Oleksandr Usyk could be ordered to fight Joe Joyce while Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury takes place, according to Frank Warren.

The Hall of Fame promoter, who represents Joyce and co-promotes Fury, has revealed that preliminary talks have already taken place for Usyk vs Joyce.

Ukraine’s undisputed cruiserweight king moved up to heavyweight in 2019 and took up his option as WBO ‘super’ champion to become the mandatory challenger.

He waited his turn while AJ fought Andy Ruiz Jr and Kubrat Pulev, and is now due for his shot.

However, Joshua wants to unify against Fury and the WBO seemingly do not intend to deprive fans from seeing a rare ‘undisputed’ fight with all four belts at stake.

Warren told iFL TV: “We’re working on, at the moment, Usyk and Joe Joyce.

“I think the WBO will order that as an ‘interim’ title fight so we’re working hard to make that happen…

“The situation is that the WBO have said they’d like to do that fight as an eliminator.

“We have no objection to that and I don’t think Usyk has.

“There’s been some preliminary talks and we’ll see where we go from there. I hope [it will happen]. It’s a good fight.

“And I think whoever wins it – based on his last performance, Joe’s looking really good.

“If he comes through it, it puts the winner in a tremendous position.

“The eventual winner of the two fights between Tyson and AJ will have to defend against Joyce or Usyk, or vacate the belt.”

Regarding how he believes the fight would play out, Warren concluded: “I like Usyk, he was a tremendous cruiserweight.

“The two [heavyweight] fights I’ve seen, Chazz Witherspoon and Derek [Chisora].

“Joe is a naturally big man, Usyk has come up as a cruiserweight, he’s 34.

“It’s quite unusual for guys to do it at that age. He’s not a natural heavyweight. He can probably still make cruiserweight.

“To beat a big guy like Joe he’s gonna have to really turn it on in my opinion. You’ve got to fancy Joe to be the favourite in that fight.”

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/8...vs-tyson-fury/