut- Lennox Lewis vs Michael Grant -While he did a cheap shot, holding his neck down, it was still the uppercut that ended his night)

Overhand- Ricardo Mayorga vs Trinidad- Don't think he can punch str8 if he tried! It was those overhands/haymakers that put him on his seat.

Jab- Roy Jones vs Vinny Pazienza- I agree with commentator the jab was so fast, you can hear them!!! I know Larry Holmes is considered one of the best, but when it comes to providing an example? I go with Jones vs Paz as an example of a fighter's arsenal that looked untouchable.

Body shots Roy Jones vs Virgil Hill- Bodyshots all looked nasty and to fracture one's rib IMO is the ultimate display of body shots

Combinations Meldrick Taylor vs Buddy McGirt. He combo'd all night long. 4, 6 8 piece at a time!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fights When a Boxer's Best Arsenal Was On Display!

Inside Fighting- Juan Diaz over Acelino Freitas.

Not the kind of fighter to extend his arms, fight from the outside using the jab. His game was a phonebooth fire fight fight. IMO His win over Freitas was the highlight of his career.

2 inside fighters Diaz vs Katsidis. If Katsidis is forced outside he too is limited, but inside Juan proved to be far superior.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

James Toney fighting up close, avoiding punches, brutal body shots and landing that big right hand v Blade Barkley, Charles Williams, Jirov, Holyfield.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali vs. Williams, Terell & Foley
    It's well recorded that Ali was on-fire the night he fought Williams, but at the point, just before his three year exile, he was faster than any heavyweight had a right to be, he had filled out physically, was hitting hard enough to 'one-punch' legit world-level fighters and could still dance the entire distance. This version of Ali was truly awesome.

Shane Mosley vs Oscar De la Hoya
    Both guys were razor sharp at this time and were definitely close in terms of skill the first time around.
    Watching the fight back Mosley was just hungrier, willing to push through the pain barrier to win.
    I think Mosley is tragically underated at Lightweight, but this night might have been the most razor sharp he was.

Ray Leonard vs Tommy Hearns
    Both guys.
    On the night they first met I think they could have given hell to any Welterweight from any era.
    I'm sure you get the implication, but I genuinely believe SRR would have had hell with either Tommy or SRL from that night.

Salvador Sanchez vs Wilfredo Gomez
    Chava deserves massive credit for wins over LaPorte and Nelson, but against Gomez he just seemed invincible.
    Watching back the fight it seemed that no matter what he was going to find a solution, he was going to overwhelm Gomez no matter what; like a force of nature he just couldn't be denied.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed, Ali's last hoorah before exile, himself was a weapon indeed.

I think DLH-Mosley is very under rated in terms of two young prime warriors undefeated displaying the entire arsenal. I remember Shane in between rounds said Oscar had a quicker left hook- his dad cut it down; "Son, don't think like that."

He answered that with- I think it was a left hook. What made it special was that he threw it while leaping in midair and landed it before his feet hit the canvas. Merchant said something to the effect of that is the combination of foot and hand speed at its best. I saw what he saw and it was that needed arsenal to pull away in the final few rounds.

Hearns' Jab was the weapon of the night. Ray had no tool in the box to answer. Fortunately he had some gas in the tank to go dog fight when Tommy's tank ran low. IMO Ray's speed was nullified, his boxing skills' stunted, never thought I'd see a banger outbox a slick show boat boxer. Again that jab was the key.

No disagreements with Tony, I personally would refer to it as a fighter whose style of fight was on display, not so much a particular punch.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interestingly, i read the title of this thread and before reading the opening post i thought of Mayweather Gatti

really the only time i saw him as a pace setting fighter
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Interestingly, i read the title of this thread and before reading the opening post i thought of Mayweather Gatti

really the only time i saw him as a pace setting fighter
    Zab Judah said of Micky Ward: I can still feel that body shot to this day!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One punch devastation: Michael Sprott vs Audley Harrison

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
    They stopped one another.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnnnUK View Post
    They stopped one another.
    Okay, the one when Sprott landed. The thud heard around the world!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lopez over Loma best weapon IMO was bodyshots.

stats claimed thru 11 rounds in the jab dept 32 out 274 for Lopez that would seem to indicate as busy as he was with it- that wasn't effective tool for landing- unless he was using it to set up shots.

His rights were nice, hooks too, but Loma IMo was able to block a considerable amount.

When Teo went to the body-seemed like he couldn't miss. When Loma got an edge rd 9-11, that bodywork dissappeared. He got it going at the end of the 11th.

True enough Loma was a slow starter, but it didnt matter what rounds Teo threw bodyshots, they were connecting with regularity.

Another fight I think of when a fighter won without having an [effective] jab was Bhop vs Winky Wright.
    Winky's jab was so amazing against Tito, yet it didn't work because the master chameleon who morphs his style according to the fighter in front decided to pary his jab which in turn nullified Winky's work.
    True, Bhop was also in prisonyard-shenk fight mode. But I thought it was a thing of beauty how he sacrificed trying to land jabs in order to prevent Winky from getting his off.
    Last edited by SlimTrae; 03-02-2021 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

B Hop nullified Tito Trinidad left hook was a thing of beauty.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    B Hop nullified Tito Trinidad left hook was a thing of beauty.
    by circling to his left.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bhop vs Tito is in my Top 10 Sweet Science Fights!

I'd say Bhop's best weapon vs Tito was his brain! His ring intellect never allowed Tito to focus on any one thing.
    Bhop did some nice circling to his left as stated, but the first bigs shots, he was darting in & out.

One of my favorite rounds (6) he was circling to his right more than his left, never giving Tito a blueprint to repeat anything. And Tito @ 1st, nullified that clinching by placing his elbow on Hop's collar bone- had him hemmed up at the end of the round, so Hop proved he could adjust and fight without clinching.
    Next few rounds Harold Lederman pointed out how Hop was now winning with an outside game, since Tito thwarted that clinching.

7th round his jab was nice when he circled left and his right hand landed when he circled back right, Tito didn't know where this dude was going from one second to the next.

Inside game early rounds, fought at a distance mid rounds, another definitive moment was the end of the 9th, Hop kept catching Tito, by keeping his back to the ropes- then ducking under moving to his right.

10th round was a phonebooth firefight neither fighter giving an inch. Tito catching way more than he gave.
    11th round he switched up again and took the fight to the center of the ring, lunging with nasty uppercuts, then effectively tying up Tito. Inside combos, outside potshotting, but kept it in the center of the ring.

Huge right in the 12th followed up with a soft push.

Winky beat Tito with less punishment using strictly that jab as his offense and that high guard for a near pefect defense.
    Bhop had to switch up styles, using inside game, outside, his jab was effective (when he used it) His combos almost always connected,but had to take a few to do so.

As Master stated he nullified Tito's game by painting a masterpiece using every paint brush in the kit!

Thread Information