Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Oleksandr Usyk v Joe Joyce

Repeating what’s already been said but Usyk by UD the safe bet all the way.

While Joyce is in there he has a chance of tagging him but Usyk boxing IQ on another level and you just can’t see it.

It’s a shame for Usyk with his skill levels that he’s just not a natural heavyweight so he can mix it with the big boys. Not the first former cruiser to fall in that category.

Against the big guys winning by UD at distance is what he will need to do. He’s not going to be able to go in for the kill and engage.
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Joyce continues to improve the jab and sorts out his right hand, so it's there to block the Usyk left, he's got a great shot at winning this.

As Mark said though, Usyk points is probably the safe bet. People will point to the WSB and you can basically come to any conclusion you want. Usyk won that, he'll win over twelve. Joyce has got better since then, etc etc...

Thinking back to the WSB fight I was of the opinion that Usyk won it at a canter. I re-watched the other day and it wasn't quite that one sided, despite Richie Woodhall's salivating over everything and anything Usyk did. Joyce had decent success and won rounds for me.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joyce by late stoppage, think hell start really pressuring mid rounds and usyk will wilt

Cummon Joe
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anthony Joshua or Tyson Fury – but first Oleksandr Usyk: Joe Joyce lays out his big heavyweight plans

Joe Joyce’s time is now. The British heavyweight is two fights away from being an undefeated and undisputed world champion.

In a year where the boxing gods may finally deliver the Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury super fight everyone has been waiting for, it is another British heavyweight who has his sights set on establishing himself as the best in the world.

At 35, the silver medallist from Rio is four years younger than Joshua, despite his own Olympic exploits coming four years later.

So where Joshua was able to ease his way up to the top of the heavyweight ranks, Joyce has not had the same luxury of time.

He was already in his 30s when he turned pro in 2017, but last November’s win over Daniel Dubois put him into another stratosphere.

Now Joyce is set to take on Oleksandr Usyk, the Ukrainian who has dominated the cruiserweight division before stepping up to heavyweight.

If he can become the first person to beat the 34-year-old, then Joyce becomes the obvious candidate to take on whoever emerges from Joshua-Fury double-header.

That is a big if but it is not going to stop Joyce from dreaming big.

He said: “I don’t have the time to sit and wait around. This is my time now, I’m in my prime and I’m ready to win a world title. 2021, have some fun!

“Undefeated, undisputed, are you mad!”

It was the win over Dubois, using his jab to hammer away at the eye of his more fancied opponent, that has catapulted Joyce into the next level of the boxing ranks.

After that win in November, Joyce disappeared to Dubai for a week’s holiday, skipping the media spotlight.

The way he has gone under the radar to this point would not be possible were he to line up an all-British super fight by knocking off Usyk.

But Joyce is ready for the change of dimension.

“I don’t mind taking photographs. I’ve never been mobbed, mobbed. For Fury Wilder I, I got kind of mobbed there,” said Joyce, who is working with Purplebricks to encourage the nation to get behind Team GB on their journey to Tokyo.

“There was loads of British support and guys crying out ‘Hey, Joe Joyce’. It was great out there in the sun, there were people climbing over barriers.

“I can’t wait for that and for there to be crowds again, that’s the whole thing with boxing, building up to the main event. I can’t wait for it to go back to that.

“That was my big fight, the fight with Dubois. It was my first fight at the O2, which was going to be sell-out, pay-per-view, and then… Covid. But I’m so glad that it’s happened, I’ve won and proved a lot of people wrong and it’s really set me up at the right time for some big fights.”

Since returning from Dubai, Joyce has been back in training and building up for the fight against Usyk. That looks set to take place in London, a second meeting between the two fighters after previously squaring off in the World Series of Boxing when they were both amateurs.

Usyk won that day, but had a huge advantage in terms of experience. This time around, Joyce is adamant he will be ready.

He said: “With Dubois, his thing is the power, I had to watch out for his power. And with Usyk it’s going to be more of a mental battle, because he’s very skilful and he’s a southpaw. He’s got good footwork, so it’s going to be completely different. I’m not going to be worried about being knocked out, but outpointed or if Usyk tries to steal it from me, that’s what I’ll have to watch out for.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/boxing/ant...t-plans-845026
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Probly paints miles better than usyk n'all

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oleksandr Usyk is unbeaten but, as an amateur, lost to Shawn Porter who is now six weight classes below him! This is how…

"He wasn't a skinny bean when we fought. But he wasn't as thick as he is now" - Shawn Porter remembers how he beat Oleksandr Usyk who is now six weight divisions above him

Shawn Porter has recalled how he hit Oleksandr Usyk with a right hand to win an amateur bout which, 15 years later, feels improbable.

Former welterweight champion Porter is currently six weight classes below undefeated heavyweight Usyk but beat him when they shared a ring.

"In 2006 he fought at 165lbs (11st 13lbs)," Porter told Sky Sports.

"He fought in the 2012 Olympic Games at heavyweight [equivalent to cruiserweight in professional boxing].

"My dad said: 'You recognise this name? Remember fighting this kid?'

"I said no.

"He said: 'He's the Ukrainian that you beat in Chicago'.

"I said: 'What! He's fighting at heavyweight now?'

"Usyk was as tall as he is now, back when we fought. He is definitely bigger, heavier, stronger now.

"He wasn't a skinny bean when we fought. But he wasn't as thick as he is now."

Porter and Usyk were both 20 years old when they clashed in December 2006.

Usyk would go on to capture an Olympic gold medal in 2012 and is now unbeaten as a former undisputed cruiserweight champion and is a threat to the heavyweight titles.

But Porter, who now stands eight inches shorter and whose reach is nine inches shorter, managed to get the better of him.

He remembered on his podcast The Porter Way: "Amazing fight. Myself, Keith Thurman and 11 guys on the US team. Ukraine came over.

"Keith was 152lbs, I was 165lbs.

"Everybody comes back to the locker room losing!

"Me and Keith were in the locker room warming up. We looked at each other: 'We ain't going home with a loss'.

"I went out there against Usyk - he was tall, southpaw.

"We fought on the points system. Three out of five judges had to push a button within one second in order for you to get a point.

"First round, I was winning by two points. The second round was tied. Going into the third round my coach said: 'Line this dude up for a right hand and you will get him!'

"The final round; less than a minute in I caught him with a right hand. He didn't stumble back but he took a couple of steps back, enough for me to know that he was hurt.

"I jumped on him, kept boxing, and won the fight by four points.

"It was a close fight until the end. I thought to myself: 'I earned that - not just because he came over to the US.'"

Usyk stuck around in the amateurs until his Olympic success in 2012 but Porter turned pro in 2008, and is a two-time world welterweight champion.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...im-this-is-how

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From what I have seen of just a few fights, I think Usyk can outpace/out manuerver Joyce. Got Usyk on points.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    From what I have seen of just a few fights, I think Usyk can outpace/out manuerver Joyce. Got Usyk on points.
    I think Joyce will be too strong and big. His consistent jab will cause Usyk problems all night.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Joyce will win

only worry id have is that Usyk seems to be where the money is

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post
    I think Joyce will be too strong and big. His consistent jab will cause Usyk problems all night.
    I concur. He is bigger & stronger. Not neccesarily smarter though. Darn sure not faster. I'm going with ring IQ and fluidity in favor of the guy with the I'm crazy look.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Thread Information