Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
Good points walrus. I wish I could try some of that champagne vinegar. I used to buy from a Chinese store in Chinatown in Malaysia a kind of Chinese vinegar called Chinkiang.... It was really delightful. I also really love fish sauce that brown colored sauce you get from Vietnam or Thailand it really enhances dishes.
U
Ask for Chinese restaurants in the US, it is just like you say: while I was teaching a class of 29 mainland Chinese students back in Kuala Lumpur, I printed out the Chinese menu from my local Chinese restaurant in New Jersey which had the dishes in Chinese and in English

I will always remember for the rest of my life I can never forget when I called on some of the students to read the names in Chinese of the dishes on the menu!!! The entire classroom was laughing and completely mystified about what all those dishes were because they had never heard of any of those before and swore to me that they don't even know what it is and they don't have it in China

You know nonsense like general tso's chicken hahaha unbelievable
To be fair though in Boston, NYC, and many areas around the country it is possible to obtain food very similar to what one would eat in China. In the “China town areas” and elsewhere. Just not at all the corner Chinese restaurants on every corner.
Just curious, are you into hot pot?