Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Oleksandr Usyk v Joe Joyce

Oleksandr Usyk could be ordered to fight Joe Joyce while Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury takes place, according to Frank Warren.

The Hall of Fame promoter, who represents Joyce and co-promotes Fury, has revealed that preliminary talks have already taken place for Usyk vs Joyce.

Ukraine’s undisputed cruiserweight king moved up to heavyweight in 2019 and took up his option as WBO ‘super’ champion to become the mandatory challenger.

He waited his turn while AJ fought Andy Ruiz Jr and Kubrat Pulev, and is now due for his shot.

However, Joshua wants to unify against Fury and the WBO seemingly do not intend to deprive fans from seeing a rare ‘undisputed’ fight with all four belts at stake.

Warren told iFL TV: “We’re working on, at the moment, Usyk and Joe Joyce.

“I think the WBO will order that as an ‘interim’ title fight so we’re working hard to make that happen…

“The situation is that the WBO have said they’d like to do that fight as an eliminator.

“We have no objection to that and I don’t think Usyk has.

“There’s been some preliminary talks and we’ll see where we go from there. I hope [it will happen]. It’s a good fight.

“And I think whoever wins it – based on his last performance, Joe’s looking really good.

“If he comes through it, it puts the winner in a tremendous position.

“The eventual winner of the two fights between Tyson and AJ will have to defend against Joyce or Usyk, or vacate the belt.”

Regarding how he believes the fight would play out, Warren concluded: “I like Usyk, he was a tremendous cruiserweight.

“The two [heavyweight] fights I’ve seen, Chazz Witherspoon and Derek [Chisora].

“Joe is a naturally big man, Usyk has come up as a cruiserweight, he’s 34.

“It’s quite unusual for guys to do it at that age. He’s not a natural heavyweight. He can probably still make cruiserweight.

“To beat a big guy like Joe he’s gonna have to really turn it on in my opinion. You’ve got to fancy Joe to be the favourite in that fight.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/8...vs-tyson-fury/
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Oleksandr Usyk v Joe Joyce

That would be a good,interesting matchup.

Usyk is quality, but he really is a cruiserweight and will always have that disadvantage against the super heavy giant. I doubt he will dope as much as Evan Fields did! Elite level skills, great engine, and cumulative power rather than a one hit KO artist. Good chin, as far as we can tell.

Joyce is good too, though possibly not as skilled as Usyk. Long amateur career, though, so he has the fundamentals and good technique. Moves well for such a tall guy, and uses his height well. Again, good chin and not a huge puncher.

Interesting fight for those of us that admire boxing IQ and skills. It has ‘points win’ written all over it, and it would be fascinating to see who nicks it
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joyce really impressed with that telephone pole power jab, he couldn't miss and it's a beast! Both are well deep in ama experience and familiarity. Usky will not be a stationary target at all and Joyce isn't exactly will o' the wisp defense wise. Usyk in danger from opening bell to the final but think he takes a unam dec.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's cool. I prefer Usyk's choice of Wilder. He beats Wilder, we have no need to consider him ever again outside his only means to win: a puncher's chance.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Joyce really impressed with that telephone pole power jab, he couldn't miss and it's a beast! Both are well deep in ama experience and familiarity. Usky will not be a stationary target at all and Joyce isn't exactly will o' the wisp defense wise. Usyk in danger from opening bell to the final but think he takes a unam dec.
    I agree with all of that. Usyk isn't Dubois, he won't stand still.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Usyk beat Joyce over 4 rounds but I think Joe will win over 12 rounds. Joe has improved, will do better over the longer distance and I think Usyk is not as good with his injuries he has had and struggled too much against Chisora.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Usyk beat Joyce over 4 rounds but I think Joe will win over 12 rounds. Joe has improved, will do better over the longer distance and I think Usyk is not as good with his injuries he has had and struggled too much against Chisora.
    I would hope Joyce has improved, he was an amateur. Every time a Brit is underdog for a title, you back them because “they’ve improved.”
    Don’t fighters from anywhere else improve?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I would hope Joyce has improved, he was an amateur. Every time a Brit is underdog for a title, you back them because “they’ve improved.”
    What is your problem with Brits? Not being funny but you seem to have a bit of a bee in your bonnet when Brits celebrate or back fighters from here that many of us have followed for years. That is not blind optimism it is quite a natural and healthy response but you seem oddly irked by it.

If I am wrong then my apologies but that is how it comes across.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    What is your problem with Brits? Not being funny but you seem to have a bit of a bee in your bonnet when Brits celebrate or back fighters from here that many of us have followed for years. That is not blind optimism it is quite a natural and healthy response but you seem oddly irked by it.

