Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gotta put my kitty down

So oddly my 12 year old cat has a tumor in his chest that is pinching off his esophagus preventing him from eating. Currently giving him two solid doses of prednisone which nan help shrink tumors but I guess his is too big and he ain’t doing well. I’m going to have to put him down soon. Now he is 12 my vet called him old but sooper dooper the cat is now 23 and still going. I find that odd. I went through a couple periods where they thought sooper was going to have to take the medical cat nap but she’s still going and now her buddy Baxter who’s only about half her age is going first. Sad stuff, Baxter has been a good buddy for over a decade. Gonna suck putting him down. I guess cats aren’t much different than humans we all have unique expiration dates that make us scratch our heads

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gotta put my kitty down

On the bright side, it's just a cat.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Actually he is Baxter, not just a cat

El Kabong Guest

Hate that for you man. Having to make that call to put a pet down is never an easy one and times are stressful enough as it is these days. I'm sorry you're going through that walrus. I'm not a "cat guy" myself, I'm a "dog guy", but we have a cat and although she can be a bit of an asshole (as all cats naturally are) she has her place as a member of the family.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Hate that for you man. Having to make that call to put a pet down is never an easy one and times are stressful enough as it is these days. I'm sorry you're going through that walrus. I'm not a "cat guy" myself, I'm a "dog guy", but we have a cat and although she can be a bit of an asshole (as all cats naturally are) she has her place as a member of the family.
    Thank you. What got me is how fast this happened. He was a 16 lbd cat now he is 6-7 pounds. Like over a two week span

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Thank you. What got me is how fast this happened. He was a 16 lbd cat now he is 6-7 pounds. Like over a two week span
    That is heartbreaking man and I understand it, it is not an easy thing to go through.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is brutal dude and I'm sorry you two gotta go through that. It's never easy but speaking from experience I know you bust your ass and give all for your pets. Sometimes the challenges are insurmountable and you sound like you're keeping a level head with their best interest, quality of life in mind. We had a rescue cat at work last year with something that sounds very similar. Cancerous tumor there and your just not going into the esophagus. We managed a Peg tube on him but again, quality of life. Just as much risk of dysphagia there and tube is not a long term solution. He became septic after a few weeks and didn't make it though. 12 years is quality time spent he's lucky to have had you. Take care of yourself man.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    That is brutal dude and I'm sorry you two gotta go through that. It's never easy but speaking from experience I know you bust your ass and give all for your pets. Sometimes the challenges are insurmountable and you sound like you're keeping a level head with their best interest, quality of life in mind. We had a rescue cat at work last year with something that sounds very similar. Cancerous tumor there and your just not going into the esophagus. We managed a Peg tube on him but again, quality of life. Just as much risk of dysphagia there and tube is not a long term solution. He became septic after a few weeks and didn't make it though. 12 years is quality time spent he's lucky to have had you. Take care of yourself man.
    Thanks and thanks for your help with sooper dooper she is doing remarkably well, don’t ask me how.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Actually he is Baxter, not just a cat
    Here, here. Pets are family man. I remember when my Rocky (Golden retriever) died. It was a Sunday and I was off to church. The praise and worship song was "So long, bye bye." At that time I knew he had passed. God was sending me a message.

He meant so much to me. He helped me through my depression and joblessness. He was a real treat to have around. When I got back home he had already died and boy did I cry. He was my buddy. He was not a dog, he was Rocky. My buddy!

But I took it as a sign that I did not need his emotional support and friendship because I had gotten a job and kept it through the coronavirus. God has kept me man, when others have been losing jobs and lives... I am thriving. Started law school, kept my job, and started a new business. Things are great. All I need now is a legitimate mate/partner.

But, back to Rocky-I got him as a gift from my uncle when my other dog passed away from parvo-virus. Had him for over 10 years, so I guess it was time for him to go. I miss him so much. I have to get another dog next month.

Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well it was a bad night of last, Baxter is no more. Peace buddy Baxter you were a good buddy. Hope you enjoyed your cat life here.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well it was a bad night of last, Baxter is no more. Peace buddy Baxter you were a good buddy. Hope you enjoyed your cat life here.
    Sorry bud, you did good by him.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Sorry bud, you did good by him.
    Thanks. I perfectly understand when people make comments like “it’s just a cat” etc. and of course I’m not equating losing a pet to a human, I’ve lost both and know the difference. But when you are a pet person they really come to mean a lot to you and the loss of them certainly has an impact.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Last night, my beloved Genghis passed away. We found him this morning on the floor in the lounge peacefully. He had been with us for 17 years. If I could be the all around nice guy he was I would too die a happy man.

In all that 17 years, he never scratched us once, never bit, and was never the slightest bit unpleasant, ever or once. In turn, every single time over 17 years, I never failed to acknowledge him on pass him by without giving him a cuddle or a stroke or a few words. He always sat on my chest watching TV, purring away.

As I write this post, I am crying like a baby.

Rest in peace, my little Gengh.

Attached Images
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Last night, my beloved Genghis passed away. We found him this morning on the floor in the lounge peacefully. He had been with us for 17 years. If I could be the all around nice guy he was I would too die a happy man.

In all that 17 years, he never scratched us once, never bit, and was never the slightest bit unpleasant, ever or once. In turn, every single time over 17 years, I never failed to acknowledge him on pass him by without giving him a cuddle or a stroke or a few words. He always sat on my chest watching TV, purring away.

As I write this post, I am crying like a baby.

Rest in peace, my little Gengh.

Dude man so sorry I remember you putting up pics of him before. It really sucks I’m still missing Baxter it’s really tough finding them dead like that. You gave him a great life, he wouldn’t have lasted anywhere near 17 years in the wild. He was a pretty cat. Farewell Genghis say hi to Baxter for me. And ya I know X I shed some tears, non pet people don’t get it but we really like these little fellows

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

X sorry to hear. 17 is long. The cat looks very calm and regal.

Thread Information