I pictured @Primo Carnera working at his barbershop, hears a patron talking about the upcoming fight "I think Joe will win over 12 rounds."
    Patron in the chair asks "Why?"
    Patron in line replies, "Joe has improved"

To Which Primo puts down his clippers and hollers' "THERE THEY GO! :Everytime a Brit sit in this chair,ask him why he think they next great gonna win? 'Cause they improved! That's they one! That's they one reason!

To which if he wrote in that mindset? It was rather amusing to read.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

I pictured @Primo Carnera working at his barbershop, hears a patron talking about the upcoming fight "I think Joe will win over 12 rounds."
    Patron in the chair asks "Why?"
    Patron in line replies, "Joe has improved"

To Which Primo puts down his clippers and hollers' "THERE THEY GO! :Everytime a Brit sit in this chair,ask him why he think they next great gonna win? 'Cause they improved! That's they one! That's they one reason!

To which if he wrote in that mindset? It was rather amusing to read.
    One of my favourite film clips ever!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First of all , I accept your apology. I have no problem with Brits whatsoever, not even you!
    My problem isn’t with backing your fighter, regardless of whether if it is blind optimism or not.
    But to try prove that it is not blind optimism by giving reasons like “he’s improved” is pathetic.
    What happened to balance? Because you’re a Brit, you wouldn’t see it because it comes across as arrogant and disrespectful to the opposition fighter.
    If the tables were turned you would see it mate, honestly.
    If @Master were to have said :
    “Joyce has improved a lot and he has a big size advantage , hopefully that will be enough. But Usyk needs to be respected for what he has achieved and it won’t be a pushover.”
    I would have no problem whatsoever.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First of all , I accept your apology. I have no problem with Brits whatsoever, not even you!
    My problem isn’t with backing your fighter, regardless of whether if it is blind optimism or not.
    But to try prove that it is not blind optimism by giving reasons like “he’s improved” is pathetic.
    What happened to balance? Because you’re a Brit, you wouldn’t see it because it comes across as arrogant and disrespectful to the opposition fighter.
    “Joyce has improved a lot and he has a big size advantage , hopefully that will be enough. But Usyk needs to be respected for what he has achieved and it won’t be a pushover.”
    What a daft thing to say. You are seriously suggesting that being British means it is impossible to have any objectivity? You don't half assume a hell of a lot about people. It is quite funny seeing you trying to justify your own bias by imposing it on others. Usyk did not look great against Chisora. That makes any heavyweight matchup with him nowhere near the foregone conclusion people were assuming. I am not sure that Joyce is going to expose or even beat him but I don't think Master was suggesting that Usyk had not improved at all, rather that he might struggle against a younger fitter and more dangerous opponent than Del boy.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a daft thing to say. You are seriously suggesting that being British means it is impossible to have any objectivity? You don't half assume a hell of a lot about people. It is quite funny seeing you trying to justify your own bias by imposing it on others. Usyk did not look great against Chisora. That makes any heavyweight matchup with him nowhere near the foregone conclusion people were assuming. I am not sure that Joyce is going to expose or even beat him but I don't think Master was suggesting that Usyk had not improved at all, rather that he might struggle against a younger fitter and more dangerous opponent than Del boy.
    Beaner doing what Beaner does. Pick a couple of words out of a statement , change the total context to suit his argument/ opinion. So what is “my own bias”? Who am I biased towards?
    Who said it was a foregone conclusion?
    Most people would say Usyk is a better boxer, most people would say Usyk starts as favourite.
    Of course , there are questions that need answering, the main one being can he impose himself against these much bigger guys?
    As for what YOU THINK what Master was suggesting, well his words were that “ I think Joe will win over 12 rounds. Joe has improved, will do better over the longer distance .”
    So I replied asking whether Usyk had improved. Also Usyk is also a fit guy who has no question marks over his ability to do the distance.
    And you adding that he’s :
    Younger - clutching at straws, seeing as he is 35 years old.
    Fitter - fitter than Del Boy possibly, but hardly an area where he scores big against Usyk.
    More dangerous - debatable. I mean, do you see Joyce getting as close to beating a Dillian Whyte that was at the time seen as a top 4 HW along with AJ, Fury & Wilder ?
    I never said Joyce doesn’t stand a chance. After how he dispatched of Dubois, that would be disrespectful. But we must remember, Usyk is not Dubois. A very different proposition .
    I aimed my remarks at Master’s rose tinted spectacles , yet your first sentence is an aggressive “what have you got against Brits?”
    Someone is feeling a bit paranoid me thinks.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am backing Joe. He has a great strong jab and lots of experience and a really good chin. I think he will be too big over the course of the fight for the smaller Usyk.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post

I am backing Joe. He has a great strong jab and lots of experience and a really good chin. I think he will be too big over the course of the fight for the smaller Usyk.
    Plus, he's improved!

Thread Information